ERIEYE for PAF??

amit21mech

Is Pak going for ERIEYE - Airborne Early Warning & Control System (AEW&C), to counter our Phalcon?
Its got to do with some microwaves it seems.

A

Aussie Digger

Maybe, who knows? Erieye is a very capable system from all reports and would provide an effective capability for the PAF. In addition if Sweden were willing to sell this system to Pakistan they may be willing to sell Gripen as well. The combination of Gripen and Erieye plus the networked capability both platforms have would provide a very effective capability for the PAF. Sweden is recognised as having one of the most advanced C4I capability and one of the few "true" network centric warfare capabilities at present, precisely because of the integration of these 2 systems. The technology involved would benefit Pakistan greatly as well. Cheers.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Yup we're getting Erieyes, and a newer model at that.According to what I've heard PAK&Saudia are going for the same Erieye model, which purportedly gives performance equal to or better than the E-3C.
Oh and AD bout the datalinking and netcentric issues, all new PAF fighters will come equipped with multi-channel datalinks.I had a chat with a person who knows about these issues, and from what I gleaned from that discussion,I can say that the new fighters coming into service will be able to do the same for the PAF with the Erieye what the Grippen does for Sweden.Also the new navy frigates are gonna come equipped with multi-channel datalinks(the F-22P), and there is word about the navy retrofitting some of the older ones with datalinks

A

Aussie Digger

Cool, did you find out what platforms they will mounted on? I reckon the Embraer 145 would be a good choice...

umair

Peace Enforcer
Nah! but I guess most likely the A-310.The E-145 does not provide much room for operators,and the data has to be downlinked to GCI stations.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's a nice piece of kit, it will be a quantum leap in capability. Especially if you datalink your naval assets as well.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
I dont really think the ERIEYE is a good suit for an airforce like pakistans. Its a swedish system and would be rejected for the same reasons the Gripen was rejected, that is too many american components. I agree with Aussie that if a country is selling us an AWACS it would sell us fighters too so y not the AN-71 and the Su-27 from the ukrainians? Evn if they dont sell us the fighters the chinese will.
(BUt it would be gr8 to have the ERIEYE and gripen if we can get the political bug fixed out)

joker

Umair I also read that the PAF and RSAF had a joint interest in about 20 ERIEYE systems. Not too sure on the numbers through as the PAF and PN have a joint requirement for about 6 AEW&Cs.

But is the ERIEYE going to replace the E3Cs currently in RSAF service or are they going to supplement them?? I always was under the impression that the E3s were way more advanced than the Erieye's?

When you talk about new fighters for the PAF are you talking about the JF17s?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
joker said:
I always was under the impression that the E3s were way more advanced than the Erieye's?
Joker, Yes they are, but thats because the E3's also fulfill other integrated roles. It's not really a direct comparison for capability purposes.

as for your other question on technology, PM me.

Wajahat

Umair I started a thread by the name :AEW&C system for PAF
and you locked it promptly advising me to go and read some other links.
May I ask how come thish thread has been allowed to continue and is not locked when the topic under discussion is exacxtly the same.
btw Pakistan IS going to buy Erieye and the platform isE 145 not A 310 as you are trying to guess.

adsH

Guys no sources but i did tell people in other threads that the PAF are definetly going to mount the Erieys systems on the Airbusse they bought 6 airbuses in exact just after they bought those 8 boeing 777 last year some one check that report plz!! i can't find it , the suspicious thing was that there was no mention of PIA in the purchase so i guessed it was for PAF AWAC AND refuler requirement i thought the saudis would wan't to buy the same stuff as the pakistanis the PAF pilots fly there sorties. and i did say that i can bet on anything that the pakistanis are going for EF2000 as the "silver bullet" the saudi are goign to buy either the Rafaiel lol spelling" or the EF2000 but i think it would be EF2000 as the EF2000 is BAE system and BAE systems is partly saudi owned if u don't belive me check it out. it is logical to buy similar superior equipment so the lgoistical cost and the cost to maintain is cheap saudis buy the whole package when they buy an aircraft includeing repair and spare part facility. one reason fo chooseing the eyries might be becasu ethe networking between pakistani PAF and RSAF saudi would be possible. and saab have there entire marketing done byt BAE system its like the whole puzzel is falling in place now it make alot more sense. comments are welcome lol
note if saudis buy six more AWACS they should have a total of 12 very good awacs 6 centries and 6 eyries AWACS and then PAF if they get 6 (too much any ways )i guess saab hit the jack pot 12 awacs in one order no wonder they are selling that to the pakistanis PAF

adsH

true if they get one type of system there repair and after care service lol can be shared and u know the saudis they can pay for most of that lol hypathetical lol and very far fetched lol

Rev said "Any idea of the cost of the system?"

i say who cares about the cost if the saudis are in it they need the PAF to fly there hardware i am sure they can fund some of these these purchases.

gf said " Joker, Yes they are, but thats because the E3's also fulfill other integrated roles. It's not really a direct comparison for capability pruposes."

I reckon they would be better than teh RASF E3c (still dos not mean they would scrap there exsiting fleet of E3C) i mean they are going for a total redesign, 12 AWACS if the report is true that umair has presented this is no ordinary purchase some its big big big type of purchase. i am sure they would get there moneys worths out of it.

I am sure the E3C are old and there was an embargo placed on the saudis at one time this made them change there supliers from the US to UK BAE system.

joker

adHs the Saudi govt. has no stake in BAe Systems. A Saudi business man by the name of Prince Talal bin Waleed owns a stake in Dassault. Furthermore the Airbuses you mentioned were acquired by PIA NOT PAF. There are numerous reports out there which clearly state that PIA has acquired 6 ex Air Jamaica A-310-300. Why they bought second hand A310s when they already are operating a fleet of A310s is probably down to the issue of kickbacks.

I am not doubting the claim of a future AEW&Cs platform to be of the Airbus family but they certainly are not the ones recently acquired by PIA.

It could be that the PAF is looking at acquiring and refurbishing the current fleet of soon to be ex PIA A310-300 models that are due to be phased out of PIA service. Just like they did with acquiring the Boeings for Shaheen Air. However, it must be noted that the Airbus models in PIA service are quite old and issues of easing costs and logistics for PIA and PAF A310 models would not come in because the ex Jamaica models are equipped with the P&W engines whereas the current PIA fleet is equipped with GE engines. So attempting

joker

AdhS I can guarantee you that NO PAF official will be operating any RSAF asset. Has never happened before and never will happen. They most probably will decide to share their training regimes and on the issue of logistics and maintenance yes they most probably will establish a joint logistical and maintenance pool. Although mind you both Boeing and BAe systems already have a huge infrastructure established in KSA. BAe Systems or Boeing may want a share of the maintenance pie so to speak depending upon which platform is eventually chosen.

On the issue of costs there is no way the KSA is going to foot the bill. They may have been willing to fund the major share of the porject during the oil boom yrs but things have changed a lot since then. I suspect the PAK MOD is going in on a 50:50 partnership with their Saudi counterparts.

Roger Smith

joker said:
PIA has acquired 6 ex Air Jamaica A-310-300. Why they bought second hand A310s when they already are operating a fleet of A310s is probably down to the issue of kickbacks.

I read on the aforementioned sometime back, I assume the deal has been scraped due to lease, cost or price factor. :?

adsH

joker said:
AdhS I can guarantee you that NO PAF official will be operating any RSAF asset. Has never happened before and never will happen. They most probably will decide to share their training regimes and on the issue of logistics and maintenance yes they most probably will establish a joint logistical and maintenance pool. Although mind you both Boeing and BAe systems already have a huge infrastructure established in KSA. BAe Systems or Boeing may want a share of the maintenance pie so to speak depending upon which platform is eventually chosen.

On the issue of costs there is no way the KSA is going to foot the bill. They may have been willing to fund the major share of the porject during the oil boom yrs but things have changed a lot since then. I suspect the PAK MOD is going in on a 50:50 partnership with their Saudi counterparts.

"NO PAF official will be operating any RSAF asset. Has never happened before and never will happen"

First of all are you sure about this statement the reason why i said PAF would or has been operateing in Saudi because i have seen PAF trained, pakistani pilots there in saudi when i was living there i am not sure what they do there but they have Three year contract rotations. i am sure they fly there. becasue they were active pilots.

"Airbuses you mentioned were acquired by PIA NOT PAF"

there were six purchase not leases that i was talking about and it was anounced just after the conterversial 8 boeing 777 deal. my word here isn't even worth a penny here becasue i can't find that article again. i would say PIA is still an orginization of Government its Purchasesing evaluation commitee is an example of the relation with the PAF.

"Saudi govt. has no stake in BAe Systems. A Saudi business man by the name of Prince Talal bin Waleed"

i thought they did but i could find no evidence so youre rite on that and u might be rite on other stuff too sorry about that i was wrong!!but it still dos not count out the fact that saudis are the biggest customer of BAE and the fact that BAE is well established there in kingdom.

"On the issue of costs there is no way the KSA is going to foot the bill."

With the USAF's UnTimely Exit the RSAF's Ability to fly sorties have been dramitically been reduced i personally know wht the saudis are capable of doing
according an USAF pilots remarks they could hardly fly one or two sorti a day.
they can fly if they need to but they desperately need more time andtraining they will be able to fly all there hardware but not at this time. RASF is well funded i hardly think they would ask a poor brotherly nation (that is willling to supply them soldiers for there defence) for a 50:50 partnership. :roll

adsH

Roger Smith said:
joker said:
PIA has acquired 6 ex Air Jamaica A-310-300. Why they bought second hand A310s when they already are operating a fleet of A310s is probably down to the issue of kickbacks.

I read on the aforementioned sometime back, I assume the deal has been scraped due to lease, cost or price factor. :?

Sounds more like the corruption charges caught up with them they had an inquiry going on after this news became available on the public domain.
:cop :eek

joker

adSh I am 100% positive that there are no serving PAF pilots on deputation with the RSAF. The Saudi's like most other AF have a thing about letting foreigners near there birds. There are PAF personnel serving in the RSAF but they are limited to flight surgeons and not pilots. With the recent accord having been finalised between the Saudis and Pakistanis we can soon expect to see PAF aviation engineers and technicians in the country. I dont know how many and I doubt that these personnel will be allowed to maintain the F15s and Tornados (not like they're qualified to do so in the first place).

The average Saudi pilot may not be the best in the world but stuff like they cant even fly their own planes right is absolute rubbish. The Saudis have invested a hell of a lot of money in acquiring sizeable F15 and Tornado fleets and it only makes sense to invest a proportionately higher amount in the training regime for their pilots. Which partially explains the huge presence of Boeing and Bae Systems in the country. To not invest in your pilots what you end up with is a multi million $ paper weight which Im pretty sure was never the intention of Prince Sultan.

there were six purchase not leases that i was talking about and it was anounced just after the conterversial 8 boeing 777 deal.
I never mentioned anything about leases.

RASF is well funded i hardly think they would ask a poor brotherly nation (that is willling to supply them soldiers for there defence) for a 50:50 partnership.
Yes the RSAF is well funded but this funding is for the RSAF NOT the PAF. I dont know where people come up with stuff like the Saudis are going to buy this and that and then just hand it over to Pakistan. Come on get real theres no such thing as a free lunch. Saudi Arabia is several hundreds of billions of dollars in debt as a result of the GW in 91 and fluctuating oil prices. Im sure the saudis would want to pay off their huge debt, restructure their oil dependent economy, reverse the mounting socio economic problems as a result of macro economic disequilibrium, a growing population consuming an ever dwindling resource base etc. and then maybe just maybe they'll think about footing the bill for a multi billion $ defence acquisition.