Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Marconi S-600 radar

This is a discussion on Marconi S-600 radar within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Does anyone know if the Marconi S-600 radar was an air traffic or a surveillance radar? There are not many ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old February 25th, 2013   #1
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Marconi S-600 radar

Does anyone know if the Marconi S-600 radar was an air traffic or a surveillance radar? There are not many online references on the S-600 and some list the S-600 as an ATC radar and some as a surveillance radar.
STURM is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indonesian Aero News Ananda Air Force & Aviation 688 15 Hours Ago 08:19 AM
J.O.R.N (Jindalee Operational Radar Network) of Australia Soldier Space & Defense Technology 78 2 Weeks Ago 08:28 AM
Us Threatens To Block Israeli Aid If Phalcon Sale, to india proceeds. Psychosaint Air Force & Aviation 21 May 25th, 2011 03:15 AM
Compare capabilities and data - LCA & JF-17 jatt2ooo Air Force & Aviation 188 October 5th, 2009 10:16 AM
Comparing anti-missile systems in the world Viktor Missiles & WMDs 126 April 9th, 2009 03:22 AM

Old February 25th, 2013   #2
Deaf talker?
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
Does anyone know if the Marconi S-600 radar was an air traffic or a surveillance radar? There are not many online references on the S-600 and some list the S-600 as an ATC radar and some as a surveillance radar.
Not exactly sure, as it appears to have several different potential configurations.

There does appear to be a mobile military system which consists of four separate transceivers and two aerials. This S600 system appears able to provide 3D data, and operates in the 3 GHz/C-band at 1 MW.

I will see what more I can dig up. So far though, is does not appear that the primary usage would be for ATC apart from perhaps on a battlefield.

-Cheers
Old February 26th, 2013   #3
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Thanks. I know of at least one user who used its S-600s for GCI and even mounted one of the radars on a 30 foot structure.
STURM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013   #4
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
S 600 Radar

The S600 radar was a transportable military long range L Band system with a separate C Band height finding aerial.
It was designed to be transported in a C130, although you would need a lot of aircraft to transport the full system.
It was sold widely around the world including but not limited to the following countries.
Yugoslavia, Malaysia, Kenya, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Jordan, Saudi Arabia,
It was reported that some of the units sold to Yugoslavia were sold on to other counties in Africa.
One system was used by the Uk in the Falklands immediately after the conflict ended.
trenybach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: