Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_14_T-birds_1543-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1441-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1491-1.JPG

Nellis_14_GR4_0963-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Is the F-22 the last fighter jet with a human pilot?

This is a discussion on Is the F-22 the last fighter jet with a human pilot? within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; The PBS documentary Warplane claims that the F-22 may be the last fighter jet with a human pilot. What do ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 12th, 2011   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Is the F-22 the last fighter jet with a human pilot?

The PBS documentary Warplane claims that the F-22 may be the last fighter jet with a human pilot. What do you think?
RisingSun96815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun96815 View Post
The PBS documentary Warplane claims that the F-22 may be the last fighter jet with a human pilot. What do you think?
F-35, T-50, J-20 are all newer than an F-22 but have human pilots. i think PBS has no clue
SASWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASWanabe View Post
F-35, T-50, J-20 are all newer than an F-22 but have human pilots. i think PBS has no clue
what he said

on top of that MAYBE f-15 silent eagle as well if that project gets going

unmanned planes is some 6th generation stuff

we just hit 5th generation and its probably here to stay until 2035
Comrade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #4
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
The other aircraft are more multiroled than the F-22, but yes, last fighter indeed, surely the F-35 has to more recent.

People have tried strapping a2a missiles onto UAV platforms, so far they have come up short. They make better bombers, but then again the germans had that technology since the early 1940's. Yet, we still have manned bombers...
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #5
Brigadier General
Threads:
I remember Boeing's proposal for a 6th gen F/A-18EF replacement was a fighter with a cockpit but with the ability to operate unmanned. So even 6th gen platforms may have pilots, in some situations.
Ozzy Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #6
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
The risk with unmanned technology will always be that it may be able to be hacked, which might be a very expensive risk.
xhxi558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #7
Major General
Threads:
Don't trust everything you hear in military documentaries. (e.g Weaponology: the Barrett AS-50 )
RobWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #8
Super Moderator
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
That isn't a new documetary, it first premired in 2006, and a lot has changed since then.
Old September 12th, 2011   #9
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASWanabe View Post
well i think it is trying to say next genaration check out the f/a xx and the falcun (not the f16 falcun)
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #10
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayOZ View Post
The other aircraft are more multiroled than the F-22, but yes, last fighter indeed, surely the F-35 has to more recent.

People have tried strapping a2a missiles onto UAV platforms, so far they have come up short. They make better bombers, but then again the germans had that technology since the early 1940's. Yet, we still have manned bombers...
pleas look at the preditor c
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011   #11
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
pleas look at the preditor c
I think that the question should be changed from “Is the F-22 the last fighter jet with a human pilot?” to “Is the fifth generation of fighter air-craft the last generation to have onboard human pilots?”

The answer depends upon what kind of new technologies will be the game changers for fight air-craft in the next generation? If those new and as yet not even thought up technologies require the pilot to take more Gs the answer is yes, it will be the last. A nine g air-craft, however you define it, is the maximum a human body can take. We can at this point build aircraft that can exceed what the human body can withstand. But for obvious reasons we don’t. If you can achieve air dominance without taking more Gs the answers to the question is no. Having a pilot in the loop will always be preferable to having to rely on an external communications link or any kind of on board AI that is likely to be ever developed, ever. But performance trumps all in the end. We will just have to wait and see.
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011   #12
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
I think that the question should be changed from “Is the F-22 the last fighter jet with a human pilot?” to “Is the fifth generation of fighter air-craft the last generation to have onboard human pilots?”

The answer depends upon what kind of new technologies will be the game changers for fight air-craft in the next generation? If those new and as yet not even thought up technologies require the pilot to take more Gs the answer is yes, it will be the last. A nine g air-craft, however you define it, is the maximum a human body can take. We can at this point build aircraft that can exceed what the human body can withstand. But for obvious reasons we don’t. If you can achieve air dominance without taking more Gs the answers to the question is no. Having a pilot in the loop will always be preferable to having to rely on an external communications link or any kind of on board AI that is likely to be ever developed, ever. But performance trumps all in the end. We will just have to wait and see.
Again i refer to my post a little earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Blizzard
I remember Boeing's proposal for a 6th gen F/A-18EF replacement was a fighter with a cockpit but with the ability to operate unmanned. So even 6th gen platforms may have pilots, in some situations.
This is why Boeing is thinking along the lines of a platform which can accommodate a pilot if needed; there simply isn't enough confidence in autonomous unmanned systems to go out there alone a make life and death decisions in complex situations (there may never be). This solves both problems.
Ozzy Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011   #13
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
It's noteworthy that several years back LM was talking about an unmanned F-35 variant. A pilot would still fly the plane remotely relying on 360-degree situational awareness provided by data fusion of onboard/offboard-generated data streams.
colay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011   #14
Just a bloke
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I think they are on drugs. As others have said, F-35, SU-35 and PAK-FA are all newer...

Next.
ADMk2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011   #15
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMk2 View Post
I think they are on drugs. As others have said, F-35, SU-35 and PAK-FA are all newer...

Next.

So is the 787 Dreamliner. Frankly, I'd bet on the F-22 winning the dogfight between the two.

Past goofy technicalities, I can say this for certain- when the USA moves to unmanned fighters, it will be the Navy, not the Air Force, leading the way. Old fighter pilots run the air force- they're emotionally attached to manned aircraft. The Navy is run by people in boats (Admiral Mullen went from destroyers, to cruisers, to a group of the two, to a CBG, to the 2nd fleet- no flying). They'll abandon manned aircraft first, and the Luddites in the Air Force will follow suit when they realize they've fallen behind their greatest rivals. It'll be the Norden bomb-sight all over again.
EmperorNortonII is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: