RAAF F-35 Question

RAAFsuperhornet

This is my first post, so I apologize if this has been asked previously. Im currently in year 10, and soon to be year 11 at school. As we all know, the RAAF will be acquiring around 100 F-35s around 2012-2017 and this brings me to my question. Assuming I am accepted to join the defence force, and everything works out, what are the chances of myself being trained to fly the F-35. I will finish high school in 2011, and the entire officer training, and flight training last for 1.5-2 years or longer. This will bring it to 2013. As the Super Hornets will be in service by then, would they train me to fly these aircraft, or the F-35? I know this is a difficult question, so Im hoping there is a current or ex RAAF pilot here. Another question would be, with only 24 Super Hornets, would all the other classic hornet pilots be retrained to fly the F-35s, or continue to fly the classic hornetS. I'd imagine they wouldn't retrain a fully capable hornet pilot to another aircraft platform. I hope this isnt a too long post, Im really interested to see how this will work.

bren122

even if accepted for flight training there is no guarantee that you would progress to fast jet training. the process of flight training begins with propellor driven aircraft to trainer jets and then onto a specific platform. it is entirely possible that in your career you could be trained on both the superhornet and the Lightening II, and any other platforms used by the RAAF.
i don't quite know how to put this without sounding condescending- but there are more than 24 pilots on F-18 at the moment so a lot of them will be trained for the Lightening II. as i understand it the best pilots are going into the Superhornet regardless of their experience on F-111 or F-18. when the F-18 Growler is introduced many of these will transition to that platform with the rest forming a core for Superhornet squadrons and then the remainder will transition to the F-35.
of course i am just going off press reports and could be wrong about the actual details.

south

This is my first post, so I apologize if this has been asked previously. Im currently in year 10, and soon to be year 11 at school. As we all know, the RAAF will be acquiring around 100 F-35s around 2012-2017 and this brings me to my question. Assuming I am accepted to join the defence force, and everything works out, what are the chances of myself being trained to fly the F-35. I will finish high school in 2011, and the entire officer training, and flight training last for 1.5-2 years or longer. This will bring it to 2013. As the Super Hornets will be in service by then, would they train me to fly these aircraft, or the F-35? I know this is a difficult question, so Im hoping there is a current or ex RAAF pilot here. Another question would be, with only 24 Super Hornets, would all the other classic hornet pilots be retrained to fly the F-35s, or continue to fly the classic hornetS. I'd imagine they wouldn't retrain a fully capable hornet pilot to another aircraft platform. I hope this isnt a too long post, Im really interested to see how this will work.
Mate, couple of things - with the timeline you are proposing it is extreeeeeemely unlikely you will go straight to pilot training from High School. Two routes - DEO or ADFA. DEO entries are generally ~20 minimum age, the exception is younger, and it would be exceptional for a guy straight out of high school to get selected. I suggest you do some research on the defjobs website re DEO or ADFA.

As for your chances personally. Assuming you get selected it depends how much work you want to put in as an individual as to your chances of firstly getting selected for fast jets and secondly succeeding.

Also most of the classic guys are going to be retrained. Doesn't make any sense to have them sitting around doing nothing when the Classic is retired. Doesn't make much sense to have the F-35 brought into service with no experienced guys to develop tactics etc....

it is entirely possible that in your career you could be trained on both the superhornet and the Lightening II, and any other platforms used by the RAAF.
True

i don't quite know how to put this without sounding condescending- but there are more than 24 pilots on F-18 at the moment so a lot of them will be trained for the Lightening II. as i understand it the best pilots are going into the Superhornet regardless of their experience on F-111 or F-18. when the F-18 Growler is introduced many of these will transition to that platform with the rest forming a core for Superhornet squadrons and then the remainder will transition to the F-35.
of course i am just going off press reports and could be wrong about the actual details.
Not quite so true. The "Best" pilots are being spread around as always. There are both F-111 and Hornet drivers moving to the Super.

Crusader2000

Banned Member

Do you live near any RAAF Bases? As I would go directly to the source! (i.e. current RAAF Fighter Pilots) As they can give you a insight that no one on this forum could come close too! If, not go to the next nearby AIrshow and find a RAAF Pilot or find a RAAF Assoc Web Site...........