Marconi S-600 radar

STURM

Does anyone know if the Marconi S-600 radar was an air traffic or a surveillance radar? There are not many online references on the S-600 and some list the S-600 as an ATC radar and some as a surveillance radar.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Does anyone know if the Marconi S-600 radar was an air traffic or a surveillance radar? There are not many online references on the S-600 and some list the S-600 as an ATC radar and some as a surveillance radar.
Not exactly sure, as it appears to have several different potential configurations.

There does appear to be a mobile military system which consists of four separate transceivers and two aerials. This S600 system appears able to provide 3D data, and operates in the 3 GHz/C-band at 1 MW.

I will see what more I can dig up. So far though, is does not appear that the primary usage would be for ATC apart from perhaps on a battlefield.

-Cheers

STURM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I know of at least one user who used its S-600s for GCI and even mounted one of the radars on a 30 foot structure.

trenybach

S 600 Radar

The S600 radar was a transportable military long range L Band system with a separate C Band height finding aerial.
It was designed to be transported in a C130, although you would need a lot of aircraft to transport the full system.
It was sold widely around the world including but not limited to the following countries.
Yugoslavia, Malaysia, Kenya, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Jordan, Saudi Arabia,
It was reported that some of the units sold to Yugoslavia were sold on to other counties in Africa.
One system was used by the Uk in the Falklands immediately after the conflict ended.

CTL

Aerials for Marconi S600

The S600 radar was a transportable military long range L Band system with a separate C Band height finding aerial.
It was designed to be transported in a C130, although you would need a lot of aircraft to transport the full system.
It was sold widely around the world including but not limited to the following countries.
Yugoslavia, Malaysia, Kenya, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Jordan, Saudi Arabia,
It was reported that some of the units sold to Yugoslavia were sold on to other counties in Africa.
One system was used by the Uk in the Falklands immediately after the conflict ended.
I have an enquiry for replacement aerials (new or second-hand) for Marconi S600 radar. Aerial models are S-1016 and S-1017. Where can I get them?