Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions

This is a discussion on Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; A better resolution picture of NLCA courtesy Shiv Aroor's blog, LIVEFIST http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WkYAPdzUTz...005-760953.jpg...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old September 28th, 2011   #46
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
A better resolution picture of NLCA courtesy Shiv Aroor's blog, LIVEFIST http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WkYAPdzUTz...005-760953.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005-760953.jpg (148.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Twinblade; December 7th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011   #47
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...urW8zTQ%2Bk%3D

Indian Navy's first P8-I

Here's Boeing's promotional video for P-8 I
Awesome Video-Anim of Boeing P-8I For Indian Navy - YouTube

Footage of first flight of P-8I for Indian Navy
Video of first flight of P-8I for Indian Navy
Old October 7th, 2011   #48
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
IAF to induct 214 variants of FGFA

Quote:
NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will induct a total of 214 single and twin-seater variants of the advanced Fifth-Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) being developed jointly by India and Russia and likely to be inducted by 2017.

"We are looking for 166 single seater and 48 twin-seater versions of the aircraft," IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne told reporters here.

IAF to induct 214 variants of fighter aircraft - Times Of India
- -

214 Fighters - 166 Single Seaters and 48 Twin Seaters. Which essentially raises the question of how different would the PAK-FA and FGFA be. Initially it was felt India preferred to operate 2 seater Fighters and would be ordering more Twin Seaters than Single seaters.

Based on this News it looks like IAF is basically going for the PAK-FA with some component customisation and ordering 3 Sqdns of the same but in trainer variant.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011   #49
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Also Interestingly a news not reported here was the order for 75 Pilatus PC-7s for basic training. The order size could go upto 200. What has been challenging is its track record with incidents

The competition was between Grob’s G-120 TP, Embraer’s EMB-312 Super Tucano, Finmeccanica’s M-311, Hawker Beechcraft’s T-6C Texan-II and Korean Aerospace’s KT-1

Swiss Pilatus PC-7 to train IAF rookies - Bangalore - DNA

Wonder if the Surya Kiran team would be revived post deliveries.

If the Intermediate Trainer also shapes up then the training-element headache of the IAF would be eased for a long time.

-- The deliveries are supposed to start from 2013

Last edited by dragonfire; October 7th, 2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Update
Old October 25th, 2011   #50
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
RIA Novosti reports that Apache has been selected over Mi-28N for the attack chopper tender. Apparently AH-64D led Mi-28N in over 20 evaluation points.

The results for utility chopper and heavy lift chopper are still awaited.
*ксп刂‹ €ассказали о п€и‡ина… п€ои㈋ˆа œи-28Н в индийском ‚енде€е | žбо€она и безопаснос‚Œ | ›ен‚а новос‚ей "*˜А Новос‚и"
Old October 25th, 2011   #51
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Also Interestingly a news not reported here was the order for 75 Pilatus PC-7s for basic training. The order size could go upto 200. What has been challenging is its track record with incidents

The competition was between Grobs G-120 TP, Embraers EMB-312 Super Tucano, Finmeccanicas M-311, Hawker Beechcrafts T-6C Texan-II and Korean Aerospaces KT-1

Swiss Pilatus PC-7 to train IAF rookies - Bangalore - DNA

If the Intermediate Trainer also shapes up then the training-element headache of the IAF would be eased for a long time.

-- The deliveries are supposed to start from 2013
I always found that rather curious. Are these second hand PC-7's or did Pilatus bid new builds for the contract?

If so why? It has just spent a small fortune on developing the PC-21, an advancement on the PC-9. Interesting that India would accept such a relatively older prop trainer?
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011   #52
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
I always found that rather curious. Are these second hand PC-7's or did Pilatus bid new builds for the contract?

If so why? It has just spent a small fortune on developing the PC-21, an advancement on the PC-9. Interesting that India would accept such a relatively older prop trainer?
These would be new builds and it would be the PC-7 Mk II which is a slightly advanced version comparable to the PC-9, except for engine - the PC-7 Mk II operates with the Pratt & Whitney PT6A-25C.

IAF with this purchase is looking for a Basic Trainer and perhaps the PC-21 being marked as an advanced turboprop trainer might have gone against it, either ways basis on the requirement projected by IAF this was the model floated by Pilatus they did not field the PC-21 and perhaps there might be a cost differential which considering the volume of purchase might give some cost savings
Old October 27th, 2011   #53
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

21 more Hawks for IAF's Surya Kiran aerobatics display team

IAF is purchasing 21 more Hawks which would be for the Surya Kiran Acrobatics Team
(SKAT). Interesting days ahead for the Indian aircraft and airshow enthusiasts. Hawks would definitely be faster and generally be more awesome as show stoppers . Probably some training with the Red Arrows and the SnowBirds would be on the cards as well
Old November 13th, 2011   #54
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Apparently India is purchasing another 59 Mi-17V5s, in addition to the 80 ordered earlier, in a deal that's expected to be valued at 1 bil USD. The plan is to sign the contract before the end of this fiscal year (March 2012). The deal is to include weapons for them.

Индия намерена закупить у *Ф еще 59 вертолетов Ми-17 - Times of India | Оборона и безопасность | Лента новостей "*ИА Новости"
В планах Индии дополнительно заказать еще 59 российских вертолетов Ми-17В-5*—*О*УЖИЕ *ОССИИ, Информационное агентство
Lenta.ru: : -17-5

The previous contract envisioned deliveries through 2014, so this will likely extend them to the 2016/17 timeframe. This is a much needed boost for Rosvertol, after losing the tender for attack helos to the Apache, and given their slim chances in the light helo tender, with the Ka-226.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011   #55
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
DRDO's Emb-145 AEWC has taken flight. Should take probably another year and a half of systems integration and testing to enter into service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7046.jpg (370.0 KB, 8 views)
Old December 6th, 2011   #56
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Indian Navy to induct 24 Boeing P-8I maritime patrol aircraft
The Indian Navy will acquire 12 more Boeing P-8I maritime patrol aircraft to boost its eye in the sky over India's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone. This is in addition to the 12 already ordered, a top commander said. Indian Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told India Strategic defence magazine (..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs.) in an interview that the force was satisfied with the progress of the first eight P-8Is being built by Boeing under a 2009 order and that the second order for four more aircraft was being processed. It would be placed within the current fiscal ending March 2012.
Indian Navy to induct 24 Boeing P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

It seems like Indian navy has fallen in love with their latest acquisition and are going to order a dozen more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian_Navy_Boeing_P-8I_maritime_patrol_aircraft.jpg (193.5 KB, 3 views)
Old December 7th, 2011   #57
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
This is interesting because overhauls are continuing on their Tu-142ME fleet, with the completion date for all 8 aircrafts overhauls being 2020... bort 312 was handed over recently. After overhauls, these plans are expected to remain in service for at least some time, despite large scale P-8I purchases.
Old December 7th, 2011   #58
Major
Threads:
Does the Tu-142ME have any offensive capability?
Haavarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011   #59
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
This is interesting because overhauls are continuing on their Tu-142ME fleet, with the completion date for all 8 aircrafts overhauls being 2020... bort 312 was handed over recently. After overhauls, these plans are expected to remain in service for at least some time, despite large scale P-8I purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haavarla View Post
Does the Tu-142ME have any offensive capability?
Both the Tu-142ME and the IL-38SD are being upgraded to enable operation of air launched version of the BrahMos Missile; whereas the Weapons package for the P-8I Neptune is not clear and we havent heard anything about the BrahMos being integrated into it. However looks to me that over a period of time the P-8I would replace both the Bear acquired in 1988 (8 nos) and the May which was acquired between 1977 and 1983 (5 nos).

Apart from the BrahMos integration the Tu-142ME is an ASW asset; weapon capability including ability to carry 12 torpedoes, FAB 250 freefall bombs and depth charges. It as well as the IL-38 SD had earlier been integrated with the Sea Eagle AShM which the BrahMos would replace
Old December 13th, 2011   #60
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Another Su-30MKI has crashed. The reason is given as technical failure.

bmpd - *азбился третий индийский Су-30МКИ

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: