Help identifying an NASA plane from 1966

Trail Rider

Looking for a little help from the brain trust. In this NASA image is the X planes and the lifting bodies, also an F4A, F5D, and the DC3. what is the plane stuck between the F5 and the DC3. All that is viable is the top of the tail fin and the nose. Looks like the canopy is open and is hinged on the side. Any ideas? Thanks

StephenBierce

It's an F-104 Starfighter. Can't see enough to tell if it was one of the NF-104s or just a normal F-104 that was in the chase fleet.

FormerDirtDart

It's an F-104 Starfighter. Can't see enough to tell if it was one of the NF-104s or just a normal F-104 that was in the chase fleet.
I don't see the stabilator (horizontal stabilizer) atop the vertical stabilizer that you would find on a Starfighter.
I was thinking the shape of the tail surface and how low it is sitting to the ground point toward it being a T-38

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'll go witht he F-104, relatively low to the ground, sideward opening canopy and the stabilizer. T-38/F-5 has a clamshell canopy like the majority of fighters.

pkcasimir

Very difficult to see, but could that be an F-107A? NACA (NASA's predecessor) had two prototype F-107's for high altitude testing in the late 1950's. The F-107 lost to the F-105 in a USAF competition.

The more I look at it, the more I believe it's an F-107, a very distinctive aircraft.

Last edited:

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It can't be the F-107, the plane in question has a canopy that opens to the side while the F-107 was a clam shell like the F-4. Also the vertical stab isn't even close to the same shape as the F-107.

Trail Rider

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
104 not sure.

At first I thought it was an 104, but I can't see any indications of the horizontal stabilizer, not even a shadow. It also looks like the canopy is hinged to open to the right instead of the left. Also wouldn't the canopy be all glass that one seems to be solid behind the pilot. Am I just seeing things?

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think owing to the angle the photo was taken the horizontal stab isn't apparent. Also what looks like part of the canopy without glass is actually a maintenance panel. Based on the photos I've found on the web by guess is that panel can't be opened without the canopy being opened first. Also if you choose the "original size" image on the NASA site you can see the radome is removed and actually on a stand. There's a good couple of feet of daylight between it and the fuselage.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Looking for a little help from the brain trust. In this NASA image is the X planes and the lifting bodies, also an F4A, F5D, and the DC3. what is the plane stuck between the F5 and the DC3. All that is viable is the top of the tail fin and the nose. Looks like the canopy is open and is hinged on the side. Any ideas? Thanks
Yep, 104