The future for USAF fighter pilots

USAFpilotDream

First of all, I really apologize if this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, I'm new to this site and really just looking for someone experienced to help me find the answers that Im looking for.

I am looking to go into Undergraduate Pilot Training sometime within the next year to pursue a dream of mine to be a fighter pilot for the USAF. I have been spending countless hours recently researching as much information as I can about what the future for fighter pilots are in the USAF and what the process is like for anyone dreaming of becoming one. I have read very conflicting information, some saying that fighter pilots will continue to decline in numbers rapidly in the future, some even saying there is eventually no need for pilots in the USAF and that starting a career as a pilot at this time would be unwise, but I've also seen sources saying that there is great need for pilots and that there always will be need for pilots and fighter pilots in the USAF. Could someone with knowledge in this area please contact me and give me the opportunity to ask some of these questions that I am dying to receive answers to. It would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks

barney41

It may be worth your while to pose your inquiry in a forum inhabited by USAF types, both serving and retired. F-16.net comes to mind. The folks there will gladly share their perspectives, Good luck pursuing your dream.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, I really apologize if this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, I'm new to this site and really just looking for someone experienced to help me find the answers that Im looking for.

I am looking to go into Undergraduate Pilot Training sometime within the next year to pursue a dream of mine to be a fighter pilot for the USAF. I have been spending countless hours recently researching as much information as I can about what the future for fighter pilots are in the USAF and what the process is like for anyone dreaming of becoming one. I have read very conflicting information, some saying that fighter pilots will continue to decline in numbers rapidly in the future, some even saying there is eventually no need for pilots in the USAF and that starting a career as a pilot at this time would be unwise, but I've also seen sources saying that there is great need for pilots and that there always will be need for pilots and fighter pilots in the USAF. Could someone with knowledge in this area please contact me and give me the opportunity to ask some of these questions that I am dying to receive answers to. It would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks

I suspect manned fighters have another twenty odd years left in them at least, although the famous quote "the last fighter pilot may have already been born" could be true.

Right now, the demand is there and your employment prospects in the civilian sector will still be good as unmanned passenger jets still appear to be some way off.