Which M-MRCA IAF SHOULD GO WITH

• Total voters

d_berwal

Banned Member
Asian Aerospace 2006
FORCE

Aircraft giants fight over a piece of the Indian pie
By Prasun K. Sengupta

From an Indian standpoint, the 13th edition of the Asian Aerospace (AA-2006) exhibition, held in Singapore between February 21 and 26 this year, provided some critical insights into the fierce on-going competition between Boeing, Dassault Aviation, BAE Systems and RAC-MiG to supply close to 200 medium multi-role combat aircraft (M-MRCA) to the Indian Air Force (IAF). The exhibition also provided a rare glimpse into the various guided-missile R&D joint ventures that were recently launched between India and Israel.

With Dassault Aviation’s Rafale Mk1 and BAE Systems’ Eurofighter Typhoon now entering the fray along with the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and Saab’s JAS-39C Gripen for the IAF’s M-MRCA competition (FORCE February 2006, pages 52-53), Russia’s RAC-MiG has quietly dropped its offer of the so-called MiG-35 derivative of the MiG-29M. Instead, the company is now offering its I-2000 fifth-generation M-MRCA, for which RAC-MiG did significant R & D work throughout the 1990s under its privately-funded Logkiy Frontovi Istrebilte project. In fact, a highly classified briefing on two distinct variants of the I-2000 was given to defence minister Pranab Mukherjee in Moscow last November (FORCE November 2005, pages 8-9) following which he reportedly told Russian officials rather bluntly that the ministry of defence (MoD) would be more inclined towards co-developing the I-2000 with Russia rather than go for the MiG-35. The I-2000 will have a blended fuselage and thick wing centre-section. To be equipped with fly-by-light flight control systems, an all-digital nav-attack system containing French, Indian and Israeli avionics, and powered by NPO Saturn’s twin AL-41FP turbofans with thrust vectoring exhaust nozzles, the tandem-seat I-2000 will be capable of supercruise (sustaining supersonic speeds without engaging the engine’s afterburners) as well as super-manoeuvrability. More than 50 per cent of the I-2000’s airframe will be built with composite materials, and the aircraft will have a gross take-off weight of 15 tonnes, and a weapons payload of five tonnes. Both Rosoboronexport State Corp and RAC-MiG have assured the MoD that first deliveries of the I-2000 would begin within 48 months of contract signature. RAC-MiG and India’s state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) would jointly build up to four flying prototypes and two pre-production flight-worthy variants for the I-2000’s accelerated flight-test-cum-airworthiness certification schedule, which will be completed by 2010.

Substantial work was done during the '90s with this beast....
http://www.sirviper.com/index.php?page=div/Mig_i-2000

HOW THE OFFERINGS STAND NOW

US enters the race with F/A-18 & F- 16
Dassault Aviation’s pulls out Mirage 2000-5 & offers Rafale Mk1
RAC-Mig pulls out Mig-29OVT/ mig-35 & offers I-2000
BAE Systems Eurofighter Typhoon enters race

Last edited:

suryaaa

d berwel is this ac of russia suposed to be a part of pak-fa a joint venture b/w ind -russia.if not is there any chance that ind will go for it ,i dont think so because hjt selection itself is an example. if i am the selecetor i will go for this new one . and one more thing will there be tot.

d_berwal

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
suryaaa said:
d berwel is this ac of russia suposed to be a part of pak-fa a joint venture b/w ind -russia.if not is there any chance that ind will go for it ,i dont think so because hjt selection itself is an example. if i am the selecetor i will go for this new one . and one more thing will there be tot.

Mikoyan I-2000

The new Russian fighter MiG-I-2000 Development of Russia's LFI (logkiy frontovoi istrebitel) lightweight tactical fighter has been dramatically accelerated after the Russian Air Force decided it's priorities for the next 10 years.

The I-2000 (Istrebitel [fighter] 2000), is due to become operational in 2005 as Russia's basic front-line fighter. It is also likely to become the leading export product of the Russian aircraft industry. Available information on the I-2000 indicates that it will be closely comparable to the US Joint Strike Fighter,operating in both air-to-air and air-to-surface roles.

The aircraft comes from a long line of Mikoyan lightweight fighters, such as the MiG-15 and MiG-21. It is about the same size as the MiG-21 (shorter by 1.3m but wider by 4.5m), but noticeable smaller than its immediate predecessor, the MiG-29. Take-off weight is estimated at around 12 tonnes; maximum take-off weight at about 16 tonnes.

The design requirements for I-2000 call for reduced radar and infrared visibility and very high manoeuvrability, as well as short take-off and landing. The aircraft will have a blended fuselage/centre wing and a thick wing centre-section, with curved leading and trailing edges. The unusual aerodynamic configuration and powerful thrust-vectoring engines should provide excellent agility. Take-off and landing runs are short thanks to a specially designed landing gear that permits approaches at high angles of attack.

According to official sources, single and twin-engined variants of the LFI are under consideration. The graphics show a twin- engined variant with an all-new power plant. No engines of the required thrust currently exist in Russia.

The first design of a very light new-generation fighter was prepared by Mikoyan in the early 1980s, when design work also began on the heavy fighter, the MFI (sometimes known as the 1-42). The result was 'Product 33' powered by a single RD-33 engine from the MiG-29. It was of conventional design, appearing similar to the US Lockheed Martin F-16.

Although work on Product 33 became well advanced, it was not ordered due to the air force's reorientation towards multi-role aircraft - the lightweight Product 33 could be used for close air combat only. The basic Product 33 design is being offered by Mikoyan to China as the FC-1 fighter.

The only competition within Russia for the I-2000 is the S-54, developed by Sukhoi from an advanced trainer design of the early 1990s.

The S-54 is essentially a smaller, single-engined Su-35, with a more conventional layout than the I-2000. The status of the S-54 is unknown, but is thought to be in the initial stages of development. Having no real Russian Air Force support, the S-54 is intended for export as a complement to the heavy Su-27 and Su-30 aircraft sold to China and India.

It has been decided that the heavy fifth-generation MFI will not enter serial production. It will, however, begin flight tests this August as a technology demonstrator. Mikhail Korzhuyev, recently appointed Mikoyan's general director, said that flights of the MFI are now a matter of honour for the company.

The aircraft has been ready for flight tests for about five years, but grounded for lack of cash. An extensive upgrade programme for the MiG-29 is to continue in parallel with development work on the I-2000."

Source: Jane's Defence Weekly, vol.29

LFI

The design features are still unclear as the assembly of the prototype has not commenced yet. The code name of the latest Mikhoyan Gurevich fighter is LFI. The aim of this project is to make a lightweight multi role stealth fighter. This information comes with the official announcement of the Russian Airforce of its priority to build a lightweight multi-role fighter. This is being done to oppose the heavy weight fighters like the MiG-MFI and the S-37. The possible competitor of the MiG-LFI project of the S-54 which is being developed by the Sukhoi OKB.

Overview of the MiG-LFI Project

According to the Jane's defense weekly. The development of the Logkiy Frontovi Istrebilte project was aimed at producing a fighter which is capable of satisfying the requirements of the Russian Airforce for the next 10-15 years. The project is revealed to the Jane's defense weekly as I-2000 which means Istrebitel 2000 (fighter 2000). The project is believed to enter service by 2005 as the frontline strike fighter for the soviet air force. This project is also likely to be a major component of Russia's arms export. The revealed information about the I-2000 suggests that it is likely to be an archrival of the JSF of the US. The I-2000 is also revealed to be capable of both air-to-air as well as air-to-surface operations.

This project is a part of a long line of lightweight fighter projects by the MiG aircraft industry. The other lightweight projects include the MiG-21 and the MiG-15. The I-2000 is believed to be shorter than the MiG-21 by up to 1.3 m but is broader than it by about 4.5 m. the I-2000 is considerably smaller than its predecessor the MiG-29.

Design

The I-2000 is designed to have a reduced IR and Radar signature. This gives the aircraft the stealth capabilities. The I-2000 is also believed to be very light ,manoeuverable and with short take off and landing capabilities. The I-2000 has a blended fuselage and a thick wing center-section. The aerodynamic configuration of the I-2000 is considered to be very unusual and is equipped with powerful thrust vectoring system thus providing the aircraft with unimaginable agility. The landing gear of the I-2000 is specially designed so as to allow landing approaches at high angle of attacks.

The pilot and the and the WSO (Weapon Systems Operator) share the cockpit in tandem. The presence of a WSO improves the effectivity of the MiG-31 as the WSO is entirely dedicated to radar operations and weapons deployment. This decreases the workload of the pilot and increases efficiency.

Engine

The engine required for the I-2000 are currently not available in Russia. This means that the Russian scientists are working on a revolutionary new engine, which can be compared to that of the one used in the F-22 or the JSF. There are reports from official sources that the LFI project includes a single and a twin engine version.

The LFI is expected to be sold to countries which are heavily dependant on Russia for arms. This include India and China. India had recently bought a version of the Su-30 which is known as the Su-30MKI which was developed specifically for the requirements of the Indian Air Force(IAF). This plane is compared to the Su-37 is many respects and is better than the other versions of the Su-30. The Indian has signed a deal with the Russians to help them in the complete development of the S-37 which also means that the MiG-LFI projects will also be entertained.

MIG LFI Vs SUKOI MFI

As per my research i believe Mig & Sukoi both have shown there LFI & MFI concepts for Indias 5th Gen Fighter Requirement.

LIF also meets the M-MRCA specifications

The LFI version offered to INDIA is VITYAZ-2000 (futher development to basic LFI design)

Vityaz 2000 - Russian JSF?

By Andrei Yurgenson [27 May 2001] "A new generation of aircraft in any country has always meant money, big money. The increased cost for air vehicles development and production made it the deciding factor. Both the client and contractor have now not only to solve technical problems but also to find new ways to organize and finance development, production, procurement and operation of new aerial vehicles. The USA, one of the wealthiest nations, is not an exception, with the JSF program featuring fund raising problems. The clients and developing companies in the aviation powers had tried to meet requirements of their Air Forces. The aircraft manufacturers had not seen any difference between needs of domestic and foreign customers and the same high performance of the products had been provided for the both markets. The aviation market huge, the prices low, such an importing policy had been seen as a right thing. Now the things have changed: the international aviation market has narrowed in the recent decade and it will keep on going this way next 10-15 years. Thus, a tactical aviation combat aircraft has primarily to be a product meeting needs and financial capabilities of various countries, a foreign-markets-oriented product. On the other hand, potential customers are interested in a multipurpose combat aircraft, the reasons being the same. The analysis of the tactical aviation aircraft shows that about 20 thousand of them have take-off weights between 10 and 20 tons, mass-produced being the MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, A-4, F-16, Mirage III, Mirage F.1, Mirage 2000, J35 Draken, J37 Viggen, J39 Gripen, J-6, J-7. According to the life time and actual time in service, approximately 7,400 vehicles of the type are estimated to be replaced by 2005, about 35% of the fleet in operation. In economics terms, that means that aircraft of this take-off weight may be of great demand in the very near future. So, the new tactical combat aircraft will be of greater flight performance then the 4th generation fighters. It is going to have a multifunction radar with the multichannel tracking and engagement options for air and ground targets as well as to use high-precision weapons killing surface targets. The new system has to be simple in operation, easily put into mass production and easy for personnel training. To be successfully promoted, the new aircraft has to be able to meet the 'efficiency-cost' competition from the existing F-16, Rafale, Mirage-2000, EF2000 and developing JSF. The development of new Russian combat aircraft has always been associated not only with the Air Force demands but also with scientific and technical resources needed to make a more sophisticated aerial vehicle. "The 5th-generation fighter, including all necessary materials, technologies, avionics and armament systems can be developed and produced now only in Russia and the USA", the leading Russian experts say. The United States proved it by the F-22 project, while Russia has already fulfilled a number of programs that can form a science and technical basis for a 5th-generation combat aircraft. The aviation industry has been carrying out researches to assimilate new for Russia aerodynamic configurations as in the 'canard' MiG 1.44 project and Sukhoi Su-47 (S-37) "Berkut" (the Russian for 'golden eagle ') of the triplane forward-swept configuration, unusual even for international practice. The two aircraft are considered as the next-generation technology demonstrators. The designers tried to provide the systems with such 5th-generation characteristics as a decreased radar signature, supersonic cruise flight in the no-afterburner mode, high maneuverability within a wide speed range. In 1994-2000 the OKB 'Mukhamedov' design bureau carried out a separate research to find out what a 5th-generation combat aircraft should look like and what basic properties such an aircraft is going to have. The project has lead to the "Vityaz-2000"? multifunction combat system. The aircraft can be of interest for domestic, CIS and foreign markets, provided the international partnership and investment. Unlike the US JSF, Vityaz is aimed at markets in the CIS, Central Asia, Far East and Asia-Pacific region. Vityaz-2000 features a fundamentally new aerodynamic configuration, dubbed "integral", and allowing stable and controlled flights at extremely big angles of attack. Bureau President Fatidin Mukhamedov, D.Sc., said the company had been developing the "integral" configuration since 1985. Multiple aerodynamic tests of various versions testify to the fact that the configuration can be used for aircraft of various types. The company's first project was the "Evrasia-700" super capacity aircraft, unveiled in Le Bourget in 1993. In 1994, the "integral" configuration was granted the first patent. A year later, in Dubai, the TOO 'Evrasia' company (now OKB 'Mukhamedov') introduced a long-term "integral" configuration combat aircraft project. The most important thing about the aircraft is that the 'integral' configuration provides high aerodynamic performance at low as well as high angles of attack due to the aircraft optimal planform, and specially developed flight structure with reciprocal-type components: wing panels, 'disk' centerwing section, wing extensions and their fuselage parts. The wing extensions and disk turbulent flow systems provide smooth, without rapid changes, association of the lift and longitudinal coefficients according to the angle of attack to compensate for wing panel stalling. The more the angle of attack, the more the center-wing section works, which, supported by swivel leading edge flaps, increases the angle of attack and smoothes the decreasing of the lift coefficient up to 50-60 degrees. The Vityaz aerodynamic configuration differs from the above ones by powerful lift force direct control elements - swivel wing panels, allowing separation of the trajectory and angular aircraft movements, that is to perform a pitching turn with no change of the lift force, improving the aircraft performance in combat. US developing teams tried to translate the idea into reality in the mid-70s in the AFTI project. The president of OKB "Mukhamedov" believes that 'from the a variety of aircraft characteristics, a developer first of all has to pick out critical ones, what actually an aircraft is made for, then necessary characteristics not interfering with the "critical" section, and auxiliary characteristics aimed only at improving the critical ones'. The critical characteristics of the Vityaz project are high maneuverability at supersonic speeds with the energy level maintained stable, high maneuverability at speeds characteristic of a short-time close combat, supermaneuverability including a controlled flight at a 60њ angle of attack and maneuvers at a more than 90њ angle of attack, take-off and landing characteristics enabling the aircraft to be based near the combat zone. The 'necessary characteristics' section incorporates decreased aircraft radar signature in the thermal and radar ranges, high combat and aircraft survivability. Vityaz auxiliary property is the lift force direct control system allowing engagement of ground targets at low altitudes and high speeds, as well as increasing the aircraft supermaneuverability and improving the takeoff-landing performance. The swivel wing panels with leading-edge flaps allows operation in the normal flow mode within the required fuselage orientation range. This provides a higher level of controllability in the supermaneuverability modes, elimination of an involuntary spin and entering the supermaneuverability mode at higher speeds. The wing panels at negative local angles temporally reduce the maximum wing load capacity and existing loads almost two-fold. Combined with an increased controllability, this gives the aircraft a possibility to maneuver not exceeding the permissible loads. The aircraft has a full-authority digital automatic control system with a thrust controlled engine nozzle included in the longitudinal and flight control systems. The above aerodynamic characteristics will ensure the aircraft's superiority in a short-time close combat, other things being equal. When backing up ground forces, the aircraft survivability is ensured by armour protection of the critical aircraft units (which is quite a problem for the aircraft type in question) as well as by the fact, that, provided low altitudes (less then 300m) and high speeds (more then 850 km/h), such an air target is rather hard to be engaged by enemy's ground AD forces. On the other hand, in such a flight mode the aircraft cannot effectively engage ground targets without special techniques and technologies. In the Vityaz-2000 project, the problem is solved though separation of the trajectory and angular aircraft directions by the means of the swivel wing panels. It enables Vityaz to kill surface targets in the low-altitude and low-speed mode. At an altitude of 300 m (the attack altitude is usually not less then 100m) and speed of 850 km/h, provided the detection range is 3 km, a conventional versions have no chance of effectively engaging ground targets. In that case, the engage time is less then one second with the minimum range of 1.5 km, while Vityaz-2000 parameters are 5 seconds and 600 m with the aircraft attacking from a more convenient angle. The effective use an aircraft is very much subject to the takeoff and landing performance. The Vityaz-2000 project incorporates a number of technologies to reduce the landing distance and improve the takeoff performance. Compared with the drag parachute technology, which requires all in all two seconds for the parachute to deploy and billow, the Vityaz breaking system is faster, reaching the level of the takeoff run load factor. Mutually enhancing each other, they make the landing distance equal to that of the take-off, reducing the rollout to the minimum. OKB Mukhamedov has patented a number of Vityaz-2000 takeoff and landing technologies. Another important feature of the 5th generation combat aircraft is the considerably reduced radar and infrared signature. The characteristic is vital for the aircraft combat effectiveness in a long-distance combat, undercover missions and engagement of ground targets, especially while neutralizing enemy radars. However, the OKB Mukhamedov experts are convinced the desire to by all means reduce the scattering cross-section will lead to a F-117-like aircraft, when it cannot be detected by an individual SHF radar, but on the other hand not able to accomplish combat tasks due to the aerodynamics, disfigured by stealth demands. That is why the Vityaz project has all reduced scattering cross-section technologies, including weapons systems located in the inner fuselage sections, except for technologies degrading the aerodynamic and flight characteristics. So, predictably the technologies of the Vityaz-2000 project can lead to a new-generation combat aircraft. OKB President Fatidin Mukhamedov emphasized, that "all nations across the world had been focused on the quality, not the quantity in upgrading the armed forces. Vityaz-2000 is sure far ahead of the competition according to the combat effectiveness parameters due to its aerodynamics, other things being equal."

/Source: translated by Roy Cochrun, Air Fleet magazine, by Andrei Yurgenson, posted on rec.aviation.military by 'Ivan the Bear' on 5-27-01/

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
d_berwal said:
Mikoyan I-2000

Source: Jane's Defence Weekly, vol.29
what date is this volume?

I have Janes All the Worlds Aircraft for 2004 on my desk and it stipulates that the dates are blown out and unlikely to see a test platform until 2010-2012.

There is a funding issue as well which could extend that date even further

d_berwal

Banned Member
Russia's Fighter 2000 chases its JSF rival

"Development of Russia's LFI (logkiy frontovoi istrebitel) lightweight tactical fighter has been dramatically accelerated after the Russian Air Force decided its priorities for the next 10 years. Revealed here exclusively as the I-2000 (Istrebitel {fighter} 2000) project, the aircraft is due to become operational in 2005 as Russia's basic front-line fighter. It is also likely to become the leading export product of the Russian aircraft industry. Available information on the I-2000 indicates that it will be closely comparable to the US Joint Strike Fighter, operating in both the air-to-air and air-to-surface roles.

The aircraft comes from a long line of Mikoyan lightweight fighters, such as the MiG-15 and MiG-21. It is about the same size as the MiG-21 (shorter by 1.3m but wider by 4.5m), but noticeably smaller than its immediate predecessor, the MiG-29. Take-off weight is estimated at around 12 tonnes; maximum take-off weight at about 16 tonnes.

The design requirements for I-2000 call for reduced radar and infrared visibility and very high manoeuvrability, as well as short take-off and landing. The aircraft will have a blended fuselage/centre wing and a thick wing centre-section, with curved leading and trailing edges. The unusual aerodynamic configuration and powerful thrust-vectoring engines should provide excellent agility. Take-off and landing runs are short thanks to a specially designed landing gear that permits approaches at high angles of attack.

According to official sources, single and twin-engined variants of the LFI are under consideration. The graphics show a twin-engined variant with an all-new power plant. No engines of the required thrust currently exist in Russia.

The first design of a very light new-generation fighter was prepared by Mikoyan in the early 1980s, when design work also began on the heavy fighter, the MFI (sometimes known as the 1-42). The result was 'Product 33' powered by a single RD-33 engine from the MiG-29. It was of conventional design, appearing similar to the US Lockheed Martin F-16.

Although work on Product 33 became well advanced, it was not ordered due to the air force's reorientation towards multi-role aircraft - the lightweight Product 33 could be used for close air combat only. The basic Product 33 design is being offered by Mikoyan to China as the FC-1 fighter.

The only competition within Russia for the I-2000 is the S-54, developed by Sukhoi from an advanced trainer design of the early 1990s.

The S-54 is essentially a smaller, single-engined Su-35, with a more conventional layout than the I-2000. The status of the S-54 is unknown, but is thought to be in the initial stages of development. Having no real Russian Air Force support, the S-54 is intended for export as a complement to the heavy Su-27 and Su-30 aircraft sold to China and India.

It has been decided that the heavy fifth-generation MFI will not enter serial production. It will, however, begin flight tests this August as a technology demonstrator. Mikhail Korzhuyev, recently appointed Mikoyan's general director, said that flights of the MFI are now a matter of honour for the company.

The aircraft has been ready for flight tests for about five years, but grounded for lack of cash. An extensive upgrade programme for the MiG-29 is to continue in parallel with development work on the I-2000."

(source: Jane's Defense Weekly, 04-15-98, 1998; Issue: PSA-2075; HEADLINES Section)

Co-operation the key for Russia's JSF equivalent

"Moscow has initiated its long-awaited programme to develop a rival to the USA's Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), with preliminary submissions from three design bureaux due for delivery to the Russian Air Force during September or October. The service's 30th Scientific-Research Institute late last year finalised technical requirements for the new-generation LFS lightweight fighter. These are reported to include: the ability to sustain supersonic cruise; the internal carriage of basic weapons; and the provision of a short take-off and (potentially vertical) landing capability.

In a departure from previous Russian programmes, the three competing design teams - Mikoyan, Sukhoi and Yakovlev - will develop the LFS as a joint project.

The two unsuccessful bureaux will act as subcontractors in charge of individual components of the project following the air force's platform selection. Yakovlev is, for example, expected to manage any vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aspect of the programme, as the sole designer of Russian VTOL aircraft, such as the Yak-38 (NATO codename: 'Forger') and Yak-141 ('Freestyle'). For the first time, the emphasis is expected to focus on reducing platform and operating costs, and on promoting systems commonality with the MFI.

Work on the earlier air-to-air combat LFI took place from the mid-1980s until 1988, when the Mikoyan and Sukhoi bureaus shifted attention towards developing their Project 1-42 (MFI) and S-32 heavy fighters, designed to match the USA's F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter. However, conceptual work on the air-to-air and air-to-surface-capable LFS resumed in about 1994, with the MFI now not expected to enter service until beyond 2010.

Mikoyan has analysed both single- and twin-engined variants of the LFS and recently accepted a design powered by two 80-kN engines, with Russian RD-33/RD-133s and alternative foreign engines also considered for export. This will now be revised since the air force competition stipulates a single-engined platform configured with the Lyulka-Saturn AL-41F turbofan, in common with the MFI and the Sukhoi Su-27IB strike aircraft. The bureau's MiG-35 (MiG-29M) design now appears less likely to be developed, as the air force seemingly moves away from selecting a single fighter-type in between the LFS and MFI.

Among the LFS variants developed by Sukhoi is the S-54, displayed most recently with a 'tandem tri-plane' configuration (featuring canard, wing and tail-plane control surfaces) and one AL-41F engine with a 3-D thrust-vectoring nozzle."

(source: Jane's Defense Weekly, 04-28-99, Vol. 031, Issue: 017; EUROPE Section)

Clearing skies

"After several years of disruption, the Mikoyan design bureau, officially known as ANPK (Aviatsionnyi Nauchno-Promyshlennyi Komplex) MiG, is heading for clearer skies. The company structure is gradually being reorganised and work on several new programmes is under way, despite the severe financial troubles of the MAPO production plant, where a group of employees has been on compulsory leave since 1 April.

The past decade has seen many organisational and personnel changes. In the early 1990s, the financial situation at ANPK MiG was so bad that, in May 1995, it had to merge with the MAPO production plant, the traditional manufacturer of MiG aircraft such as the MiG-29 from 1982 onwards. At the time, MAPO had substantial resources. This alliance, which restricted ANPKMiG's independence, was seen as the only way to maintain employment levels at the design bureau and safeguard the company's future. Even so, many employees left the company and in the middle of last year, ANPKMiG shifted to a three-day working week.

The management of the merged company, called MAPO MiG, decided to bring in other production plants to focus financial and technological resources for the joint production and sale of a number of different Russian aircraft. This led to the creation of the Military Industrial Group MAPO (MIG MAPO) in the first half of 1996.

MIG MAPO is a state-owned enterprise that, besides MAPO MiG, comprises 11 other companies, including the Kamov helicopter design bureau, the Klimov engine design bureau, the Chernyshev engine production factory, a radar production factory in Ryazan and others.

MAPO MiG, however, opposed the rationalisation. Vladimir Kuzmin, the general manager of MAPO MiG, appealed to the Russian courts against the presidential decree which established MIG MAPO. The point at issue was the company's loss of legal identity following its subordination to MIG MAPO, resulting in MAPO MiG not being allowed to sell its own MiG-29 aircraft independently. The courts endorsed the legality of MIG MAPO's formation.

Then money stopped channelling down to MAPO MiG because, as MAPO MiG employees saw it, it was caught in the net somewhere in the complex MIG MAPO administration. MIG MAPO told MAPO MiG's suppliers that all future business should be conducted via MIG and warned them against any direct contact with MAPO MiG.

Consequently, groups polarised around MIG MAPO president Alexander Bezrukov and MAPO MiG general manager Vladimir Kuzmin. The latter was also the MIG MAPO managers' council president. When the men clashed openly, the parties sought the support of the presidential office and of government.

On 9 June last year, Russian President Boris Yeltsin elected to solve the problem within the MIG MAPO management by dismissing both managers and appointing a new head. At the same time, on 4 July, the legal character of MAPO MiG was restored in line with Kuzmin's original demands. Now, Kuzmin has been restored as first chairman of MIG MAPO and director general of MAPO MiG.

Further organisational changes inside MIG MAPO are being considered. Last June, a decision was taken to merge with the Myasishchev design bureau, a move that will probably result in MIG MAPO eventually becoming MIG MAPO-M (there is no formal approval of this structure yet). The next logical move, according to analysts, would be to join with the Sokol factory at Nizhnyi Novgorod, which builds the MiG-29UB, the MiG-31 and civil Myasishchev M-101T.

The situation at the Kamov helicopter design bureau is not much clearer. It has been wanting to quit the MIG MAPO corporation for some time, but another course of action is more probable: Kamov will stay within MIG MAPO, but join with the Progress factory at Arsenyev, manufacturer of the Ka-50 attack helicopter. Kamov's departure from MIG MAPO would raise the prospect of a worse fate - a compulsory fusion with the Mil helicopter company, its closest rival. In reality, this would mean the absorption of Kamov by Mil.

The probable outcome of all the changes still to take place is the exclusion from the combine of engines and avionics manufacturers, leaving only the aircraft design bureaus and aircraft production plants. A consequence of this is that the design bureaus under MIG MAPO-M, including ANPK MiG, will gain more independence and access to further financial resources.

Personnel changes are taking place not only at the level of MIG MAPO but also within ANPK MiG. ANPKMiG's general designer, Rostislav Apollosovich Belyakov, 79, who has wielded enormous influence over the Russian aircraft industry for decades, has been pensioned off with the title of advisor to the general director.

Belyakov has proven a hard act to follow. There is no general designer in ANPKMiG's new organisational structure. Since September, the design bureau has been led by general director Mikhail Korzhuyev, previously ANPKMiG's deputy general director and head of the independent Russian Avionics design bureau. This bureau designed, among other things, the new cockpit for the MiG-29 and the equipment of the Russian version of the MiG-AT. It also adapted the An-30 photographic verification aircraft to the Open Skies configuration.

Korzhuyev presides over five chief designers who co-ordinate the work of the various aircraft and helicopter branches. As well as these branches, there is an experimental design office, an experimental production facility and a flight-test facility.

The pride of ANPKMiG's current programmes is the MFI (mnogofunktsionalnyi istrebitel, or Multi-role Fighter Interceptor). The MFI has been in development since the late 1980s as Russia's answer to the US Air Force's F-22."To fly MFI is a point of honour for the company", Korzhuyev said recently, even though there is no funding from the Russian Air Force.

Since an aircraft of this class has little prospect of being exported without a domestic order, ANPKMiG decided not to invest its own money in the programme. Although the aircraft has been ready for flight trials since 1994, for the same reason it has not been in a rush to test-fly the aircraft. Circumstances changed, however, after the first flight last September of its Sukhoi competitor, the S-37. Although the experimental S-37 is not a true counterpart to the MFI, Sukhoi stole a march in the continuing propaganda war between the rival concerns.

Shortly afterwards, Korzhuyev announced that the first flight of the MFI heavy `fifth-generation' fighter would take place this August. MFI flight tests will be carried out mainly to accumulate flight-test data and to validate technology in two other ANPK MiG programmes under way.

The first of these is a future lightweight fighter, the I-2000 (or LFI) programme, which has recently been accelerated to reach initial operational capability with the Russian Air Force in about 2005 (Jane's Defence Weekly 15 April). The I-2000 is billed as a close counterpart to the US Joint Strike Fighter and will be a basic lightweight air-combat and ground-attack fighter for the Russian Air Force as well as for export. The aircraft will have a low radar and infrared signature, as well as high manoeuvrability and short take-off and landing characteristics.

The most pressing need in the immediate future is to modernise the current MiG-29 fighter, for the Russian Air Force and for foreign users. This upgrade programme is popularly dubbed the MiG-29SMT and Product 9-17 within the design bureau. The programme provides for new avionics and radar (of a new or modernised type), the installation of air-to-surface armament and new air-to-air missiles, as well as a reduction in the aircraft's radar signature thanks to radar-dissipating coatings.

Experimental aircraft within the MiG-29SMT programme are undergoing tests to validate individual design solutions, including the aircraft with new avionics that flew for the first time on 29 November last year, as well as the MiG-29SM with TV-guided bombs and air-to-surface missiles (ASMs). The first flight of the aircraft incorporating all the various modifications is set for mid-year.

The Russian Air Force considers the MiG-29 upgrade programme a priority and the modernisation will cover all Russian MiG-29s. The date and scope of the modernisation are unknown, but it will probably be split into several stages. The essential component of the upgrade is the provision of ASMs to increase the combat potential of Russian Air Force strike capabilities. Most probably, the Su-27 will remain the basic air-superiority fighter in Russia, while the principal tasks of the upgraded MiG-29 (and later the new I-2000) will shift from air-to-air missions into the ground-attack role, a niche which has been left vacant since the the MiG-27 and Su-17 attack aircraft were retired at the beginning of the 1990s.

Another of the most promising and profitable of ANPKMiG's programmes is the MiG-AT advanced jet trainer developed in co-operation with various French companies. Type 821 is an export version with French engines and avionics, while Type 823 for the Russian Air Force will use domestically produced avionics and, later, engines. The single-seat MiG-AC combat version will feature the Mosquito-1 lightweight radar and a range of guided weapons.

The most recent revelation at ANPK MiG is the declaration by its deputy general director, Anatoliy Belosvet, about work that has been continuing since early last year on a commercial space launch system using the MiG-31 interceptor. The system will utilise experience gained from experiments with the anti-satellite MiG-31D (Product 07) aircraft in 1986. That programme was abandoned after two prototypes were built.

The MiG-31 is a heavy long-range interceptor, an aircraft type traditionally required by Russia for its vast northern territories, most of which is not covered by ground radar and surface-to-air missile sites. Work on an improved version of the MiG-31, the MiG-31M, has been halted for lack of money. The same fate befell the Type 701 interceptor (or MDP, mnogofunktsionalnyi dalnyi perekhvatchik, multifunction long-range interceptor) designed in the 1980s. The 701 was to be much larger than the MiG-31 (a length of 30m compared to 22.7m for the MiG-31). Its range was to be 7,000km flying at a cruising speed 2,500km/h, or 11,000km at subsonic speed. Work on the 701 project is continued at the paper stage only. It is likely that the MiG-31 will be replaced by a suitably adapted version of a standard air-superiority fighter (such as the Su-30, a modified version of the Su-27), rather than by a specially designed interceptor.

ANPKMiG is also working on a MiG-31 interceptor upgrade, called the MiG-31F. This gives the aircraft a multirole capability. A wide range of ASMs will be added, including the Kh-31 anti-radar and Kh-59M TV-guided weapons. New AAMs incorporated from the MiG-31M programme include the medium-range R-77 `Adder' as well as long- and ultra-long range types. The Zaslon radar will be upgraded using technology from the improved Zaslon-M programme with better multi-target engagement, the capability to detect Mach 6 (M6.0) targets, better resolution, as well as real-beam and synthetic-aperture ground-mapping modes. Although planned for several years, this modernisation will make more sense when the Russian Air Force and Air Defence Troops merge into one, a move planned to take place this year (at present, no air-to-ground tasks are provided by Air Defence Troops operating MiG-31s).

The cruising speed is to be 4,250km/h (M4.0) at an altitude of 82,020ft to 88,582ft (25km to 27km). Variable geometry wings are necessary for operation from existing airfields. The design take-off weight is about 80 tonnes, half of which is fuel weight. Two variants of the 301 are planned, a reconnaissance aircraft with electronic-intelligence and sideways-looking airborne radar equipment and a bomber with stand-off missiles carried in an internal weapons bay.

Analysts have predicted that in the long term, ANPKMiG's business prospects are better than those of Sukhoi. The ANPKMiG programmes are closer to market needs, particularly the MiG-29 upgrade programme, the development of its successor, the I-2000, and the MiG-AT trainer. Many believe Sukhoi's main weakness is its own internal politics.

Recently, a group of designers who could not or would not co-operate with bureau chief Mikhail Simonov left the design bureau. This happened before in the early 1980s when many left for ANPKMiG. The air forces have accused Simonov of delaying state orders to pursue his own initiatives instead, allocating resources to programmes that have little potential for success such as the S-37 forward-swept wing fighter."

(source: Jane's Defense Weekly, 04-29-98, 1998; Issue: PSA-2084; Wednesday, April 29, 1998; BRIEFING Section)

Conclusion

LFI is a logical successor to Mig 29
MFI( Pak-FA) is a logical sucessor to Su 27 series

Last edited:

d_berwal

Banned Member
gf0012-aust said:
what date is this volume?

I have Janes All the Worlds Aircraft for 2004 on my desk and it stipulates that the dates are blown out and unlikely to see a test platform until 2010-2012.

There is a funding issue as well which could extend that date even further
FUNDING ISSUE " If India chosses it for M-MRCA< funding will not be a problem.

Dates actully fit the Indian M-MRCA requirement

My opinion

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
d_berwal said:
FUNDING ISSUE " If India chosses it for M-MRCA< funding will not be a problem.

Dates actully fit the Indian M-MRCA requirement

My opinion
one of the major issues is that even the articles you cite are all circa 1998-1999. In light of the 2004-2005 Janes reports (as welll as Av Int'l etc) then there are real questions of it meeting any schedules.

Money per se, is not the only delimiter. Fundamentally, in mil aviation terms, any technical commentary (let alone project commentary) that is 7-8 years old is redundant.

One only has to look at Russian announcements over the last 3 years to see that even the short project announcements aren't being achieved.

On a side note re posting articles:
  • please remember that we stipulate that cut and pasted articles require commentary from the poster
  • please try and break up your cut and pastes as once they hit more than 1.5 screens, then they lose their impact. Its better for everyone to see them reduced even if it means breaking them up separately.
thx

d_berwal

Banned Member
gf0012-aust said:
one of the major issues is that even the articles you cite are all circa 1998-1999. In light of the 2004-2005 Janes reports (as welll as Av Int'l etc) then there are real questions of it meeting any schedules.

Money per se, is not the only delimiter. Fundamentally, in mil aviation terms, any technical commentary (let alone project commentary) that is 7-8 years old is redundant.

One only has to look at Russian announcements over the last 3 years to see that even the short project announcements aren't being achieved.
Every project has trouble meeting schedules.

I believe even F-22 is behing the original schedule.

The new Saeqeh-80 Iranian (trainer) plane is a scaled down version of I-2000.
Russia and Iran were supposed to work on I-2000 together until Russia pulled out because of outside pressure.

VITYAZ - 2000 is a further development to I-2000 and Russians want to use the work done on I-2000, M-MRCA req gives them an opportunity to utilise the work already done on I-2000.

I guess the race for M-MRCA is really hotting up and whoever gets the bulk of M-MRCA tender will let him survive in the business. MIG is really pulling out everything it has to offer in terms of Tec or designs to win the TENDER, this shows HOW IMP IT IS FOR MIG TO WIN THE ORDER FROM INDIA>

tphuang

Super Moderator
I just don't see how you can buy a blueprint, when other really capable and truly multirole fighters are available.

If the Russians claim that they can get prototypes out by 2010, they probably can, but the quality will be subpar (as seen by other deals where they were on a short schedule). I'm guessing 2015 would be when the first operating I-2000 might enter the service if IAF does choose this.

d_berwal

Banned Member
Clarification on russian 5th gen fighters:

In early September 1997, Defence Minister Igor Sergeyev revealed that Russia simultaneously develops six new generation fighter aircraft. This means that MAPO MIG and ANTK Sukhoi proceed with more development programmes than Europe (Rafale, Eurofighter and Gripen) and US (F-22 and JSF) together. Although very same revelation followed by a statement that Russian military-industrial complex was working on technologies that were 10 to 15 per cent ahead of the rest of the world, there is a very little indication that MoD actually provides any significant funding for any of these fighter projects. Most of the work financed by Sukhoi and Mikoyan themselves. Two aircraft has been flown (one of which was revealed to public), another underwent high speed taxi trials, remaining two out of three are expected to made their maiden flight within a year. It is a matter of classification, but strictly speaking new fighters broadly fit four-and-a-half (4++) to five-and-a-half generation range.

ANTK Sukhoi

Su-37
http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/su37.htm
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su37/

S-37/ Su 47 (aka S-32)
http://www.fighter-planes.com/info/s37.htm
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/rap/RAFAQ/six5th_5.html
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/s37/

S-55
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/rap/RAFAQ/six5th_6.html

MAPO MIG

MiG-35 (aka MiG-29M2)

Article 1.42
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/rap/RAFAQ/MiG1.42.html

LFI
http://www.sirviper.com/index.php?page=div/Mig_i-2000

aaaditya

well guys since this is the mmrca thread ,i request the web to make an exception and allow these images to remain.

the ef2000's looking sophisticated as usual.

rafale, simply out of this world.

by the way can someone tell me what are those small canard like structures on the nose of the aircraft,the flat plate like structures on both the air intakes and the ball and nozzle like structure on the left air intake and what their functions.

grippen means buisness.

Scorpion82

aaaditya said:
by the way can someone tell me what are those small canard like structures on the nose of the aircraft,the flat plate like structures on both the air intakes and the ball and nozzle like structure on the left air intake and what their functions.
These "canard like structures" are AoA measurers or however you want to call it.
The small modules on the airlift intakes include components of the electronic warefare system Spectra. Spectra includes RWR/ESM, ECM, MAW and LWR as well as chaff/flare dispensers.

Scorpion82

So and here are my thoughts about russians 5th generation fighters and the related articles above.

The first important thing to note is that these articles are years old and many things like schedules can't be met. The Su-47 (S-37) and the MiG MFI are experimental aircraft as the RuAF didn't want one of the two.

S-54 and 55 are dead ducks in my opinion. There is no indications that these two projects will be realized.

The main russian 5th generation fighter under developement is the Sukhoi T-50 within the PAK-FA which might enter production around 2012-2015. How good this aircraft will be? No idea there're simply not enough informations available. The only thing I know is that the T-50 will be a larger fighter, smaller than the current Flanker series, but probably larger than the MiG-29 or at least equally large. The aircraft will be powered by 2 AL-41F turbofans and will have stealth capabilities.

The I-2000 is exspected for export only to my understanding. But introduction into russian service would make sence. But is Russia able to afford two new generation types? Initially the T-50 will use some of the avionics which are under developement for the new Su-35 (T-10BM/Su-27SM2).

aaaditya

Scorpion82 said:
These "canard like structures" are AoA measurers or however you want to call it.
The small modules on the airlift intakes include components of the electronic warefare system Spectra. Spectra includes RWR/ESM, ECM, MAW and LWR as well as chaff/flare dispensers.
thanks very much for the information,however doesnt,the rafale have the spectra on the wingtips?

i dont see,the current posistioning of spectra,giving the aircraft all aspect jamming capability.

suryaaa

adityaaaa thanks for those pictures ,they are cool .
your rafale pic s gives them mean look .

is their any chance that india will get this machine.

i heard that france is intrested in giving india 40 rafales in a seperate deal.

is their any improvement on it.

aaaditya

suryaaa said:
adityaaaa thanks for those pictures ,they are cool .
your rafale pic s gives them mean look .

is their any chance that india will get this machine.

i heard that france is intrested in giving india 40 rafales in a seperate deal.

is their any improvement on it.
thanks ,but they are not mine,but downloaded from the web.

i would give a better chance for the rafale and the mig35 going by the past history,which the super hornet being the dark horse.

i will try to post their cockpits soon.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
aaaditya said:
i would give a better chance for the rafale and the mig35 going by the past history,which the super hornet being the dark horse.
what past history?

the Rafale has served in one hot theatre and with a maximum of 8 aircraft on tour. (Op Herakles). They ran as companion packages with Shornets and USN organic tankers

the mig35 has been deployed where and when? what operational history exists?

The SHornet OTOH has literally thousands of operational hours tested against hundreds of platforms against multiple weapons loads.

The others don't even come remotely close on the basis of operational data.

I assume that you're not serious when you make comment about judging platforms based on appearance.

warfighting is about function over form - form over function is for car shows and catwalks. ;)

as a parallel, its akin to some of the kids on here who get immersed about "one to one" comparisons of "x" widget against "y" widget and are completely oblivious about logistics.

I'm not a devotee of the Shornet, but if we are going to use real world assessment, then its a proven and competent product that fulfills basically all of the validation and acceptance criteria for "usefulness".

aaaditya

gf0012-aust said:
what past history?

the Rafale has served in one hot theatre and with a maximum of 8 aircraft on tour. (Op Herakles). They ran as companion packages with Shornets and USN organic tankers

the mig35 has been deployed where and when? what operational history exists?

The SHornet OTOH has literally thousands of operational hours tested against hundreds of platforms against multiple weapons loads.

The others don't even come remotely close on the basis of operational data.

I assume that you're not serious when you make comment about judging platforms based on appearance.

warfighting is about function over form - form over function is for car shows and catwalks. ;)

as a parallel, its akin to some of the kids on here who get immersed about "one to one" comparisons of "x" widget against "y" widget and are completely oblivious about logistics.

I'm not a devotee of the Shornet, but if we are going to use real world assessment, then its a proven and competent product that fulfills basically all of the validation and acceptance criteria for "usefulness".
i meant with respect to purchase of technology,india operates the mirage2000's and the russian mig29's.

it will be easier on basis of infrastructure,and also india is really imprssed with the performance of the mirage2000's(which was the original favourite).