Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_M1A1_0419a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1759a.JPG

Nellis_14_2500-1.JPG

Nellis_14_2495-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Movies with good Jet Air Combat?

This is a discussion on Movies with good Jet Air Combat? within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hey im looking for a good movie featuring Jetfighter Air Combat, from the Korean War to fictional although more or ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old August 23rd, 2010   #1
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Movies with good Jet Air Combat?

Hey im looking for a good movie featuring Jetfighter Air Combat, from the Korean War to fictional although more or less realistic conflicts.

Oh and please not Topgun....

To start the list, i got "THE HUNTERS" from 1958, very nice air combat scenes for its time.

Btw.: Sorry if wrong forum, I was looking for an off-topic section but didnt found on.
Jack Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010
Spetsznaz
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: Violation of forum rules: No one-liners
Old August 25th, 2010   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
Hey im looking for a good movie featuring Jetfighter Air Combat, from the Korean War to fictional although more or less realistic conflicts.

Oh and please not Topgun....

To start the list, i got "THE HUNTERS" from 1958, very nice air combat scenes for its time.

Btw.: Sorry if wrong forum, I was looking for an off-topic section but didnt found on.
Not too many I'm afraid.

Matching your era of interest but it's more air-to-mud - no one mentions the classic - The Bridges at Toko-Ri! William Holden, Grace Kelly (oh la la) and where else can you see Mickey Rooney as an SAR pilot? Yes!

Strategic Air Command has some great heavy-iron scenes, but it's a Jimmy Stewart movie. You either love him or hate him.

This is a rarity - but I caught it on late night many moons ago - Jet Pilot starring John Wayne. Real a/c, real maneuvers and a very young Janet Leigh in an eye-popping couple of scenes. Paper-thin plot at times, but you didn't ask for Emmy Award winners.

Other than that - no real good ones. I loved the film version of Flight of the Intruder, but I disagreed with the casting of Willem Dafoe as Tiger Cole. Just didn't seem to click. Excellent Skyraider footage though!

And the few scenes in Air Force One. Yeah - it's either hit or miss. But the ACM talk is okay - and a six-on-six engagement between Eagles and Fulcrums. Cold War dreams baby...

On the subject of ACM slang - catch the few scenes with the Tomcat drivers in Executive Decision.

Edited to add: and last but not least, well, you asked for movies - but this is more of a clip since it's real footage - look for the '89 shootdown of a pair of Mig-23s by VF-32 Tomcats. It's also one of the rare modern footage (post Korea and Vietnam) that's made it into the public domain.

Last edited by Juramentado; August 25th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Juramentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010
xxaa1111
This message has been deleted by gf0012-aust. Reason: spam wanker
Old August 27th, 2010   #3
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juramentado View Post
Not too many I'm afraid.

Matching your era of interest but it's more air-to-mud - no one mentions the classic - The Bridges at Toko-Ri! William Holden, Grace Kelly (oh la la) and where else can you see Mickey Rooney as an SAR pilot? Yes!

Strategic Air Command has some great heavy-iron scenes, but it's a Jimmy Stewart movie. You either love him or hate him.

This is a rarity - but I caught it on late night many moons ago - Jet Pilot starring John Wayne. Real a/c, real maneuvers and a very young Janet Leigh in an eye-popping couple of scenes. Paper-thin plot at times, but you didn't ask for Emmy Award winners.

Other than that - no real good ones. I loved the film version of Flight of the Intruder, but I disagreed with the casting of Willem Dafoe as Tiger Cole. Just didn't seem to click. Excellent Skyraider footage though!

And the few scenes in Air Force One. Yeah - it's either hit or miss. But the ACM talk is okay - and a six-on-six engagement between Eagles and Fulcrums. Cold War dreams baby...

On the subject of ACM slang - catch the few scenes with the Tomcat drivers in Executive Decision.

Edited to add: and last but not least, well, you asked for movies - but this is more of a clip since it's real footage - look for the '89 shootdown of a pair of Mig-23s by VF-32 Tomcats. It's also one of the rare modern footage (post Korea and Vietnam) that's made it into the public domain.
Thank you very much. I got another one, "Stealth" from 2005. Its simple, unrealistic (close range dogfighting between jetfighters...) action, and the american fighters are all sci-fi, but the air combat scenes are unmatched to date. Especially the scene Su-37 versus the Talons.

And while the featured UCAV is completly SciFi, the FA-37 Talon was realistic enough that some military aircraft magazine confused them with new Navy Carrier Fighters while they were on deck... http://www.stiftungleostrauss.com/fa-37_talon1.jpg
Old August 28th, 2010
charles34
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: Violation of forum rules: No one-liners
Old August 28th, 2010   #4
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
ok this one is a cheesie, but anyway it has quite some air to air:

Pearl Harbor with ben afflec.

Any one knows good ww2? I love the planes from that tiem *love*
GermanHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles34 View Post
how about the Iron eagle movies?
I'm going somewhere to hide now...

On a more productive note..."Flyboys" had some remarkably impressive WWI biplane sequences. However, I highly recommend History Channel's "Dogfights." For a neophyte like myself, the show was an excellent introduction into the history of air-to-air combat and the fundamentals used by combat pilots. It's also quite entertaining.
Kilo 2-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010
charles34
Old August 28th, 2010   #6
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Was my suggestion that bad kilo 2-3?
Iron Eagle is legendarily (and hilariously) bad. I'd willingly watch it; but the genre would definitely be "comedy."
Old August 28th, 2010
charles34
Old August 30th, 2010   #7
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo 2-3 View Post
Iron Eagle is legendarily (and hilariously) bad. I'd willingly watch it; but the genre would definitely be "comedy."
I only know the third one; "Aces: Iron Eagle III". With the Messerschmitts against jets, and firing a rocket launcher from an openend cockpit.
Old September 3rd, 2010   #8
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
I only know the third one; "Aces: Iron Eagle III". With the Messerschmitts against jets, and firing a rocket launcher from an openend cockpit.
Omg this sounds like some legendary awsome trash!

So a few more:

Battle of Britain.

...and a real classic : Tora Tora Tora!
GermanHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010
AVBsupersonic
Old September 9th, 2010
alkemita
Old September 11th, 2010   #9
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVBsupersonic View Post
How about "SKY FIGHTERS" French film they used Mirage 2000 Jets
Indeed. Most awesome scenes with planes, even bordering on beating "Stealth", and without any CGI.

BUT: While the Story is cool in theory, the stroyTELLING sucks big time. Dialoge is just plain stupid, actors appear wooden etc.
Old September 17th, 2010   #10
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
The Heinz Knoke videos on Youtube IMO has the best ever WW2 CGI, better even than the History Channel's Dogfights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWPsf9-y3I

Then there's also 'A Dark Blue World' which has excellent dogfight scenes.

Last edited by STURM; September 18th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010
charles34
Old September 21st, 2010
valleyrat
This message has been deleted by WebMaster. Reason: useless one liner (not even one line)!!!
Old September 21st, 2010   #11
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
If you count the fiasco that was the recent Transformers film series, then yes, the F-22 has had some screen time.

Be interesting to see what happens when more and more UCAVs start coming online. It's possible the fighter-jock genre which started with 1920s-1930s with films like "The Dawn Patrol" and more recently with "Top Gun" could die out entirely or end up making film about the good old days when pilots still rode in the pit.

Obviously it will be several more decades before this problem will come up; but I'm curious nonetheless as to how Hollywood will react.
Old September 27th, 2010   #12
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
"The Final Countdown"

A movie made in 1980 about the USS Nimitz traveling back in time to December 6,1941.

Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen starring.

The movie had horrible acting, mainly because I think they used real navy personnel for alot of the scenes and the premises was laughable, but some of the flight scenes of the Tomcats were very nice. Also the scene where two Tomcats shot down two Zeros were fun.
YellowFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011   #13
Private First Class
Threads:
aside from the fictional MIG28 and cheesy characters, TOPGUN actually got the best aerial footage depicting dogfigting /WVR combat and carrier operations.. The cinematograpy is excellent (IMHO).

Iron Eagle is bad (not the story but the aerial shots)..

One of the best movie is Flight of the Intruder , although it is an A6 Intruder on combat in Vietnam (they got a quicky dogfight with a mig17 , well actually running away from a mig). The special effect is not top notch but it is still considered a classic..

Bridge of Toko-Ri also good (for its time) and also classic..
dprijadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011   #14
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
they should make a movie with f-22 pretty soon. maybe get it's popularity up.
It will be a pretty boring movie if the Raptor just keeps popping bandits with BVR missiles.. just like real life exercises with legacy pilots insisting on some WVR action or else they won't come out to play.
wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011   #15
Banned Member
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
^I was thinking the same thing, lol. It would have to be another top gun type movie I guess, with F22's against each other in training with the BVR switched off. Then, they go out and smoke everything BVR (maybe a plane gets engine troubles, and someone dies when they bail out).
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: