Question for news article on UAV engineering…

SysEng

Trying to get some background for potential news article about engineering challenges for aircraft fluid systems – the focus being contrasts of designing for UAVs vs. manned aircraft.

Engineers I interviewed have mentioned: designing effective avionics cooling systems within a smaller footprint and designing for more demanding mission profiles.

Are these two challenges typical for UAV vs. manned aircraft design? Does anyone have other suggested design challenges that would be of interest?

Just trying to make sure my article addresses relevant engineering topics before I invest time researching them. Any insights / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cooling systems are definitely an issue in manned aircraft too, especially in dealing with reducing the IR signal.

Kilo 2-3

The F-35 uses its fuel as a heat sink to cool its systems and cut down on IR signature.(F-35 May Need Thermal Management Changes On GlobalSpec). It isn't a perfect solution since towards the end of the mission most of the fuel has been consumed, reducing the heat storage capacity there; but its still a rather creative solution to the problem.

Now, if you're dealing with a solar-powered UAV like NASA's Helios, then that's a whole new ballgame and fuel-based cooling systems aren't an option.

Radiators integrated into the skin of the aircraft (along the leading of the edges of the wing) might be a solution, although this could increase IR signature and could increase drag slightly. They'd probably work best a for a Global Hawk-type UAVs which tend standoff missions, since the IR signature issues and damage control (small arms damage to radiators could result in avionics overheating) problems would be less signficant.

A disclaimer here though: I'm just a punter whose interested in defense as a hobby. I'm not privy to any classified information beyond what's in the public domain and I would not treat my ideas as anything definitive, official, or authoritative. I'm merely stating my opinions as to the options and potential options already out there.