MRH-90 for ADF

Brutus Caesar

Hey guys. I apologise if this has already been posted/discussed elsewhere of if it is old news for all you defence insiders, but I picked this up and thought it might prove somewhat interesting to a few of you.

{A $1.5 billion contract to supply 34 advanced European MRH-90 troop lift helicopters to the ADF is to be awarded to Brisbane based Austraian Aerospace.....

It is understood the federal cabinet's national security committee reached the decision yesterday despite strong Army support for the American Blackhawks built by Sikorsky.
Final details of the deal have to be concluded but the decision follows an initial $700 million acquisition of 12 MRH-90s last year.

It is understood that Cabinet agreed the European helicopters offered superior technology and an opportunity to undertake what many defence observers regarded as a long overdue rationalisation of Defence Force helicopter capability.....

It is understood yesterdays decision was to acquire 28 more MRH-90s to replace the current Blackhawk fleet and six to replace the Seakings.....}

So far a havn't seen a single given as to why the Army would prefer to operate the UM over the MRH, but given they all know far more about the issue than I one would have to assume there are valid reasons out there.

Brutus Caesar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW, I got that info from 'The Fifth Column' which inturn quoted it as being from Geoffrey Barker, Australian Financial Review, 27/4/06

Brutus Caesar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh flurking snert, this has already been posted. Doh! Sorry to waste your time guys, could someone please delete this?

Even when I'm trying to be helpful I manage to screw it up.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Dw

Well I had not seen it so it was news to me, well that should well and truly cement the production line in Aus, plus any new LUH good news all round I'd say
Cheers