Poll: Should Israel strike Iran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weasel1962

Tot I do a simple poll to take views on whether Israel should strike Iran's nuclear facilities.

Yes --- or --- No.

No right, left or correct, wrong answers. Feel free to post honest opinions. Justification not required but if one choose to do so, go ahead...

whatsup

IMHO Isreal should not and must not, the world know that Isreal have the means and the capability to do it, but the retaliation either from Iran, Hezbollah or even the Arab world must be considered. The fact is, not only Isreal is worry about the reactors, even the arab world are thinking about it (Sunni - Shia factor). Let not be another "misadventure"by the Isrealis side, Turkey ( Islamic nation ) the closest ally of Isreal is moving further away from Isreal after the "Flotilla Incident" and Obama support from the arabs state have been winding down. The raid on Osirak that was done, was of different geo-political state, and i believe, Iran will retaliate by proxy or by going to choke the straits, or even directly. they are willing to take a certain lost. Again IMHO it's not worth the risk, America after the Bush administration have lost the "leadership" after Iraq debacle and now the world is watching Afganistan, if Isreal were to go ahead, the rest of the world will undoubtly know the that US had given the tacit approval, be it the truth or not, and the Arabs will incline to Iran and forgo the mistrust towards Iran as they are the victim.

t68

Tot I do a simple poll to take views on whether Israel should strike Iran's nuclear facilities.

Yes --- or --- No.

No right, left or correct, wrong answers. Feel free to post honest opinions. Justification not required but if one choose to do so, go ahead...

Jeez that’s a tough question in realty. I also think it is a bit hypocritical of the west in regards to nuclear weapons’. It is the right of a sovereign nation to protect its citizens in a manner which it thinks is best.

I personally do not know enough of the situation to be able to make an informed opinion. It is a bit like WMD in Iraq pre GWII with intelligence stating one thing but realty on the ground once they went in is another. That is not say they may not be leading up to building a device, under the cover of flawed intelligence bluffing their way thru it with past problems of US Intelligence estimates in regards to GWII.

Understandably the western governments are concerned about a nuclear armed Iran but are more concerned about a stable Iranian government with links to Hamas, Hezbollah and al Qaeda. Israel's nuclear weapons program date back to the late 1950s and according to U.S. Intelligence estimates, is thought to have between 75 and 130 devices. I believe that the US cannot support one and be so hostile with the other, hypocritical thinking, all of the Middle East should be nuclear weapons free but you won’t see a dismantling of Israelis nuclear weapons.

Terrorism - Iran, Israel, and Nuclear Weapons in the Middle East

Turkey has also had nuclear weapons under US control, but are thinking about an independent nuclear arms under direct Turkey control, but are weary of the backlash from the US and NATO allies, will the US intervene in Turkey the same way they have dealt with Iran?

Turkey Starting Nuclear Weapons Program | World Threats

Kilo 2-3

If Israel wants to strike Iran's nuclear capability, then the stakes are very high. The Israeli strike package has to a.) overfly a signficant amount of airspace belonging to other countries, b.) penetrate the Iranian IADS network c.) do it with no losses (captured Israeli pilots would be a major bargaining chip and propaganda coup for Iran), and d.) destroy all/most of Iran's nuclear weapon stockpiles, relevant R&D capability, and production facilities in a single mission. Going back a second time to destroy any missed or overlooked targets will probably not be an option.

Anything the Israeli strike misses will be guarded and protected even more closely, and it would stall further international efforts, since Iran would probably bar further UN inspection. And, assuming Iran has completed a weapon by the time of the strike, there is the possibility of this /warhead being used in a retaliatory attack. How successful such an attack would be is open for debate; but the chance, however slim, of a nuclear counter-strike on Tel Aviv is one Israeli policymakers will need to consider.

Plus, an angered Iran would likely step up its effort to subvert Israel, supplying Hesbollah and other insurgent groups with weapons, training, financial support etc.

Bombing Iran will not be as (relatively) simple as another Osirak. The risks are greater, the stakes higher, and the outcry will be stronger. Iran may be a "rogue nation," but an uprovoked attack will not improve Israel's stature on the world scene.

It's up to Israel and the clock is ticking...

T68, as for "hypocrisy," the core of this (complicated) issue seems simple to me. Turkey is a nation with a clean track record and closes ties to the US. The odds that they're going to go nuking their neighbors or US troops is fairly low.

Iran on the other hand, is a "wild card," a nation that has fought wars with its neighbors in recent memory and has a clearly established, oft-repeated policy of anti-Isrealism and anti-Americanism. Allowing them to have nukes is a far greater threat to US interest than allowing long-time NATO partner Turkey to have them, even though Turkey's current politics are in some turmoil.

Is it fair? No. But is it pragmatic? I'd say yes.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
By the rules of the DT forum threads which may be deemed as offensive in nature by some members are not allowed. However, in light of the well behaved responses the thread is being reviewed by mods for consideration whether to kill it or let it live.

Status
Not open for further replies.