Drone air to air combat

Kampgruppe1970

when do you think air to air combat will be conducted by drone aircraft instead of manned aircraft, I think the yanks will be the first to have this capability if they don't already have it (early stages) , the direction drone technology is going I could see the first true air to air combat by drone aircraft by 2025 for me this will be the first stage towards drone aircraft being the dominant superiority fighter (sixth generation) cost will be a key factor

My2Cents

when do you think air to air combat will be conducted by drone aircraft instead of manned aircraft, I think the yanks will be the first to have this capability if they don't already have it (early stages) , the direction drone technology is going I could see the first true air to air combat by drone aircraft by 2025 for me this will be the first stage towards drone aircraft being the dominant superiority fighter (sixth generation) cost will be a key factor
The problem for any drone is whose hand is on the trigger, human or the machine.

A human shoots a civilian by mistake, its the individual.

But when a machine shoots a civilian by mistake, its all of them. So you have to ground the fleet until it is fixed. Finding and correcting the bug is probably relatively easy, but the testing process to find and fix any new problems the change creates before you can install it in the fleet is long and complex -- weeks, possibly months, maybe even years if enough other problems show up. Just look at the software problems with the F-35 or Microsoft Windows.

If a human still makes the decision you need secure, jam proof, communications. That’s a big gamble, especially if the other side can kill your communications satellites. You are also running up against bandwidth problems that limit how many drones can be in a given area, depending on how much data you have to pass to the human decision maker.

My guess, when drone fighters are deployed you are going to 2 or 3 drones working with a 2 seat fighter serving as a local control aircraft.

PCShogun

My guess, when drone fighters are deployed you are going to 2 or 3 dr]ones working with a 2 seat fighter serving as a local control aircraft.
I would disagree. With long rang cameras, radar, IFF, and other sensors; why would a human need to be in the area so long as they are in the loop? The purpose of a drone fighter would be to remove the human life risk potential from an engagement. In a fight involving multiple drones, the human will simply hit an 'engage' command and the drone goes weapons free. A human could not authorize each and every target in that situation and so, why even put them in harms way?

Last edited by a moderator:

My2Cents

My guess, when drone fighters are deployed you are going to 2 or 3 drones working with a 2 seat fighter serving as a local control aircraft.
I would disagree. With long rang cameras, radar, IFF, and other sensors; why would a human need to be in the area so long as they are in the loop? The purpose of a drone fighter would be to remove the human life risk potential from an engagement. In a fight involving multiple drones, the human will simply hit an 'engage' command and the drone goes weapons free. A human could not authorize each and every target in that situation and so, why even put them in harms way?
Because:
  1. You have to pass all that information back to the human through an increasingly crowded bandwidth, which limits the number of drones you can have in a given area. That bandwidth will also be in demand for other uses, like TV, WiFi, radar, UGVs, C3, etc. The bottleneck is in the transmissions from the drone to the operator, the link from the operator to the drone is minor by comparison. Having the operator in direct communications with the drones instead of going through relays reduces the problem significantly.
  2. Short of a WWIII scenario the human operator will be required to identify, confirm, and authorize engagement for every target. The public will not stand for anything less. One Iran Air Flight 655 by a drone and the international community will demand that they all be withdrawn from service until the bug that permitted the accident to happen is identified and eliminated. It’s cheaper to blame it on ‘human error’

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Air to air capability is likely a long way off for UAVs. When discussing this topic the distinction between UAVs and drones is important, the former will be under human control and the latter will also be able to operate on its own with artificial intelligence control software. The communication issues for operating UAVs for ISR and limited strike operations in minimally contested airspace is one thing but how about against an enemy with a capable IADS? Add in the complexity of air to air capability and the UAVS comm situation doesn't look so good. As others have already commented, developing this software is a real bear as the F-35 has shown us.

The drone software is even more of a challenge and pulling the human out of the kill chain to solve the comm issue vulnerability will be a legal and moral headache. Manned fighters will be included in any new batch of 6th Gen fighters along with UAV versions.

interestingly i just stumbled on this.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1jSZuWdZQ"]Ðфганцы камнÑми Ñбили американÑкий беÑпилотник - приÑтное зрелище! - YouTube[/nomedia]

looks like a valentines day crash...in afghanistan.. now i would say it was a controlled landing that caused the drone to be nearly intact.

if say it was armed with a couple of hellfires would those have detonated on impact?

blackknight

John Fedup said:
The drone software is even more of a challenge and pulling the human out of the kill chain to solve the comm issue vulnerability will be a legal and moral headache. Manned fighters will be included in any new batch of 6th Gen fighters along with UAV versions.
I am in full agreement with your point of view!

Last edited by a moderator:

streetwarfare88

quick question about something I read in a Dale Browm book

Air to air capability is likely a long way off for UAVs. When discussing this topic the distinction between UAVs and drones is important, the former will be under human control and the latter will also be able to operate on its own with artificial intelligence control software. The communication issues for operating UAVs for ISR and limited strike operations in minimally contested airspace is one thing but how about against an enemy with a capable IADS? Add in the complexity of air to air capability and the UAVS comm situation doesn't look so good. As others have already commented, developing this software is a real bear as the F-35 has shown us.

Could it be possible to run operations using a converted B1-B, B-2, or B-52' s with possible ecm or outer shell similar to stealth aircraft (I know the B-2 is stealth) as a flying carrier/mothership/coc for recon and/or armed strike drones? I know parasite aircraft were tested and failed in the '50s but UAVs could possibly fair better in the deploying and recovering stage of UAV ops, once aboard they could be "debriefed" or rearmed without having to fly back to an airbase. If I posted this wrong I'm sorry its my first time doing this.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The army is intent on putting UAV's alongside their AH-64's shortly - basically, I'm assuming their want to put some of their shooters forward and transfer some of the return fire to the unmanned systems. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same happening for F35 - think of a networked loose formation with the UAV's acting as both nodes in the network and as extended relays for data links.
UAV's roaming around making look/shoot/kill cycles on their own? Nah..but UAV's as off board missile and sensor platforms on short leashes? Yeah...definitely.

streetwarfare88

The army is intent on putting UAV's alongside their AH-64's shortly - basically, I'm assuming their want to put some of their shooters forward and transfer some of the return fire to the unmanned systems. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same happening for F35 - think of a networked loose formation with the UAV's acting as both nodes in the network and as extended relays for data links.
UAV's roaming around making look/shoot/kill cycles on their own? Nah..but UAV's as off board missile and sensor platforms on short leashes? Yeah...definitely.
Well yeah I've worked with UAV's and I wouldn't trust them unless there was someone in control 100%, I read about this idea in some of Dale Browns books. The basic idea I was getting at was his fictitious aircraft the EB-1C Vampire and Vampire 2 which use the FlightHawk(similar to the boeing X-45 UCAV and StealthHawk(basically the same but armed with hellfire AG missiles) drones, I think you guys would like the idea. These and the advanced drones and systems coming out now really can be amazing force multipliers

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
but UAV's as off board missile and sensor platforms on short leashes? Yeah...definitely.
all the dev docs I've seen re hive management by either ground, small shooter or something like an awacs/compass nn etc has been about triaged control

nothing autonomous - thats a fair journey away yet

eg its taken 8 years to get to UAS airborne refueling.

streetwarfare88

all the dev docs I've seen re hive management by either ground, small shooter or something like an awacs/compass nn etc has been about triaged control

nothing autonomous - thats a fair journey away yet

eg its taken 8 years to get to UAS airborne refueling.
Its not autonomous, from the book I'd imagine in real life the cockpit of these strategic bombers turned arial battleships would be redesigned allowing 1 or more personal than usual. 1 station for the UCAV controller to monitor/pilot/complete its mission to and from the plane and take manual flight control if weapon systems needed to be used, another station in charge of docking, refueling, rearming, preflighting "turn-around". The documentary I saw on the early jet age parasite aircraft with the little jet that dropped from a B-29's bomb bay flew around then attempted to dock again we were obviously just not technologically sophisticated enough at that time, but now I'm sure you could have a crewman who could coordinate the mission and liason to ground troops like a FAC then retrieve the UCAV like using a refueling boom/mechanical arm hooking in with a much firmer lock and pulling it up in to the planes UCAV bay. There's a lot of possibilities from time on station, enemy GCI interference/enemy ground forces engagement or comm disruption and surveillance lots of possibilities because the human lives are miles away but don't need to fly 15 hours back because of fuel or mechanical issues.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
none of the current doco looks at parasites and post mission recovery

current vignettes are about the hive of UAS being managed by ground or triaged and managed in the air

streetwarfare88

none of the current doco looks at parasites and post mission recovery

current vignettes are about the hive of UAS being managed by ground or triaged and managed in the air
I know that and I understand why an integrated battlefield between grunts like me calling in air and being able to give them the best possible understanding of the battlefield is paramount, it was just a cool idea I found in a book that used high tech coupled with older but still lethal aircraft. Not sure why but I'm a big fan ofcold war era aircraft like your old hawker hunters, A-4 and A-1's, F-8 crusaders and Israeli Nesher's all the way up to modern A-10A's and F/A-18's which have gotten me out of harms way a few times. Now a serious question in regards to UCAV capabilities, would it be possible to not only jam a radar but radiate back to that reciever a different image like send a signal to them that shows their screen a different aircraft or object? Or could they take over the "Wild Weasel" roll taking down SAMS?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Now a serious question in regards to UCAV capabilities, would it be possible to not only jam a radar but radiate back to that reciever a different image like send a signal to them that shows their screen a different aircraft or object? Or could they take over the "Wild Weasel" roll taking down SAMS?
are you asking about UAS ability to do the role or about general capability?

streetwarfare88

are you asking about UAS ability to do the role or about general capability?
When it comes to suppression of enemy air defense for SAMS yes, I'm sure they could smoke a zsu-23 type AAA emplacement. But do you think this next generation they're coming out with could take over that responsibility allowing our fighter bombers to focus on say coc bunkers, runways, critical infrastructure etc. And thebother question I had might sound ignorant but I've never used radar to track targets so I only know the basics of jamming a frequency, I was wondering if you could electronically give them different looking returns by broadcasting radar signals in a certain way

streetwarfare88

When it comes to suppression of enemy air defense for SAMS yes, I'm sure they could smoke a zsu-23 type AAA emplacement. But do you think this next generation they're coming out with could take over that responsibility allowing our fighter bombers to focus on say coc bunkers, runways, critical infrastructure etc. And thebother question I had might sound ignorant but I've never used radar to track targets so I only know the basics of jamming a frequency, I was wondering if you could electronically give them different looking returns by broadcasting radar signals in a certain way
Like having a UCAV emmiting a "counterfeit" return of a helo or an other slow moving aircraft to draw attention away from a strike package

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Like having a UCAV emmiting a "counterfeit" return of a helo or an other slow moving aircraft to draw attention away from a strike package
they've used UAS for spoofing returns in the past...but not autonomous. ie no AI on the UAS, its just tasked to do that job

streetwarfare88

they've used UAS for spoofing returns in the past...but not autonomous. ie no AI on the UAS, its just tasked to do that job
Again I apologize if my question are a little on the elementary side like I said I was artillery and infantry so my experience with aircraft has only been shooting SEAD missions with the howitzers or calling in airstrikes, I do appreciate you answering my questions. On your topic about drone air to air combat are you talking about a ground operator controlling a UCAV in a traditional interceptor vs bomber from an airbase or carrier or along the lines of flying "top cover" for attack planes? I definitely don't want any part of combat to be without a person under control of the final decisions

My2Cents

Well yeah I've worked with UAV's and I wouldn't trust them unless there was someone in control 100%, I read about this idea in some of Dale Browns books. The basic idea I was getting at was his fictitious aircraft the EB-1C Vampire and Vampire 2 which use the FlightHawk(similar to the boeing X-45 UCAV and StealthHawk(basically the same but armed with hellfire AG missiles) drones, I think you guys would like the idea. These and the advanced drones and systems coming out now really can be amazing force multipliers
Dale Brown assumes no communications issues and obvious military targets segregated from civilian areas. Not terrible realistic in most modern situations.