Low Probability of Detection/Intercept

MDF

Greetings,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have often seen the terms "low probability of intercept" (LPI) and "low probability of detection" (LPD) used within the same sentence (and often stated "LPI/LPD") when describing active sensors and datalinks. What is the difference between these two concepts, or are they essentially synonymous? (In the interest of saving responders' time and effort, I understand, at least at a layman's level, concepts like frequency-hopping, directional antennae, narrow beam width, etc., and that these features might make a sensor/datalink difficult to detect or intercept).

Thanks!

r3mu511

^fwiw, in tech literature I've seen a few instances where they make a distinction between the two (at least for their particular use in their paper/book):

- D.Adamy in "EW102: Electronic Warfare Course" uses "LPID" to denote the lowest capability of LPI in which an opfor ESM was able to detect the RF signal but is unable to identify/classify it based on the ESM's threat library; whereas the highest capability of "LPI" is used to denote an RF signal which is not detected

- M.Low in "Detection of LPI Radar Emissions" defines interception as “the ability of the ESM system to capture electromagnetic energy due to the antenna being pointed in the correct direction, and the receiver being tuned to the correct frequency”; while detection is “the ability of the ESM system to recognize that energy has in fact been intercepted”

- J.Lange in "Relative Nature of LPD Radar" describes "LPD" as detection of the RF signal in the direction of the main lobe of the radar beam; while "LPI" is detection of the RF signal in the direction(s) of the side lobe(s) of the radar beam

MDF

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
^fwiw, in tech literature I've seen a few instances where they make a distinction between the two (at least for their particular use in their paper/book):

- D.Adamy in "EW102: Electronic Warfare Course" uses "LPID" to denote the lowest capability of LPI in which an opfor ESM was able to detect the RF signal but is unable to identify/classify it based on the ESM's threat library; whereas the highest capability of "LPI" is used to denote an RF signal which is not detected

- M.Low in "Detection of LPI Radar Emissions" defines interception as “the ability of the ESM system to capture electromagnetic energy due to the antenna being pointed in the correct direction, and the receiver being tuned to the correct frequency”; while detection is “the ability of the ESM system to recognize that energy has in fact been intercepted”

- J.Lange in "Relative Nature of LPD Radar" describes "LPD" as detection of the RF signal in the direction of the main lobe of the radar beam; while "LPI" is detection of the RF signal in the direction(s) of the side lobe(s) of the radar beam
Interesting definitions. Thanks.

No one liners. Please read the Defence Talk site rules about acceptable posting behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator: