J-7 Fishbed - Chinese Air Force

Warwiz

I just saw a pic of an old Chinese fighter call the J-7 Fishbed here on the Defense Forum. My question is what is the large needle in the front of the aircraft for? Is it Decoration?:?2 I seen it in the pass on other aircraft.

dragonfire

I just saw a pic of an old Chinese fighter call the J-7 Fishbed here on the Defense Forum. My question is what is the large needle in the front of the aircraft for? Is it Decoration?:?2 I seen it in the pass on other aircraft.

The fishbed is a mig-21 if i am not wrong and usualy there arent any "decorations" on fighter aircraft other than paint jobs and grafiti, usualy the "needles" are antannae of some sort, communications or sensor related

The fishbed is a mig-21 if i am not wrong and usualy there arent any "decorations" on fighter aircraft other than paint jobs and grafiti, usualy the "needles" are antannae of some sort, communications or sensor related
http://www.army.lv/photos/10153.jpg
;)Look at this image - you are talking about component 1 ( 2 and 3 )
this is a Pitot-Static Boom

more here: Su-22 Walk Around

Front view. In the lower part of the intake cone, barely visible, is the window for the KLEN-54 laser rangefinder/target marker. The short probe protruding from the upper nose is the auxiliary pitot tube, while the longer one includes -front to rear- the main pitot head, the yaw and pitch vanes and a set of aerials related to the radio navigation and landing systems. Note, inside the canopy, the (pneumatically operated) stowed curtain for instrument flying training and the central, rear-viewing, periscope.

A pitot (pronounced /ˈpiːtoʊ/) tube is a pressure measurement instrument used to measure fluid flow velocity. The pitot tube was invented by the French engineer Henri Pitot in the early 1700s[1] and was modified to its modern form in the mid 1800s by French scientist Henry Darcy[2]. It is widely used to determine the airspeed of an aircraft and to measure air and gas velocities in industrial applications.

Cheers,
Plas

Warwiz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.army.lv/photos/10153.jpg
;)Look at this image - you are talking about component 1 ( 2 and 3 )
this is a Pitot-Static Boom

more here: Su-22 Walk Around

Front view. In the lower part of the intake cone, barely visible, is the window for the KLEN-54 laser rangefinder/target marker. The short probe protruding from the upper nose is the auxiliary pitot tube, while the longer one includes -front to rear- the main pitot head, the yaw and pitch vanes and a set of aerials related to the radio navigation and landing systems. Note, inside the canopy, the (pneumatically operated) stowed curtain for instrument flying training and the central, rear-viewing, periscope.

A pitot (pronounced /ˈpiːtoʊ/) tube is a pressure measurement instrument used to measure fluid flow velocity. The pitot tube was invented by the French engineer Henri Pitot in the early 1700s[1] and was modified to its modern form in the mid 1800s by French scientist Henry Darcy[2]. It is widely used to determine the airspeed of an aircraft and to measure air and gas velocities in industrial applications.

Cheers,
Plas
======================

Ah ok so it something useful then.
I couldn't find the exact picture J-7EB Fishbed - Chinese Air Force - Military Pictures - Air Force Army Navy Missiles Defense
but it does look like the one you showed.