Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Indonesian Aero News

This is a discussion on Indonesian Aero News within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by John Newman Memory is a bit faded, but wasn't there issues with both the US and UK ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.40 average.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #841
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman View Post
Memory is a bit faded, but wasn't there issues with both the US and UK over the F-16 and Hawks respectively in the early 90's??

I seem to remember that US placed sanctions (arms embargo?) and the UK too in regard to support and/or for additional Hawks.
Yes indeed, and the US keep the embargo active for many years without a good reason, even after other countries deleted the embargo like the UK.

Our air force was in a bad condition in that period because of the economic crisis and the American embargo.

In that period the F-5E/Fs were in the MACAN midlife update program, but two of them were still in the US, and they refused to deliver them, although we already paid for it. They even later demanded that we pay for the 'storage costs'. ...

So the lesson Indonesia learned is not to be depended from one supplier and to better start to produce weapon and defence systems locally.
Sandhi Yudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #842
Colonel
Threads:
@r0m..why SU35..? Why more Flankers ?..many points can be talk..but in my opinion because they want Gen 4++ fighters that derived from existing Gen 4 fighters they already have.

Thus they already familiar with SU27/30 so next steep is SU 35..

How about F-16..they are familiar with that right ? Why not that ?
Well frm existing 10 F-16 blk15 OCU, they add 24 ex USAF blk 25, and upgrade them with blk 52 avionics which then the supplier call them as F-16 52id. They are planning also to upgrade those 10 blk 15 OCU to same standard as F16 52id.

Is the story of F-16 end there? Well LM do make rigerous campaign for Blk 70. They with US Embassy recently shown blk 72 simulators in one USAID site in one of mall in Jakarta.

Simulator F-16 “Fighting Falcon” Hadir di @america! – ARCINC.ID

However since The first priority for Fighter in 2014-19 procurement period is for F-5 replacement..then Su35 is in the news now as Su 35.
Is there room for that F-16 blk72 ? Well if we are talk on long term plan seems there is..

TNI AU ORBAT was 7 sq:
1sq F-16 blk 15
1sq F-5
1sq OV 10 as COIN
1sq Hawk 50 as LIFT/Light Attack
2sq Hawk 200/100 as Light Attack/Recce
1sq Su27/30

As I mentioned few years back..TNI AU long term plan is to increase ORBAT to 10 sq by reviving some defunct sq # frm the 60's. So how's that plan progressing now ?

1sq of F-16 got add 24 additional F-16 frm existing 10. Thus enough to revive 1 defunct sq to make;
2 sq of F-16.
1sq of F-5 being replace by SU-35.
1sq of OV10 as COIN being replace by Super Tucano
1sq of Hawk 50 as LIFT being replace by T-50i
1sq of Su27/30
2sq of Hawk 200/100
Thus frm 7 sq they are now have 8 sq in the ORBAT.

That's left another 2 sq to revive to make it 10. However seems they will not doing it on 14-19 budget, but on 19-24 budget.
They already said they want to replace Hawk 200/100, which FA50 being discussed as potential candidate. So many local analyst talking on getting Blk 72 as potential 1 new sq, frm 2 plan revive sq.

So..in plan there are room still for additional F-16. How about Rafale, Eurojet or Grippen that are coming in also to offered their products ? Well the chances are there..However I'm thinkin on Additional F-16/Vipper and FA50..simply due to fammiliarity on operation, and for latter on close cooperation now building between DI and KAI.

In the end TNI-AU and Mindef betting on this:
https://m.tempo.co/read/news/2017/07...apai-14-persen

The KFX/IFX project is the main ambition by both ROKAF and TNI-AU, as the back bone of their fleet in the future. However the most ambitious scheddule can only see main production begin fill in to both AF after 2030.

@sandhi yudha..yes they are moving much slower compared to previous admin..but they are able to increased the # of Orbat frm 7 to 8 sq..O wait..that's the result of previous admin..😀
So they (present admin) need to shown they are able to get this Su35 deal rolling before the next ellection..afterall they don't want to be seen as 'only talkin' administration right..

After all many of the infrastructure projects are plann and conceived by previous admin who are now their opposition in next ellection..they don't want to be seen as admin that can only finishing other people projects..
Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #843
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Well, lets hope a contract for the 11 Su-35 will be really signed.

But there is some good news....really good news!

I took this image from another discussionforum, and the one who posted it, only said, it flew for a couple of seconds.
But looking to the photo, the aircraft already reached 4-5 meters of altitude, so the duration of being airborne should be more than 10 seconds or something! Even if it took off and directly landed after, lets say 200 meters flying, it is a real first flight!!!!!

