Eurofighter to Saudi Arabia!!

RIYADH, Jan 6 -- Saudi Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Defense and Aviation Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz announced Saturday that his country signed a deal to receive about 72 fighter-jets from the United Kingdom.
Looks like its a done deal, when does delivery starts?

link

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Any chance of providing a link or reference to your source for attribution and verification instead of just a sentence?

Thanks

Magoo
Magoo

I guess radiosilence can speak for himself but I thought the link posted provided reasonable verification. Well at least it identified the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) as the source for the report!

Saudi Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Defense and Aviation Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz announced Saturday that his country signed a deal to receive about 72 fighter-jets from the United Kingdom.
http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=939963

Cheers

PETER671BT

Magoo

I guess radiosilence can speak for himself but I thought the link posted provided reasonable verification. Well at least it identified the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) as the source for the report!

http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=939963

Cheers
yEH I heard on sky news uk the same thing,typhoons 72 planes with 18 two seater versions.I think sudia arabia will be the dominant counrty in the middle east for some years to come,But might be a good thing to settle wars in that region.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Sure its a done deal. 48 Typhoons being produced for the UK will be diverted to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis seem to be in a big hurry.
Great news for BAES and subcontractors.

AFAIK UK can't divert their own orders without approval from the other NETMA partners. Any news on this?

But methinks it would be good idea.

SATAN

Great news for BAES and subcontractors.

AFAIK UK can't divert their own orders without approval from the other NETMA partners. Any news on this?

But methinks it would be good idea.

Yeah they can, remember they diverted the Tornados on order for the Royal Airforce to Saudi Arabia in the 80's.They were way too keen for defense orders of such magnitude! This sale is a big one for the Brits and they certainly do not want to screw it up by annoying the Saudis with their "fraud " investigations and approvals etc..

Scorpion82

It doesn't mean that Britain reduces its own number of aircraft. But to ensure fast deliveries, their own needs will be pushed further.
It is the same in Austria. To ensure deliveries the 4 partner nations provide 6 of their examples, but they will receive them later.

turin

I dont think this will be an issue and since this order is only contributing to actually extending work-load for the assembly-lines, I am sure they will be happy with that.
Now finally the Typhoon has a "real" export customer, after all that (still on-going) trouble with Austria and their political circus.

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is expected that a further batch of 48 aircraft will be ordered in a couple of years. 72 & 48 was the way the Tornados were procured.

Chris

contedicavour

The fact that the UK is diverting several of its Typhoons to Saudi and that so far the 3rd batch hasn't been financed... could that mean the UK has decided not to buy all of its 232 Typhoons after all.

cheers

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
So I guess this means that the UK government caved in and ordered the corruption probe to be dropped?

Scorpion82

ONCE again!
At least the first aircraft for SA will be delivered from RAF production slots. That means i.e. the RAF should have received 10 blk 8 Tranche 2 aircraft in 2008, but these aircraft are delivered to SA to ensure fast deliveries. After the needs of SA are satisfied, additional aircraft will be produced and delivered to the RAF to replace the aircraft which were delivered to SA from the RAF production slot before.

Is it so difficult to understand this?

Note 1: The numbers used in the post are not based on facts, they are only examples to underline the explaination.

Note 2: There're different possibilities for deliveries to SA, but it has ever been said that the RAF will receive its 232 Typhoons. Until now NO decision has been made to reduce this number!

Grand Danois

Entertainer
ONCE again!
At least the first aircraft for SA will be delivered from RAF production slots. That means i.e. the RAF should have received 10 blk 8 Tranche 2 aircraft in 2008, but these aircraft are delivered to SA to ensure fast deliveries. After the needs of SA are satisfied, additional aircraft will be produced and delivered to the RAF to replace the aircraft which were delivered to SA from the RAF production slot before.

Is it so difficult to understand this?

Note 1: The numbers used in the post are not based on facts, they are only examples to underline the explaination.

Note 2: There're different possibilities for deliveries to SA, but it has ever been said that the RAF will receive its 232 Typhoons. Until now NO decision has been made to reduce this number!
That is what I mean. UK can't reduce their own procurement without the other nations accepting it. So far, all 72 will have to be addtional fighters. They can of course, take push the delivery of their own fighters into the future.

Musashi_kenshin

The fact that the UK is diverting several of its Typhoons to Saudi and that so far the 3rd batch hasn't been financed... could that mean the UK has decided not to buy all of its 232 Typhoons after all.
I really hope the number is reduced - it was far too large, given the RAF's current structure. What's the point in having all those spares sitting around collecting dust?

Musashi_kenshin

If they were allowed to reduce their Tranche 2 buy with 16-24 fighters, it would be right on the mark IMV.
Well I doubt the UK would be allowed to, given none of the major partners want to reduce their orders too. Though the MoD gets a small cut of the sale money for being the "middleman" - a few percent, or something.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Well I doubt the UK would be allowed to, given none of the major partners want to reduce their orders too. Though the MoD gets a small cut of the sale money for being the "middleman" - a few percent, or something.
And Samlesbury get to do the assembly. And having ordered 232 fighters, UK also get the biggest share of the subcontracting...

Musashi_kenshin

And Samlesbury get to do the assembly. And having ordered 232 fighters, UK also get the biggest share of the subcontracting...
True, but it still would be better if the MoD could save money by ordering less fighters. I still don't understand why Hoon even thought we would have a use for that number, bloody idiot.....

:nutkick

I mean, fuck-a-duck, even getting rid of part of one Tranche would pay for most of/all of the CVF project!

Grand Danois

Entertainer
True, but it still would be better if the MoD could save money by ordering less fighters. I still don't understand why Hoon even thought we would have a use for that number, bloody idiot.....

:nutkick
If he wanted to have the biggest workshare, he had to order the biggest number of fighters. And if you expect to reexport some them, well then it is not that stupid, is it - as you get to build the diverted (reduced) and the exports - and have the biggest workshare...

Again, 16-24 of the T2 originally envisaged for the RAF should go to SA.

What's it, 1-1½ billion £ saved for destroyers and CVF? I'm an eternal optimist... :D