Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions

This is a discussion on Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by Feanor The MCA tender results may get cancelled because neither of the entries (Rafale and EF) can ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old December 30th, 2011   #76
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
The MCA tender results may get cancelled because neither of the entries (Rafale and EF) can meet the cost requirements. This would mean that they would have to either reconsider some of the dropped entries, or decrease the number of airplanes.
I'm not so sure that this is a legitimate view

All submissions are subjected to a prelim review to ensure that they meet the Govts basis of compliance.

If cost was an absolute constraint then they would have been eliminated at prelim review

Cost is usually considered last, and even if they are high (and I've seen submissions where one vendor was 2.5 times higher than another competitor) then they will still be assessed on technical merit first. Govt always takes the view that they can negotiate a price down as while they are still in negotiation they can default to the next attractive bid

i'd say that the articles view is spurious.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011   #77
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
MMRCA update:

Reports now suggest that the L1 Bidder would be declared by the 3rd week of January, 2012.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011   #78
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
Cost is usually considered last, and even if they are high (and I've seen submissions where one vendor was 2.5 times higher than another competitor) then they will still be assessed on technical merit first. Govt always takes the view that they can negotiate a price down as while they are still in negotiation they can default to the next attractive bid

The very fact that the INR has taken a good thrashing at the hands of the USD in the recent weeks itself is expected to increase the cost from the budgeted 11 Billion USD to 15 Billion USD
Old December 30th, 2011   #79
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The very fact that the INR has taken a good thrashing at the hands of the USD in the recent weeks itself is expected to increase the cost from the budgeted 11 Billion USD to 15 Billion USD
Countries normally factor in currency contingency funds - so currency fluctuations are usually considered separately.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011   #80
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
How would that affect the USD price?

If country A is buying something from country B, & it's priced in currency B, fluctuations in the exchange rate have no effect on the listed price. They affect the amount of currency A needed, not currency B. A fall in the INR against the USD puts the price of USD priced imports up in INR, not USD.

And in any case, Rafale & Eurofighter costs are in euros & sterling, not USD.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011   #81
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
I'm not so sure that this is a legitimate view

All submissions are subjected to a prelim review to ensure that they meet the Govts basis of compliance.

If cost was an absolute constraint then they would have been eliminated at prelim review

I suppose time will tell.

Also yes, sorry about the abbreviation confusion.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012   #82
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
How would that affect the USD price?

If country A is buying something from country B, & it's priced in currency B, fluctuations in the exchange rate have no effect on the listed price. They affect the amount of currency A needed, not currency B. A fall in the INR against the USD puts the price of USD priced imports up in INR, not USD.

And in any case, Rafale & Eurofighter costs are in euros & sterling, not USD.
The Allocation was for 42000 Crore INR (1 Crore = 10 Million) which at the time of allocation was around 10.5 Billion USD at the prevailing rates then. This allocation amount has not changed in the Indian context and if the same needs to be changed the ambit of discussion involves the Ministry of Finance for further allocations. The recent hit that the INR has gone through would generate lesser USD or Euros for the allocated funds
Old January 2nd, 2012   #83
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
The Allocation was for 42000 Crore INR (1 Crore = 10 Million) which at the time of allocation was around 10.5 Billion USD at the prevailing rates then. This allocation amount has not changed in the Indian context and if the same needs to be changed the ambit of discussion involves the Ministry of Finance for further allocations. The recent hit that the INR has gone through would generate lesser USD or Euros for the allocated funds
The finance ministry should have expected to include inflation and the fluctuation in the price of the Rupee when allocating funds. Especially for a project as big as this one. I am not too familiar with economics, but the Broadsword article on the Rupee on the Purchase bill fails to account for the fact that the price of the aircraft will not be paid in full at one time. I am sure that price negotiations can be dragged on for several more months after the L1 vender is chosen and payments probably would not have to be start being made until late next year if not later depending on what the delivery schedule is. I am sure gf0012-aus could shed more light on how payments in large contracts work if you ask nicely.
Rish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012   #84
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Nuclear capable aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky_Mouse View Post
Is a correct assumption. They will replace the role being done by the 4 leased Tu-22M Backfire (not sure if these are still around) and partially by the Mirage-2000H
Sukhoi-30MKI is the longest ranged modern fighter-bomber in the arsenal and in combination with weapons like Brahmos or in future the Hypersonic missile / Nirbhay cruise missile is a potent for SFC role.
It will do this till FGFA join in numbers.
I have been pondering over the question for quite sometime now as to what is it that makes an aircraft capable of launching nuclear weapons?
Factors like Weight is understandable. Anything else? like EMI/EMC/EMP compatibility, etc?
nitinlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012   #85
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
Indian Air force expresses interest in acquiring six more C-17 planes: Boeing - The Economic Times

