PAF undertakes aerial relief operation

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
dear webster,please merge this with the existing PAKISTANI AIR FORCE thread

PAF undertakes aerial relief operation

Islamabad: The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has undertaken large- scale relief operations for the victims of earthquake.

C-130 aircraft of Pakistan Air Force carried out aerial delivery of the relief goods to the victims of earthquake in Balakot area on Monday.

The relief goods included tents, blankets, sleeping bags and foods stuff.

The aerial delivery was carried out in the areas where access through ground has been hampered due to large- scale damage of the roads.

Another C-130 was used in the role of Air Ambulance whereby it carried 60 seriously injured persons from Islamabad to Gujranwala airfield. The injured were brought from Azad Kashmir and they were required to be immediately shifted to Gujranwala Combined Military Hospital (CMH). Pakistan Air Force Boeing 707 and C-130 aircraft flew number of sorties between Karachi - Islamabad and Karachi - Kamra to airlift relief goods donated by citizens of Karachi.

These relief goods, which have been collected at the Relief Camp organized by Pakistan Air Force at PAF Museum Karachi, includes various edible material ( Dry Milk, Biscuits, Rice, Flour, Ghee, Sugar, Pulses, Juices , Mineral Water), Tents, Blankets, Shoes, Clothes, Utensils and Medicines. From Islamabad and Kamra the relief goods would be transported to earthquake hit areas.

PAF' s Y-12 aircraft and cargo helicopters have also been employed to airlift relief cargo consisting of medicines, and rescue teams to Rawalakot, Muzafarabad, Bagh and other earthquake hit areas of the country.

The aircraft have also been utilized to transport dead and injured to Islamabad from effected areas.

this is not enough! 8 helicopters are sent by the USAF directly from Kabul additional c-130 along with the c-17 are to arrive tomorrow.

I can bet my life the Prime minister and President's first priority after this is to go back shopping for military aviation helicopters.

ThunderBolt

Pakistan badly needs helicopters for both troop transprotation and relief operations. Is Pakistan going to keep these helis/what kind of helis did they sent for aid.

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the Alouette 3 from france were sent in to drop off troops and to pick up the wounded. The Mi-8 was sent was also for troop drops off and relief operation. Few mi-17 are there too.that is all i know of. The PAF is desperate for some, people are saying that they might go for Chinook 47 and not to mention the the Black Hawk. The PAF also is interested in others. IAF offered for the Mi-26...which is capable of air-lifting a chinook-47. We accepted it. PAF is looking for 20 more AH-1F with the F-16 deal, but if i were president i would exchange those with 10 chinook-47 and 10 black hawks. The UH-1H is also similar to the Black hawk, i dunno why they were not deployed.

As i watch CNN, one helicopter landed for CNN reporters and everybody crowded thinkin it was the Pakistani Army. one man says "Where is the Pakistani Army?"

then when a Mi-8 does land people complain "thats not enough" and say that "even when they arrive, they arrive late"

a few trucks came and people jumped all over them!

only 8 helicopters OF OURS are in the danger fields in more than 2 days...but in less than 3 days 8 U.S. helicopters flew in from afghanistan!!!!

Last edited:

Shaheen

I think That The govern met of pakistan should go for CH-47 Chinook Helicopter or mi-26 halo,chinook helicopters have a capicity,for medical evacuation chinook can accomodate 24-25 litters

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
We have abt 20+ or some thing Mi-17, 5 Chinooks & three more U.S transport halicopters at service but more is required. Counting on NATO & EU.

BilalK

We supposedly ordered/requested quite a bit of transport helicopters, like Bell UH-1Hs, and Russian Mi-17s. I suppose this will be a good lesson to everyone as to why and how important C-130s, transport helicopters, etc are.

fieldmarshal

Federal relief commissioner named

By our correspondent

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz on Monday announced the appointment of Prime Minister’s Inspection Commission (PMIC) Chairman Maj-Gen Farooq Ahmed as Federal Relief Commissioner to coordinate the relief operations.

"The task of the federal relief commissioner is to coordinate the relief operation and will coordinate the efforts of the Pakistan Army, Air Force, different ministries and different government institutions to speed up the relief operation and will submit the daily present the report to him," said Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz while addressing a press conference here

Foreign Minister Khursheed Kasuri, Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Northern Areas Makhdoom Faisal Salah Hayat and PML Secretary-General Mushahid Hussain Sayed were also present during the press conference.

The prime minister said Pakistan has received foreign aid of $100 million including $50 million from Washington besides assistance in terms of goods to provide relief to the affected people. "The amount is in addition to the relief goods and medicines being sent by them and the rescue teams," he added. He said 35 helicopters have been pressed into operation to supply relief goods to the affected areas. "Eight American helicopters have also arrived and they would be joining the fleet from tomorrow," he added.

Appealing for international assistance, the prime minister said Pakistan needs financial help, tents, blankets, medicines and plants and equipment to clear roads and rubble. In reply to a question regarding India’s offer for financial assistance, he said Pakistan welcomes financial assistance from India for the earthquake areas. "India’s request has come and there is no bar on taking assistance from India and, therefore, we welcome the assistance," he said.

The prime minister said five base camps are being set up in major locations in earthquake-hit areas to increase the capacity to get relief to the affected peoples. "Supplies coming from abroad and donations gathered from home would be sent to these camps for onward distribution to different areas through helicopters," he added.

He said the Pakistan Railways is running special trains to take relief goods from various destinations to Islamabad while PIA is airlifting them to the capital for onward transmission. The PM said priority is also being given to the establishment of PCOs and provisions of satellite and mobile phone facilities so that people could have communication with their relatives. The prime minister visited Balakot, the most affected area, and issued necessary directives to the authorities concerned for carrying out rescue activities as the road has been opened after two days’ efforts. "I have contributed one million rupees from my pocket in the quake relief fund." He said Balakot has badly been damaged, its main hospital, college, high schools and private clinics and hospitals have all been damaged. "A field hospital has been established there," he added. He said the roads link for Muzaffarabad, Islamabad and Balakot has been cleared and the relief operations has picked up and it is expected that the situation will be further improved.

The prime minister said the cities damaged by the earthquake would be re-planned on modern lines making them earthquake-proof with the help of the international community. He appreciated the work of the volunteers in providing aid to the victims and said he dispatched a team of forty volunteers to the affected areas. Similarly, he said a number of NGOs, civil society organisations and political parties are also in the forefront of the effort to provide relief to the victims.

Hussain

Would Pakistan be able to maintain a Chinook. I believe in the past Pakistan was reluctant to induct new helicopters because thay are complex. They are also dificult to maintain when the US cuts off spares supplies. I would go for the Mil Mi17 or improved Mi 8 with anti tak capbilities. They seem to be rugged and dependable.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
I think, the quake may just give rise to Pakistan's own heli program. Although, that is highly unlikely but I think many in the Pak forces will be thinking along those lines.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Hussain said:
Would Pakistan be able to maintain a Chinook. I believe in the past Pakistan was reluctant to induct new helicopters because thay are complex. They are also dificult to maintain when the US cuts off spares supplies. I would go for the Mil Mi17 or improved Mi 8 with anti tak capbilities. They seem to be rugged and dependable.
Lol they will be in Pakistan for a small period of time may be for a month or two there is no need to train PAFs or Army pilots on Chinooks they would be surely operated by the US pilots and the guidance will be given by the Pakistani personals.
I have seen on a channel that they are exploiting the situation they are saying that there is no govt official in the farflung effected area.They cant understand that when the roads a blocked how can someone reach there the only mean which is to reaach there is the helicopters,they are in limited number so they were on their way for the rescue now the roads are open now international and national teams are reaching there the situation will get better and there is a lot of work there for the reinhebilitation of the effected people.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
WebMaster said:
I think, the quake may just give rise to Pakistan's own heli program. Although, that is highly unlikely but I think many in the Pak forces will be thinking along those lines.
Webby not only the Heli program also the Crisis management Program for the earthquakes and flooding and new devices must be installed which will help in the quick recovery of the people effected

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I think Pakistan now should consider buying 2nd hand Chinooks from U.S. C-130s r only capable of taking goods from one airfield to another, Chinooks can take things (supply, aid etc) & people one point to another.

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
The PAF likes working with russian and chinese choppers but are not the most familiar with the American helicopters.Currently as we post...26 helicopters of the PAF are lifting their weight up and down, landing in several different areas.

The UH-1H is similar to the Black Hawk, and some idiotic people are stating "Lets go for 20 Black Hawks" as if they are the people flying or buying them. It would be much easier to aquire the UH-1H and on top of that, our pilots are familiar with it.

Chaklala is being loaded with various transport aircraft coming from around the world. So to scatter the goods on them, we need helicopter that can carry them.

Chinooks would be best for this situations.....10-20
IF NOT THEN
UH-1H would be good for this situation.........20-40

These are my sayings!!!What do ya think???:confused:

I think Pakistan now should consider buying 2nd hand Chinooks from U.S. C-130s r only capable of taking goods from one airfield to another, Chinooks can take things (supply, aid etc) & people one point to another.
agreed!!

fieldmarshal

24 more US Chinooks to help quake relief:

Pakistan ISLAMABAD, Oct 11 (AFP)

Source http://dawn.com/2005/10/11/earthquake.htm

Pakistan's military on Tuesday said United States was to send 24 more giant Chinook heavy lift helicopters to help the relief efforts. The US military in Afghanistan had already sent five Chinooks and three Black Hawk choppers on Monday and the new helicopters were expected next week, military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan said. Two German helicopters and four Afghan helicopters were also due to arrive in Pakistan in coming days, Sultan added. Sultan said 34 Pakistani military helicopters were currently involved in the relief effort.(Posted @ 20:02 PST)

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
SABRE said:
No SABRE i think Pakistan must ask US to provide these Chinook helicopters in the weapon package in which Fighter AC will be provided these choppers are also second hand ;)

BilalK

SABRE said:
Some 2nd Chinooks, but a lot of Blackhawks and UH-1Hs, because Chinooks may be somewhat more expensive to maintain. What we need to do in the future is have a disaster force, with a lot of professionally trained rescuers, medical staff, aircraft (which will need pilots and engineers). It'll create a lot of jobs, and the government will be able to start relief operations faster.

Lavi

Are IAF helicopters involved in the rescue effort in Pakistan? I read one source claiming that the Pakistani government had turned down their offer, and instead offered help to the Indians, not in the form of choppers though.

Hussain

Chinooks would be best for this situations.....10-20
IF NOT THEN
UH-1H would be good for this situation.........20-40

These are my sayings!!!What do ya think???:confused:

I agree. In a place like Pakistan the Chinooks would be too expensive and difficult to maintain.

I would go for the UH1's or the Mil Mi17 or Mi8 in large quantities with full supply of spares. I don't think Pakistan has lost any Mil's to date. the good thing about the Mil is that they can be heavily armed . I believe the Mil Mi8 is the most heavily armed helicopter in the world.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Lavi said:
Are IAF helicopters involved in the rescue effort in Pakistan? I read one source claiming that the Pakistani government had turned down their offer, and instead offered help to the Indians, not in the form of choppers though.
No IAF halicopter are involved in the rescue. Indian offer was of halicopters with Indian pilots. Pakistan army wont allow any countries pilots to fly halicopters in their skies, specialy Indians. All Black Hawks & Chinooks are being piloted by Pakistani pilots (but there r co-pilots from U.S.).

Allowing Indians (Indian army) to fly halicopters in Kashmir might give away military possitions to them.

On the other hand Aid is welcomed. But we need more Halicopters.

Elite-Pilot

Banned Member
The C-130 around the world are landing at Chaklala airbase.

Our Helicopters go to Chaklala to pick up the equipment in the C-130's and then drop them at Islamabad...muzzafarabad...Lahore etc. After, they drop off the equipment and food, they pick up the wounded and........dead and put them to a hospital.

Once done, they have to go All the way to Chaklala again and do the same thing again and again.That is why about 35-40 PAF Helicopters are needed! so things could get around quicker!

NOW ISN'T THIS TRUE???