Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

This is a discussion on Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; As there seems to be no RCAF thread, I will start one. Today's Ottawa Citizen is reporting the RCAF is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old June 16th, 2015   #1
Brigadier General
Threads:
Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

As there seems to be no RCAF thread, I will start one. Today's Ottawa Citizen is reporting the RCAF is looking at a combination of Predators and Avengers to meet Canada's drone needs.

A Predator C Avenger drone for the RCAF? | Ottawa Citizen

Mod edit: Fixed thread title.
-Preceptor

Last edited by Preceptor; June 20th, 2015 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Fixing/capitalizing thread title
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015
John Fedup
This message has been deleted by Preceptor. Reason: Duplicate post after thread title correction
Old June 20th, 2015   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
As there seems to be no RCAF thread, I will start one. Today's Ottawa Citizen is reporting the RCAF is looking at a combination of Predators and Avengers to meet Canada's drone needs.

A Predator C Avenger drone for the RCAF? | Ottawa Citizen
I am surprised that there isn't more interest in the Predator C (Avenger). I understand why the US wouldn't go for it as they have an existing predator A & B fleets and high end UAVs but for countries looking it acquire a new capability - why wouldn't you?

Hopefully the RAAF gives it some consideration...
Bluey 006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #3
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Hi John

Any idea when they are going to figure out the replacement fighter project yet?
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #4
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
Hi John

Any idea when they are going to figure out the replacement fighter project yet?
Nothing will happen until after the election this coming October. The Conservatives will likely loose their majority or worse the NDP might form the next government. Either way, it means delay and possibly a wrong choice.
Old June 20th, 2015   #5
Private
Threads:
[QUOTE=John Fedup;295306]As there seems to be no RCAF thread, I will start one. Today's Ottawa Citizen is reporting the RCAF is looking at a combination of Predators and Avengers to meet Canada's drone needs.QUOTE]

The Predator C / Avenger seems to have had the interest of folks in the RCAF for some time, but apparently the civilian overlords at the DND have been leery about the politics of buying stealthy armed drones... not very Canadian eh! So it'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Regarding the RCAF in general, the now 10+ years and counting program to replace it's fixed-wing SAR capability is probably the only procurement that is high on the defense spending shopping list; and will likely be the only new aircraft the RCAF will see for some time.
Delta204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015   #6
Brigadier General
Threads:
[quote=Delta204;295475]
Quote:
As there seems to be no RCAF thread, I will start one. Today's Ottawa Citizen is reporting the RCAF is looking at a combination of Predators and Avengers to meet Canada's drone needs.QUOTE]

The Predator C / Avenger seems to have had the interest of folks in the RCAF for some time, but apparently the civilian overlords at the DND have been leery about the politics of buying stealthy armed drones... not very Canadian eh! So it'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Regarding the RCAF in general, the now 10+ years and counting program to replace it's fixed-wing SAR capability is probably the only procurement that is high on the defense spending shopping list; and will likely be the only new aircraft the RCAF will see for some time.
Yes, it seems there is finely some movement on th FWSAR front. It will be interesting to see if LM offers the C-130J for this role. The RCAF favours the C-27 and it is a great aircraft and would be preferable to the C-295 as it has more speed but as we have a C-130J fleet already and are currently using H's in this role, the J's have merit.

I think the predator/avenger package might be easier to move forward than the F-35.
Old June 21st, 2015   #7
Brigadier General
Threads:
The RCAF has received the first 6 CH-148 Cyclones. The much delayed maritime helicopter program still will have to wait for upgrades to make these units fully compliant to agreed upon specifications. The total order will be 28 units.

The transmission run-dry spec for 30 minutes has been met. This feature was not available in the cilivian S-92 that crashed in Newfoundland several years ago. The Cyclone was derived from the military version of this helicopter (H-92).
Old June 21st, 2015   #8
Brigadier General
Threads:
Preceptor, thanks for the title fix.
Old September 22nd, 2015   #9
Brigadier General
Threads:
Justin Trudeau, leader of Canada's Liberal party, announced he will rule out a F-35 purchase and put the money into the RCN. This announcement was made in an election stopover in Halifax, NS where Irving shipyards will build future(distant) naval ships. Turd Jr., just as big a POS as his old man was! If this idiot gets elected expect a surge of Canadian Forces members to be applying to Commonwealth forces for a job.
Old September 22nd, 2015   #10
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Justin Trudeau, leader of Canada's Liberal party, announced he will rule out a F-35 purchase and put the money into the RCN. This announcement was made in an election stopover in Halifax, NS where Irving shipyards will build future(distant) naval ships. Turd Jr., just as big a POS as his old man was! If this idiot gets elected expect a surge of Canadian Forces members to be applying to Commonwealth forces for a job.
I could be wrong but the captain of Hmas Canberra is an ex Canadian? Saddler I think his name is......
meatshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015   #11
General
Threads:
Quote:
Well the current lot have managed so far to avoid making a decision on the F35. Procrastination 101 methinks. They will have to make a decision sometime soon, before the sun expands and then shrinks back to a white dwarf. So they have about 12 billion years in which to make that decision
Old September 22nd, 2015   #12
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
If this idiot gets elected expect a surge of Canadian Forces members to be applying to Commonwealth forces for a job.
The RAAF is already a 5I's service

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015   #13
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I kindly agree with him that the F-35 would be the wrong plane for CAF. Personally, I think the Super Hornets or Typhoons (God Forbid) are probably a better choice for them. I favour a twin engine jets as Canada has a vast area of land for the AF to cover. I know the argument about the reliability of modern jet engines and how single jet has equal accident rate as twin engines, blah blah.. but if I were a CAF pilot, I would go with a twin engine jet anytime if I have to fly up North and anywhere near the arctic.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015   #14
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
I kindly agree with him that the F-35 would be the wrong plane for CAF. Personally, I think the Super Hornets or Typhoons (God Forbid) are probably a better choice for them. I favour a twin engine jets as Canada has a vast area of land for the AF to cover. I know the argument about the reliability of modern jet engines and how single jet has equal accident rate as twin engines, blah blah.. but if I were a CAF pilot, I would go with a twin engine jet anytime if I have to fly up North and anywhere near the arctic.
You could transfer those thoughts to the RAAF and change the Artic circle to the red centre, both have there extremes of temp, Artic patrol are only one aspect of operational needs they also have treaty obligations within Europe via NATO and may be called upon for a variety of diffrent operations, better to hold the ace than the joker
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015   #15
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
You could transfer those thoughts to the RAAF and change the Artic circle to the red centre, both have there extremes of temp, Artic patrol are only one aspect of operational needs they also have treaty obligations within Europe via NATO and may be called upon for a variety of diffrent operations, better to hold the ace than the joker
But that would have been taken into account during the assessment phase of the project by the Au DoD. Whilst I acknowledge the advantage of twin engines, they are not then be all to end all.

Regarding the Typhoon, it's not that much of a dog when Luftwaffe Typhoons are able to catch and "shoot down" F22s in air combat exercises. So it does have its advantages. I believe that it has a very high thrust to weight ratio. It's just the price tag that is coronary inducing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: