oman to purchase eurofighter typhoons

jaffo4011

LONDON, April 2 (Reuters) - Oman has indicated that it intends to buy an unspecified number of Eurofighter warplanes, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said on Friday.

The possible deal followed three years of talks between Brown and the leaders of Oman, the spokesman said without giving details of the size or timing of any sale.

Media reports in late 2008 said Oman was in talks with BAE Systems (BAES.L) to buy 24 Typhoons worth at least 1.4 billion pounds ($2.13 billion).

more good news for eurofighter.....just the indian order to go now :)

greeners29

LONDON, April 2 (Reuters) - Oman has indicated that it intends to buy an unspecified number of Eurofighter warplanes, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said on Friday.

The possible deal followed three years of talks between Brown and the leaders of Oman, the spokesman said without giving details of the size or timing of any sale.

Media reports in late 2008 said Oman was in talks with BAE Systems (BAES.L) to buy 24 Typhoons worth at least 1.4 billion pounds ($2.13 billion).

more good news for eurofighter.....just the indian order to go now :)
Hi all, first post.

I am not sure it is good news as i bet we have just sold 24 more of our allocation which will bring the RAF numbers down from 232 to 208 (after the Saudi deal) and now down to 184.

If in the future we end up back in a major war situation we will be in trouble as unlike back in the 40's, you cant just build 50 fighter in two months. The political situation can change so fast. After WW1 most people thought another World War could never happen again and one decade later we were all doing it again.

If in the next ten tears the political situation changes again we will not have the capability to do anything

jaffo4011

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going to be tranche 1 apparently, with the RAF still acquiring new build tranche 3's.
do you mean they will be buying 24 ex raf examples (trenche 1) or 24 new build trenche 1's?.....

either way,its money to help fund further raf buys...

Grim901

do you mean they will be buying 24 ex raf examples (trenche 1) or 24 new build trenche 1's?.....

either way,its money to help fund further raf buys...
They wouldn't reopen the tranche 1 line for such a small order. Nice to see us ditching the less capable airframes so we can get newer ones.

Going to be tranche 1 apparently, with the RAF still acquiring new build tranche 3's.
This would be the best solution for the UK wouldn't it? I thought we were going to have a load in storage anyway so selling earlier examples and replacing them with more capable later versions seems sensible enough.
It's not like the UK was ever going to have 150 plus Typhoons in a combat zone anyway unless we were in a world war type of situation.
How many combat aircraft did the UK send for Gulf War 1 or 2?

Grim901

This would be the best solution for the UK wouldn't it? I thought we were going to have a load in storage anyway so selling earlier examples and replacing them with more capable later versions seems sensible enough.
It's not like the UK was ever going to have 150 plus Typhoons in a combat zone anyway unless we were in a world war type of situation.
How many combat aircraft did the UK send for Gulf War 1 or 2?
In the 30's I think.

But keep in mind the rule of 3. Plus other deployments and commitments (QRA, Falklands etc.)

tphuang

Super Moderator
Either way, this is good news for UK. UK can always ditch some of its tranche 1 orders and get more trache 3.