general F-35 discussion [part deux]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarkozy

can you name another major product (cisco IOS, junOS, windows OS platforms, etc) ... where source code is provided along with the product itself?

i understand the differences in comparison of the products i listed, but why should it be automatically assumed that firmware level/source-code be provided?
this is in general a very good point. however as you mention there are certain differences in the products. one product is supposed to defend your country, and the fact that you do have little freedom over what weapons, upgrades and service you will use on the jet you probably put 120 - 150 mil, for starters, into, kind of put you into a, let's say vasal situation.

that's why i always say, let's wait and see. let's wait a couple of years (10 or more). and let's see what happens. there are many choices out there right now, and in 10 years there will be even more.

. one product is supposed to defend your country, .
so? cisco IOS defends DoD networks ... does DoD have unrestricted access to IOS? does that mean other countries who use cisco products (or other vendor) should demand and receive said source code? i would say network security and intrusion to interior networks are just as much a defense of one's country as a fighter platform...if not more-so.

if the source code were included, the price would skyrocket. the buyer would be paying for much, much more than the platform itself. i think that's quite obvious what is entailed when viewing low-level code/algorithms (EW), and so forth... and while you state the product is meant to defend your country, i think it's clear that by limiting source code publishing is exactly what the US is doing for itself.

, and the fact that you do have little freedom over what weapons, upgrades and service you will use on the jet you probably put 120 - 150 mil, for starters, into, kind of put you into a, let's say vasal situation.
-then they have the capability to deny purchase and choose another product.

Sarkozy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
so? cisco IOS defends DoD networks ... does DoD have unrestricted access to IOS? does that mean other countries who use cisco products (or other vendor) should demand and receive said source code? i would say network security and intrusion to interior networks are just as much a defense of one's country as a fighter platform...if not more-so.

if the source code were included, the price would skyrocket. the buyer would be paying for much, much more than the platform itself. i think that's quite obvious what is entailed when viewing low-level code/algorithms (EW), and so forth... and while you state the product is meant to defend your country, i think it's clear that by limiting source code publishing is exactly what the US is doing for itself.

-then they have the capability to deny purchase and choose another product.
I agree. exactly. we should look for another product, a product where we will be in the position of master, not the position of dog. even if the F-35 ends up being everything LM says it will be, we need the freedom and security to decide for ourselves which companies, (our own), that should be able to upgrade, service and produce weapons for this jet. the most costly fighter-jet we have ever bought. and if they do not open up the F-35 let's use our time, be smart, and in a couple of year, let's go another road.

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thread locked. Other threads already exist on the F-35, some of which have been closed due to an inability amongst some members to abide by the forum rules when posting. The F-35 threads will be reviewed and at some point merged. At present, the opening of new threads on the topic if not allowed to provide a cooling off period for members and to remind everyone to keep their posts within both the letter and spirit of the forum rules.
-Preceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.