How many years did we wait for this moment?! At least four years of delays, disappointments and an endless stream of empty newsreports....
And now (yesterday), on 11-08-2017, exactly 22 years and one day after the first flight of the N250 (10-08-1995), the N219 fllew for the first time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N219 first flight 11-08-2017.jpg (89.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #844
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman View Post
Memory is a bit faded, but wasn't there issues with both the US and UK over the F-16 and Hawks respectively in the early 90's??

I seem to remember that US placed sanctions (arms embargo?) and the UK too in regard to support and/or for additional Hawks.
Yeah I seem to remember something about the Hawks, but they don't seem to have had many issues with F-16's and the new orders and upgrades seem to show they have significant confidence in that platform's level of support, not to mention the L-M content in T-50i / F/A-50...
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #845
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
If I remember correctly back in the 1990's some people broke into the British Aerospace plant at Warton and damaged a number of TNI-AU Hawks.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #846
Colonel
Threads:
I think few years back I say in this thread quoting frm some TNI AU pilots that I meet in local defence show..they "like" their flankers, and they "love" their F-16..

TNIAU brass always think their backbone is F-16..however just like all the brass in TNI 3 branches..they also did not want to depend only to Western supplier anymore like in Soeharto era or only to Eastern supplier like in Soekarno era in 60's..

Those are the main thinkin and I believe will stay for sometime in future..thus personally I believe TNI AU will get their assets both from Russian and US in turn..They got 24 refurbished F-16 few years back, before that they got SU-27/30. Now they are commited to get latest flanker, thus I think next acquisition will be latest F-16..

The thing with Euro sources (either SAAB, Rafale, or Eurofighter) frm what I gather on TNI AU..is more limited population which resulted with more expensive support later on..Thus why LM still have strong confidence that they can got deal for Blk 70 Viper sometime in future..

LM seems see themselves in good possition with F-16 being look favourably by TNI AU..Also with TA-50 and potentially FA-50 can also come out as Hawk 100/200 replacement in future..and KFX/IFX for longer term in future..LM sees their place quite strongly in favour, considering the involvement of LM in both projects with KAI.

TNI AU did not see they will get either F-35 or SU-57/PAKFA in near future. Thus Latest Flankers (SU-35) and latest Vipers (blk 70)..seems what they aim for as supplementary for KFX/IFX (or even fill in, if the projects thus not run as expected) in mid term Future.

Hawk is the example where eventough has lower cost to operate..but considering their limited population (especially Hawk 200)..has increasing support cost. Perhaps why TNI AU decided to run down the fleet and just buy more parts to support, instead on upgrading or refurbished them.

@sturm, the incidents on hawk 200 in BAe facilities in 90's happen before delivery. Thus BAe already fixed the damaged, due to East Timor supporters. Also mostly the damaged only superficially..mostly in paint frm what I understand.
Old 1 Week Ago   #847
Colonel
Threads:
Indonesia's Dirgantara N219 completes maiden flight | Jane's 360

https://youtu.be/etWt7N9vr_0

PT. DI (IAe), test flight its N219 light transport. This is the second DI own design plane after N250 commuter that being freeze due to 1998 Asian Financial crisis. On military uses, TNI AL already shown interest for N219 replacing their aging fleet of Australian made Nomad as light survailances patrol.

On commercial side, DI aimed N219 to enter the market that being dominated by Twin Otter class.
Old 5 Hours Ago   #848
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananda View Post
Indonesia's Dirgantara N219 completes maiden flight | Jane's 360

https://youtu.be/etWt7N9vr_0

PT. DI (IAe), test flight its N219 light transport. This is the second DI own design plane after N250 commuter that being freeze due to 1998 Asian Financial crisis. On military uses, TNI AL already shown interest for N219 replacing their aging fleet of Australian made Nomad as light survailances patrol.

On commercial side, DI aimed N219 to enter the market that being dominated by Twin Otter class.
The first official flight of the N219, the moment we have wait for so many years....
After many years of delays, disappointments and an endless stream of empty newsreports, exactly 22 years and six day after the first flight of the N250 (10-08-1995).
(The N219 flew actually for the first time on 11 August during high speed taxi test...)
I saw the first photos and videos on 16 August (oh boy, the feeling after so many years) but sadly i didnt have the time to share them here in that week. Sorry about that...
Old 5 Hours Ago   #849
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Here a good video of the production process and some tests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2H6Tqf7pWQ

And here a recent video about the orders of N219.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IniqemT_Dk
The remarkable thing is that they talk about an order of 30 aircrafts from Nusantara Buana Air (NBA), as far as i know this airline is completely bankrupt....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: