Iranian Drones

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Now we all know that the Iranians have the best Press releases, right up there with Saddams Iraq and the Greens. I'm wondering, Any clues as to the type of drone, whether its just remote control plane and also whether the carrier reacted. You would think that at this range you could look off the deck and see the damn thing(just saying!)
And i know they have to pass close to Iran at times and they would'nt shoot it down, but did they see it, detect it, and could this be in Lebanon for the next war?

Last edited:

merocaine

Hmmm I wonder if those little drones can carry lazer designators..... what do they call those russian made tactical missles, the iskander, the iranians have those dont they?

I dont think american carriar forces allow UFO's in the airspace... slipped in to easily.

Big-E

Banned Member
The resolution on that photo is horrible... it looks like something off google-earth. If that is as good as Iranian cameras are I'll tell them to not waste their time on UAVs. :nutkick

szaba

It doesnt matter what the resolution is - if you can shadow the fleet and determine if they have an issue with the catapault or some maintenance issue that prevents launching the next e2-c or can just do better with the determination of carrier location for missile attack, course speed and direction etc you are getting valuable info. If you want to work out the best timing for offensive action then the info is invaluable.

If the drones can designate then they are most definitely not welcome.
It is possible that the US Navy ECM guys just wanted to listen in and get good data on Iranian telemetry frequencies etc.

Big-E

Banned Member
It doesnt matter what the resolution is - if you can shadow the fleet and determine if they have an issue with the catapault or some maintenance issue that prevents launching the next e2-c or can just do better with the determination of carrier location for missile attack, course speed and direction etc you are getting valuable info. If you want to work out the best timing for offensive action then the info is invaluable.

If the drones can designate then they are most definitely not welcome.
It is possible that the US Navy ECM guys just wanted to listen in and get good data on Iranian telemetry frequencies etc.
I don' think your getting the jist of my remark, that photo is not from a drone... it is from a commercial space based system. It is most probably from Google Earth. If you noticed the logo and description is transposed over the likely placement trade marks of Google Earth. If you go by that data your about a year too late. :eek:nfloorl:

You have to realize how big a Nimitz class carrier is... it is almost half a mile long. If a drone was taking it's picture it would be alot bigger than that little spec that is the original resolution of that photo. When I do a fly over the fleet I can be at 30,000 and take a stock camera and get the blown-up picture they have at a perfect resolution. I could take my camera phone and get the crappy photo they have. In conclusion no drone would give resolutions that bad... we know Iran has access to better remote cameras than that. That image is from a commercial satellite.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry Big-E, its no satallite. I've tracked down a photo with better res, and, and the VIDEO to go with it. I know google Earth is good and all, but Google Video is even better because you can't say it came from a satallite, and that it again asks, how the hell did it get so frigging close, there is no activity while it is taping, and no one is scrambling, and if the story is anything to go by, then this is worse

Iran's Arabic language television station broadcast footage it claimed showed a US aircraft carrier cruising in Gulf waters it said was taken by an unmanned Iranian drone.

The brief minute-long film, which was shown on Al-Alam television's evening news bulletin, showed wobbly aerial footage of an aircraft carrier stacked with war planes as it sailed.

The television's anchor said the film, the property of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard, showed a vessel from "the US fleet in the Persian Gulf".

"A source in the Revolutionary Guard said the drone carried out its mission without US fighter pilots reaching it," the television said.

It said there were 10 such films taken by the drone which showed "more precise information and details about military equipment, foreign forces, and their activities in the Persian Gulf."

The station did not name the vessel nor did it say when the footage was shot.

The broadcast comes near the end of Iran's latest 10-day war games, "Great Prophet II", which military chiefs have said were aimed at showing off Iran's defensive prowess and testing new military hardware.

This is courtesy of Defencetech Story.http://www.defensetech.org/

As for the Video and better Res Photo,
http://www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=23323&only&rss

Big-E

Banned Member
That video is so crappy you can't even make out the deck number, for all I know it could be a model. It probably isn't but still you would think they could put a better camera on that thing.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is Iran, how do you suppose they get Nokia to ship them a couple of Digicams, Fedex or Toll?

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ahh, china, touche Big E, trust those guys to make anything you want excpet in different spelling, so it will be an Iranian drone with a Nekia Camera system.
But it still does not explain how the hell the drone got so close without a reaction, unless someone already checked it out and had no clearence to remove it, actually, could you?

abramsteve

Hmmm thats pretty interesting. I imediatley wrote it off as a hoax untill I saw that it was video footage and watched the clip. Im still not convinced but I am of one thing, fake or not, how damm impressive are those carriers!!!!

The clips worth watching just for the footage of the ship! :)

Big-E

Banned Member
It's not like they would do anything about an Iranian UAV. There was a PLAN attack sub within striking distance of the Kitty Hawk last month and we didn't do anything about that. It is international waters... they can fly all the drones they want over a strike group in peace time, especially an unarmed UAV that can't take a good picture.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Owe, how cute, Big-E is getting all uptight cause his Carrier budies allowed the Iranians to get some nice little pictures of them slacking off, Its so adorable:p2

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
See, how the hell do you fit a Nekia Cam into that bloody thing

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thats the idea, you go to shoot it down,think bout the little kid, then bugger off. What you need to do is take the shot for the hell of it and situation solved

Big-E

Banned Member
Thats the idea, you go to shoot it down,think bout the little kid, then bugger off. What you need to do is take the shot for the hell of it and situation solved
That shows you the compassion of the USN. We can't deprive a child nor IRIAF of it's fragile little toys.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And yet Al jazeer paints you guys as bullies, this story is proof that your not!