Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

china-UAV-conf-10.jpg

china-UAV-conf-09.jpg

china-UAV-conf-08.jpg

china-UAV-conf-07.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Predator share of total UAV amount

This is a discussion on Predator share of total UAV amount within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hey, Since I am writing a coursework on drone policy, I came across a newspaper article, claiming that the Pentagon ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 13th, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Predator share of total UAV amount

Hey,

Since I am writing a coursework on drone policy, I came across a newspaper article, claiming that the Pentagon is in control of a fleet of roughly 19.000 UAVs. Can anyone tell me, whether that number is accurate and how many of them are Predator drones?

Thanks in advance
bastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ukraine manufacturers of unmanned aerial vehicles andy1 Air Force & Aviation 14 June 1st, 2014 03:10 PM
Singapore Army Pictures OPSSG Military Photos & Videos 99 March 5th, 2014 06:23 AM
Air Power 101 for New Members OPSSG Air Force & Aviation 24 April 20th, 2013 11:18 AM
TuRkish Army [TR]AHMET Army & Security Forces 5 September 5th, 2004 01:14 PM

Old March 13th, 2013   #2
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastik View Post
Hey,

Since I am writing a coursework on drone policy, I came across a newspaper article, claiming that the Pentagon is in control of a fleet of roughly 19.000 UAVs. Can anyone tell me, whether that number is accurate and how many of them are Predator drones?

Thanks in advance
Well according to Hollywood that great source of accuracy on the military and in particular the Homeland tv show the CIA has eight or nine thousand Predators! LOL. In reality there were only just over 400 Predators built to date of which less than 100 are in the CIA. But if you want to add them all up in precise numbers of makes and models go to Wikipedia:

General Atomics MQ-1 Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abraham Gubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
I would hazard a guess that the bulk of that UAV number is made up of relatively cheep small intel drones.

Its a really diverse group of machines really, from tiny little UAV's with a camera attached to the front to massive aircraft size units with radars and weapons payload etc.

Good work on your project mate.
King Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: