Recruitment in the RAAF

Nick.Leijer

Hi my name is nick,

I'm 14 and live in Sydney, Australia and am incredibly keen on joining ADFA and than moving on to become a fighter pilot with the RAAF. I do Army cadets (air force cadets isn't really an option) as well as Scouts. I have almost achieved my Australian Scout Medallion. I love RC planes as well as plane modelling and am a huge gamer on flight simulators. I came 9th in my grade at a GPS school (SHORE) in Sydney and am planning on doing 4 unit maths, physics and chemistry for the HSC. On my current rate of development, I will be looking at an ATAR of around 95. I have almost achieved my bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award and will hopefully in the future achieve both my silver and gold awards. I am involved in many sports including soccer and rowing. I am captain of my school soccer team and am the coxswain for my school grade's first rowing. I am also aspiring to become a prefect in Year 12.

I cannot wait until I can first sign up for ADFA/RAAF but there is just one issue, I am short sighted and am required to wear glasses however my right eye is only short sighted and my left eye has 20/20 vision. I was just wondering if I had to do more in terms of becoming a pilot and if I can still become one if I have this issue.

I also found a document on the web about the visual requirements for being a pilot, this is the link backwards (am a newbie so can't post links) if you want to check it out:
fdp.noitaivA_stnemeriuqeR_noisiV_FDA/sdtsnoisiv/ua.moc.wsnaao.www//:ptth

Thank you and sorry for so much stuff

Nick

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi my name is nick,

I'm 14 and live in Sydney, Australia and am incredibly keen on joining ADFA and than moving on to become a fighter pilot with the RAAF. I do Army cadets (air force cadets isn't really an option) as well as Scouts. I have almost achieved my Australian Scout Medallion. I love RC planes as well as plane modelling and am a huge gamer on flight simulators. I came 9th in my grade at a GPS school (SHORE) in Sydney and am planning on doing 4 unit maths, physics and chemistry for the HSC. On my current rate of development, I will be looking at an ATAR of around 95. I have almost achieved my bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award and will hopefully in the future achieve both my silver and gold awards. I am involved in many sports including soccer and rowing. I am captain of my school soccer team and am the coxswain for my school grade's first rowing. I am also aspiring to become a prefect in Year 12.

I cannot wait until I can first sign up for ADFA/RAAF but there is just one issue, I am short sighted and am required to wear glasses however my right eye is only short sighted and my left eye has 20/20 vision. I was just wondering if I had to do more in terms of becoming a pilot and if I can still become one if I have this issue.

I also found a document on the web about the visual requirements for being a pilot, this is the link backwards (am a newbie so can't post links) if you want to check it out:

Nick
Hi Nick, welcome to the Forum. I would suggest that you contact a RAAF recruiting officer to find out the full info. They will be able to help you in the first instance.

VerySneaky

Hi my name is nick,

Nick
Hi Nick,

I'm not sure how credible your source is, but as already mentioned if you're interested in finding a definitive answer on cut-off limits for visual acuity you'd be best off contacting DFR directly. I do know that there are provisions for laser corrected eyesight should you not fall within the acceptable range, but there is a waiting period after having it and is probably something to explore with your doctor closer to when you're aiming to enlist as I'm aware eyes can take a while to develop and settle. Regardless, you'll find out whether this is necessary when you go in to DFR for assessment day.

I'm far from an expert on this, however this journal article may shed some light on the ADF stance on refractive surgery and corrections:
http://www.defence.gov.au/health/infocentre/journals/adfhj_sep03/adfhealth_4_2_84-92.pdf

Also, this thread has a phenomenal amount of information regarding pilot entry into the ADF, and I would recommend a read as many issues you will face are covered in great depth:
RAAF Flight Screening Program (Merged) - PPRuNe Forums

I'd also like to disclaim what I've just presented: I'm in no way advocating refractive surgery, but I have been in your position before (applying for pilot with health issues), and so I can understand your desire to find out the restrictions that may be applied to you and possible solutions.

Cheers and good luck,

VS

Nick.Leijer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys but is there any other information other than a RAAF recruiting officer or Defence force publications that can provide me with more information as i have already trawled through everything there. Stuff like personal experiences or things you've heard