MIL MI 24 Hind

carman1877

The Russian attack chopper that serves over 30 different countries.

does anyone have pictures of door gunners?
Pictures of inside/ troop capartmentz?

I was told that it had no NATO counterpart, is this true?

which does it resemble?

overall any interesting facts about the hind, history, arment, or avionics.

winnyfield

Pics: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/ulrich_wrede/mi-24v/ and http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/zbigniew_cheda/mi-24d_walk_1.htm

which does it resemble?
Troop carry + gunship helicopter?

The only one I can recall (apart from Rambo III) is the Blackhawk; the 'battlehawk' variant in use by some SF aviation groups.

Fastest helicopter?

A

Aussie Digger

The Russian attack chopper that serves over 30 different countries.

does anyone have pictures of door gunners?

which does it resemble?

There is no direct equivalent within NATO that I am aware of, but it's irrelevent because NATO in general chose the 2 man tandem seating style helo for it's attack helicopter options (Tiger, Apache, Mangusta, Cobra).

There are armed versions of NATO transport helicopters (The "Battlehawk" version of the Blackhawk being one) but there are others. TOW equipped Lynx helos in the British Army, TOW, rocket, machine gun equipped Gazelle's and plenty others.

kay_man

And to add one more :?2 what is main difference between Mi-24 and Mi-35
Simple and short please :)
Long story short ....mi-35 is a much upgraded version of mi-24
It has better avionics and sensors , and especially it has night fighting capability which the original mi-24 lacs.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Mi-24NP has night fighting capability as far as I know, so it's not something unique to the Mi-35 upgrade. But yes the Mi-35 is a deep upgrade of almost all major components.

SkolZkiy

there is a big difference in the filosophy of helibuilding in Soviet/Rusian army and in NATO
Mi-24 was build as a flying tank to deliver troops just in the heat and cover them there under heavy anti-air fire. It is fully defended against even 12.7 and 14.2 mm anti-aircraft guns.
I cannot say exactly but as for my knowledge most of nato helicopters are not armoured against such weapons and even against 7.62 mm

dcaraz

Seeking technical advice re: Soviet military Mi-24 helio pilot ops

I hope someone in this group might be able to share a few bits of knowledge or experience about the formidable MIL Mi-24 gunship that served during the Soviet Afghanistan War. :confused:

I'm writing a novel that includes a key character who is a Soviet Air Force Captain and Mi-24 pilot. My problem is that while I have tons of info about the helicopter, I am missing some details that are required for a more authentic story.

I see numerous discussions in the forums that touch on the HIND.
Hopefully someone can answer a few questions I have.

Many thanks in advance! :)

-- Dan

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I hope someone in this group might be able to share a few bits of knowledge or experience about the formidable MIL Mi-24 gunship that served during the Soviet Afghanistan War. :confused:

I'm writing a novel that includes a key character who is a Soviet Air Force Captain and Mi-24 pilot. My problem is that while I have tons of info about the helicopter, I am missing some details that are required for a more authentic story.

I see numerous discussions in the forums that touch on the HIND.
Hopefully someone can answer a few questions I have.

Many thanks in advance! :)

-- Dan
well, the best book on Soviet tactics in afghanistan is a reference book in a number of western militaries already.. it covers helicopter tactics and support etc... so if you're after real life discussions then there is already a verified and popular source available.....

dcaraz

Soviet gunship ops

well, the best book on Soviet tactics in afghanistan is a reference book in a number of western militaries already.. it covers helicopter tactics and support etc... so if you're after real life discussions then there is already a verified and popular source available.....
Thanks for your follow up...I followed the link in your response which is for the blog. Not sure what you mean...are you saying you know where I might find this reference book? If so, is it available to private citizens?

Also, when you say "tactics", to be clear, I'm not in need of highly technical military data. I really am seeking knowledgeable answers to a few questions I have re: the Mi-24:
1) can the pilot operate the weaponry and ordinance from their cockpit? Or is all cannon, machine gun & rockets fired only by the gunner in the forward cockpit?
2) can the pilot takeoff without any gunner at all?
3) can the pilot cut off communications with air control while maintaining headset comms with other crew?

I'd love to connect with a pilot who has flown the beast. Thoughts?

STURM

dcaraz,

It's not about operations in Afghanistan but a very interesting read about someone who flew a Hind in combat is ''Gunship Ace: The Wars of Neall Ellis, Helicopter Pilot and Mercenary''
[Al J. Venter]. Ellis flew a Hind for Executive Outcomes in Sierra Leone.

dcaraz

dcaraz,

It's not about operations in Afghanistan but a very interesting read about someone who flew a Hind in combat is ''Gunship Ace: The Wars of Neall Ellis, Helicopter Pilot and Mercenary''
[Al J. Venter]. Ellis flew a Hind for Executive Outcomes in Sierra Leone.
Sturm, great you mention this book. I just came across a video of Ellis on YouTube and I plan to track down his book to read it. A couple HIND videos were especially helpful; one in particular offered soundtrack which gave me some of the operational lingo (in English, I'm limited to a single language). Thanks for your help!

dcaraz

Thank you for your generous offer!

Tsavo Lion, I greatly appreciate your offer to assist with any Russian-to-English translations. While I've read lots of data and reports regarding Soviet Afghan conflict, my discussions with a former Soviet Army officer who served in Kabul in the mid-1980s has been vital in helping me add authenticity to the military character in my story. I'll keep all the HINDS fans in this thread updated on my progress.

Haavarla

I had the pleasure of eyeballing a Hind-24(35) at MAKS 2011.
One thing that came to mind was the size of the personel compartment. For the sheer size of this thing, the space was quite cramed, especially the hight inside. The cabin doors was also quite small, which would make it problematic to place any side gunner there.
He would practical be in the way of personel getting on and off that thing.

Edit
Latest Mil-35 delivered to Kazakhstan AF:

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
dcaraz, seek out references to the Mil 24's used by the US Army for red force training at Pope Field

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Tsavo Lion, I greatly appreciate your offer to assist with any Russian-to-English translations. While I've read lots of data and reports regarding Soviet Afghan conflict, my discussions with a former Soviet Army officer who served in Kabul in the mid-1980s has been vital in helping me add authenticity to the military character in my story. I'll keep all the HINDS fans in this thread updated on my progress.
In a prev life my job was interviewing russians and ex warpac individuals who wanted to emigrate - and often they were provided jobs with large western defence companies

quite a few I interviewed were maintainers who ended up in the US providing expertise into maintaining the mini russian airforce maintained for training and eval

they were really interesting people, but they were paid a pittance. they couldn't believe their luck going from jobs where their prev annual salary was now a weekly salary

funnily enough the other day there was this massive booming and cavitation over the house the other day, I rushed out because it sounded similar to a Hind 24 I'd heard when overseas - turned out to be a Boeing Sky Crane, but for a brief moment I thought that the one Mil 24 that the Aust Govt had in its possession had been resurrected and was doing a flypast.