Question on comparing the F-35 with the F-15/F-16.

AICfan1989

I'm sure this has been beaten to death already but how loud is the F-35 in full afterburner compared to an F-15 and F-16 in full afterburner? And what about F-35 vs F15/F16 in military thrust?

F-15 Eagle

I would bet that the F-35 is louder than the F-15 and F-16 in full AB.

F-35 has one F135 with 40,000 lbs of thrust
F-15 has two PW-220 with 23,000 lbs of thrust
F-16 has one PW-229 with 29,000 lbs of thrust.
F-22 has two F-119 with 35,000lbs of thrust.

The F-35 has to be louder than the F-15 or F-16 in AB don't know why the 2009 study has the F-35 at 148 dB and the F-16 at 150 dB.

Last edited:

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
It does not have to be louder. It's all a matter of exhaust velocity.

The F-35 (with it's limit of mach ~1.6) does not need the high exhaust velocities of the F-15 & F-16 to get to mach 2+. The higher the velocity the higher the noise.

F-15 Eagle

It does not have to be louder. It's all a matter of exhaust velocity.

The F-35 (with it's limit of mach ~1.6) does not need the high exhaust velocities of the F-15 & F-16 to get to mach 2+. The higher the velocity the higher the noise.
Top speed has nothing to do with noise....

The PW-229 does not have higher exhaust velocity than the F135.

The B-1B only goes mach 1.2 but its louder than any other jet in the USAF.

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
This thread is actually repeating itself on two other boards :)

I am waiting for TEG (The Engine Guy) on the F-16.net to weigh in and give us a hand.

As far as the exhaust velocity of the PW-229 & F135, where are you getting your data from.

As far as the B-1B, it has FOUR engines with very high exhaust velocity, especially in full A/B.

F-15 Eagle

This thread is actually repeating itself on two other boards :)

I am waiting for TEG (The Engine Guy) on the F-16.net to weigh in and give us a hand.

As far as the exhaust velocity of the PW-229 & F135, where are you getting your data from.

As far as the B-1B, it has FOUR engines with very high exhaust velocity, especially in full A/B.
Two boards?:confused:

Anyway I'm pretty sure the exhaust velocity for the F-35 is no different than an F-15 or F-16.

What I want is for the USAF to just release a study of the F-35s noise levels compared to legacy fighters and stop remaining quiet about it.

BTW is that PDF your posted an official noise study by the USAF?

F-15 Eagle

I found a patent that shows that by altering the trailing edge of a jet in a chevron pattern (ala F135), it reduces noise and IR signature. This may be another reason why the F135 is not as loud as one might think due to it's total thrust.

Chevron exhaust nozzle for a gas ... - Google Patent Search
I can assure you the F135 does not have lower noise or IR signature over current engines, the F135 is ether just a little louder or a lot louder but at minimum the F-35 is comparable to current fighters in noise.

Sea Toby

I drive by the ends of the runways at the former Carswell AFB, I believe its called a Joint Reserve Base now, every day with Hornets, Falcons, and Lightning IIs taking off and landing. From what my ears hear, they are all as loud as another. What bothers me more are sonic booms... I get the jumps every time when the aircraft pass the sound barrier...

Why the fuss? I get the same jumps when a train blows their horn approaching a railroad crossing...

F-15 Eagle

I drive by the ends of the runways at the former Carswell AFB, I believe its called a Joint Reserve Base now, every day with Hornets, Falcons, and Lightning IIs taking off and landing. From what my ears hear, they are all as loud as another. What bothers me more are sonic booms... I get the jumps every time when the aircraft pass the sound barrier...

Why the fuss? I get the same jumps when a train blows their horn approaching a railroad crossing...
Wait you heard F-35s? Man I never get to hear sonic booms.:D

Anyway the F-35 is the same in noise level to the F-22 and F-18 Super Hornet and less then 10% louder than the F-15/F-16, Lightning II's those suckers will be loud as with all current F-15s, 16s, 18s and 22s.

In afterburner the F-35 is the same as the F-15C and F-18 and close to the F-22. No noise difference between them all though.

SpudmanWP

The Bunker Group
I can assure you the F135 does not have lower noise or IR signature over current engines, the F135 is ether just a little louder or a lot louder but at minimum the F-35 is comparable to current fighters in noise.
I did not say it was quieter than today's engines, just quieter (and with a lower IR signature) than a F-135 that does not have the new LOAN-style nozzle (as on the AA-1).

F-15 Eagle

I did not say it was quieter than today's engines, just quieter (and with a lower IR signature) than a F-135 that does not have the new LOAN-style nozzle (as on the AA-1).
Do the newer F-35s have the LOAN-style nozzle because I have not heard anything about it?