Boeing has confirmed that they have received from the IAF communication confirming interest in acquiring 6 more C-17s. Which if it materialises could see 16 C-17s with the IAF in the 2015-2016 timeframe.
Old February 23rd, 2012   #86
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
India chopper deal figures in Italy graft investigation

The deal for choppers for VVIP transport is under investigation in Italy. Also under investigation is the contract to supply radar and other equipment for IAC by Selex. I sense dark clouds on the horizon.

Indian eye in the sky

A detailed article about the capabilities of DRDO-EMB-145 AEWCS. DRDO claims that it can track 500 targets simultaneously. Considering that there are only 8 operators on that plane, it better have some considerable MMI to reduce the workload.

Quote:
While this aircraft will now undergo a full certification process over the next two years, India will receive two more Embraer aircraft by the middle of next year to be integrated with the AEW&C System.

The Indian AESA radar is the primary sensor for the indigenous AEW & C. The radar can look 240 degrees within a short time and has a range of 350 km; it can track more than 500 targets simultaneously.
Quote:
The Defence Acquisition Council has given approval for the indigenous development of 2,700 IFF systems and the Services want a single-box solution in the IFF system. The government has the option of buying the remaining 500 IFF systems in the global market.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012   #87
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
IAF to procure 71 more armed choppers

Press Trust of India: Aiming at strengthening its medium-lift helicopter fleet, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is planning to procure 71 more Mi-17 V5 choppers, including 12 for the Ministry of Home Affairs.

These would be in addition to the 80 already ordered from Russia.

The MI-17 V5 falls in armed helicopter category, with substantial and effective firepower. It has latest and more powerful engines that enhance its payload carrying capability at higher altitudes.

IAF to procure 71 more armed choppers
The interesting thing is that of the 71 ordered only 59 are for the IAF the rest dozen are for the Border Security Force (half) and the rest for other Central Armed Police Forces like the Central Reserve Police Force etc which operate under the Home Ministry and not under the Ministry of Defence.

The deliveries for the 80 previously ordered Mil Mi-17Vs have already been started
Old February 26th, 2012   #88
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Approval granted for issue of RFP for MRMR tender.
India approves 9 maritime patrol aircraft buy | StratPost
Quote:
The Defense Acquisitions Council of the Ministry of Defense has accepted the necessity for procuring nine Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft for the Indian Navy. The Acceptance of Necessity (AON) this week came after the evaluation of data provided by vendors in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued almost exactly a year back.

Interestingly, while earlier the perceived requirement was for six aircraft, this has now been upped by three, with an option for additional aircraft, the number of which is yet to be carved in stone.
Quote:
Aircraft Manufacturers and Makes

Boeing: Boeing P-8 (Turbofan)

Airbus: Airbus A-319 (Turbofan)

Embraer: 145 MP (Turbofan)

Dassault: Falcon 900 MPA (Turbofan)

Saab: Saab 2000 (Turboprop)

ATR: ATR 72 (Turboprop)

Bombardier: Q400 (Turboprop)

Casa: C-295 (Turboprop)

Lockheed Martin: C-130 [Interestingly, the RFI had required the aircraft to be a twin engine aircraft. The four turboprop engines of the Hercules may be considered to merely exceed requirements. And the same goes for the Dassault Falcon's three engines.]
Does any other nation use C-130 for maritime patrol ?

Last edited by Twinblade; February 26th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012   #89
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Is this something apart from the P-8I that India is buying? I do not understand the need for it, especially as I consider the P-8 to be an excellent buy. The article also mentions the P-8 amongst the list of MRMR. Could anyone clarify?
DeathAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012   #90
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel View Post
Is this something apart from the P-8I that India is buying? I do not understand the need for it, especially as I consider the P-8 to be an excellent buy. The article also mentions the P-8 amongst the list of MRMR. Could anyone clarify?
They're also in the process of overhauling and upgrading the Tu-142M fleet. This would give them 3 different maritime patrol aircraft filling similar roles.

Though perhaps they plan to replace the Tu-142M with P-8I, and the Il-38SD with the C-130s. However the Il-38SD were also recently upgraded, meaning they plan to retain them in service for a considerable period of time.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: