Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1965a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0358a.JPG

Miramar_14_GR4_1646a.JPG

Miramar_14_LF_0221a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Iran Adds New Fighter Jet To Air Force

This is a discussion on Iran Adds New Fighter Jet To Air Force within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; In the article they call this new A/C "Saegheh (Thunder)". I think they made a mistake because this is a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old September 7th, 2006   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:

In the article they call this new A/C "Saegheh (Thunder)".
I think they made a mistake because this is a missile.
The new aircraft is called "Saeqeh (Lightning)" and this is a modified F-5.
Kobus_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #2
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Since when could a F-5 mod be "more capable" than a F-18 ???

I think you're right about the name.

Quote:
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE | Thu, September 7th, 2006, 02:30

Tehran: Iran on Wednesday said it has developed a new warplane named "Thunder," which it described as similar to the American F-18 fighter jet. The fighter jet is "similar to the F-18 fighter jet, but it is more capable and has been manufactured domestically," the commander of the Iranian army General Attollah Salehi was quoted as saying by the state news agency IRNA.

Iranian state television reported that the jet "is able to fire rockets and also to drop bombs and is equipped with an advanced radar system.

"The fighter jet Saegheh (Thunder), after successful military operations and accurately firing air-to-surface rockets in the Zolfaghar Blow maneuvers, came into the service of the Iranian air force today," the report said.

The air force, army and navy have been showing off their capabilities and new hardware for the last month in the Zolfaghar Blow war games, which come amid mounting international concern over Tehran's nuclear programme.

The report added "the plane, which has flown dozens of experimental flights during the last year, joined the air force with full fighting capacity."

Salehi told IRNA the jet was "designed, remodeled, optimized and made more capable by our engineers," and added that "no country has aided us in its production."

US President George W. Bush on Tuesday called Iran's leaders "tyrants" as dangerous as Al-Qaeda terrorists and said they must not be allowed to get nuclear weapons -- "the tools of mass murder."

Tehran has insisted that it seeks only civilian nuclear power, but is facing a US drive for sanctions on the UN Security Council after missing a deadline ordering it to halt sensitive uranium enrichment operations.

Defencetalk.com/news
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220381_orig.jpg (37.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 220380_orig.jpg (38.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 220382_orig.jpg (14.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 33_8506140536_L600.jpg (104.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 7_850615_L600.jpg (93.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 6_850615_L600.jpg (105.9 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Grand Danois; September 7th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.
Grand Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Danois
Since when could a F-5 mod be "more capable" than a F-18 ???
Indeed. Who considers it similar/"more capable" and why should be the question asked. Of course the Iranians will claim anything.
Musashi_kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #4
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi_kenshin
Indeed. Who considers it similar/"more capable" and why should be the question asked. Of course the Iranians will claim anything.
Of course I consider the claim ridiculous! A 60's vintage light fighter more capable than an F-18? It has little payload and room for avionics and weapons, so how much can you reasonably upgrade it... I don't think it would be used operationally, but is rather a testbed for some research...
Old September 7th, 2006   #5
Banned Member
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Thanks for this thread, I really needed this laugh... F-5 rip off better than my Hornet, even my old bird.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #6
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
If they feel they can go head to head with a Hornet with one of those then lets let em try?!

Clowns

However it is an interesting looking aircraft. I wonder what its advantages actually are...
abramsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #7
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
It looks like F-20 and YF-17 bastard childe…
Old September 7th, 2006   #8
Banned Member
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsteve
If they feel they can go head to head with a Hornet with one of those then lets let em try?!

Clowns

However it is an interesting looking aircraft. I wonder what its advantages actually are...
It's actually less capable I would imagine. They built the engine themselves so it can't be too powerful. The dual tail fin on such a slender aircraft actually makes the turning radius wider, that's why they didn't put it on the original F-5. They probably did it to adjust for pitch problems they had copying the design.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #9
Private
Threads:
What can I say? Either they don't know what they're talking about, or this is all just dumb propaganda. The aircraft looks nice with that twin tail (though it might affect its agillity), the only resemblance with the Hornet I think, also the nose and engine intakes are slighty different, but apart from that I see a F-5.

Quote:
Iranian state television reported that the jet "is able to fire rockets and also to drop bombs and is equipped with an advanced radar system.
The MiG-21 (and I'm not talking about the Lancer either) is more than capable of firing rockets and dropping bombs as any decent fighter (including the F-5) is able to do that, so what's the big deal about it? Advanced radar system? I doubt it has more than an upgraded radar. I wouldn't take that aircraft against a Lancer (similar size, but better performance and avionics), little less against a F/A-18. This has "propaganda" written all over it. Anyway, I would like to see some specifications for this jet.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #10
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
come on give em some credit, its not like they get alot of help building this stuff, most of the rest of the mid east could'ent build a calculator without western help.
merocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #11
Private
Threads:
Saying that this jet is "similar to the F-18 fighter jet, but it is more capable" is very, very dubious. You simply can't make the F-5 better than a Hornet. Ok, let's say they can somehow make it faster or more maneuverable, it would still be inferior to a Hornet when it comes to avionics. And no Hornet pilot will wait for that F-5/F-20 copy to get close enough for a dogfight. What kind of AA missiles does that fighter carry? What are the capabilities of its radar (range, modes etc)? What kind of ECM equipment does it carry? Don't tell me that they turned a '60s fighter into a 4.5 gen fighter. With every upgrade, the F-16 gets bigger, fatter, you can actually see where they install new avionics, look at the fuselage. That aircraft looks almost the same as a F-5. And this is just a bird's eye view so to say. I'm not getting into details.

Last edited by Burner; September 7th, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #12
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merocaine
come on give em some credit, its not like they get alot of help building this stuff, most of the rest of the mid east could'ent build a calculator without western help.
I don't think it is the aircraft or the mod of it per se that is getting bashed, but rather how it is being presented by Iran.
Old September 7th, 2006   #13
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
guys its difficult to say anything at this moment not that i support this claim that it is equal to an f/a-18 hornet but we really dont know anything about this aircraft's avionics the missiles or armament it can carry and the aircraft's engine they probably must have received assistance from russia on this one but still guys three decades old airframe cannot be equal to a hornet can it??????
falconlover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #14
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
I admit they overdo it sometimes.Its true that they are the only self-sufficient nation in the ME but they still overdo it sometimes.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #15
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Yeah they talk a lot of shite about there gear, but you got to start somewhere.
As long as its fast got a powerful radar and some long range air to air missles it should be capable enough as a basic interceptor.
merocaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: