Denmark to decide in 2006 on fighters to replace aging F-16s

mysterious

Denmark to decide in 2006 on fighters to replace aging F-16s

COPENHAGEN (AFP) Jun 20, 2005

Denmark is planning to replace its aging F-16 jet fighters and will choose next year between the US Joint Strike Fighter and other rivals such as the Eurofighter, Defense Minister Soeren Gade said on Monday.

"We want the (Danish) parties which signed the 'defense compromise' to decide on this issue in order to quickly take advantage of the consequences for our own arms industry and for the manufacturers who should not be kept waiting too long," he told AFP.

The renewal of the air force is one of the Danish military's largest ever investments, estimated at some 13 billion kroner (1.75 billion euros, 2.13 billion dollars) for 48 aircraft.

Denmark took part in the first phase of development of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), contributing 10 million dollars to the program since 1997.

Since 2002 it has taken part in the second, 10-year phase, budgeted at 105 million dollars (107 million euros) at 2001 price levels and 125 million dollars (127 million euros) at current price levels.

Gade said he expected to sign a memorandum of understanding with Washington by the end of 2006 on the further development of the project, though he stressed that that in no way commits Denmark to buying the JSF.

Australia, Britain, Canada, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and Turkey are all part of the JSF project, whose main manufacturer is US group Lockheed Martin.

Former Danish defense minister Svend Aage Jensby previously called the JSF "one of the most technologically advanced projects in the world", and the fighter is believed to be the Danish military's first choice, according to Conservative daily Berlingske Tidende on Monday.

The paper said it was preferred over the Eurofighter because it was a more recent and advanced generation of aircraft, according to air force technicians.
"For the time-being, everything seems to indicate that the JSF is the favourite, according to documents from defense experts. But we haven't yet made our choice, and it would be good for the other competitors to let us know what compensation and sub-contracting deals they would be willing to offer our industries," Peter Skaarup, spokesman for the government ally and far-right Danish People's Party, told AFP.

http://www.spacewar.com/2005/050620122706.q3wa1yqw.html

Opened up this thread for the benefit of people wishing to discuss the reasons behind Denmark's decision to replace its F-16 jets. I would say its just how they view their force structure and want to breathe a new life in to it by opting for the JSF cuz I think they have pretty old F-16s on hand. As the article mentions, their airforce was in a neglected state for a while and its about time things are being revamped.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Why dont the get them MUL'ed this will save their money and after 2010 they can go for a better fighter no one know how much capibilities would the future AC's have and which country will offer what and on the other hand i see that they want to get the JSF or the EF then this is a good decision these fighters can last till 2050 may be after then that their spares will also available at that time caz the main operators will be using that thing too

mysterious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They want the JSF because they have a stake in it (take a look at the investments they've made). Its better just to go ahead directly for that than tie up finances and time in MLU's and stuff. If they're passing on their F-16s to some other country, well that country can get the MLU if it wants to and so the Danes dont need worry about it. Atleast, thats the way I see it.

mysterious

Denmark to decide by 2007 on replacing F-16s with Lockheed Martin fighter jets
By AFP / AFX
Jun 21, 2005, 09:15

COPENHAGEN: Denmark will decide next year or at the start of 2007 whether to buy the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), produced by Lockheed Martin Corp, to replace the F-16s that will be retired from service in 2015, daily Berlingske Tidende said, citing defence minister Soeren Gade.

Only the selection of manufacturer and aircraft type will be taken then.

The number of aircraft and the size of the purchase would depend on the next agreement on defence among the country's political parties.

It is expected that there will 48 F-16s in operation in 2009. Replacing them with 48 JSFs would cost about 13 bln dkr.

Gade said the decision would be brought forward to help Denmark's aerospace industry, without disclosing when it had previously expected to make the decision.

'This is quite simply out of deference to our own industries, but also to the industries or aircraft manufacturers that are not selected,' Gade said.

He expects to sign a memorandum of understanding at the end of 2006 with the US government, covering the further development of JSF.

However, that will not cost Denmark more than the 125 mln usd that the Danish state and aerospace industry have already invested in the development of the fighter aircraft.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/printer_2577.shtml

This is what our DT had to report on this issue. :coffee

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
Denmark to decide in 2006 on fighters to replace aging F-16s ................

Opened up this thread for the benefit of people wishing to discuss the reasons behind Denmark's decision to replace its F-16 jets. I would say its just how they view their force structure and want to breathe a new life in to it by opting for the JSF cuz I think they have pretty old F-16s on hand. As the article mentions, their airforce was in a neglected state for a while and its about time things are being revamped.
The interesting catch to this is that Denmark has disbanded her submarine fleet - that means more money available for the purchase of new equipment. So it's not as if they will be "cash restricted".

mysterious

Why was their submarine fleet disbanded? Are they now just relying on surface fleet? My post was pointing out that 'maybe' they were cash restricted before but not now keeping this decision in lime-light. So, is Denmark expecting JSF's pretty soon (right after USAF) that it is so keen on phasing out F-16s as early as 2006/2007; in my viewpoint, I dont think they'll get the JSF that soon, so wouldn't there emerge a vaccuum in its airforce strength?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
Why was their submarine fleet disbanded? Are they now just relying on surface fleet?
they feel its surplus to their threat response requirements

mysterious said:
I dont think they'll get the JSF that soon, so wouldn't there emerge a vaccuum in its airforce strength?
Not necessarily, It depends on how many hours they have on those frames, the quality of their maintenance and whether they can backfill F-16's via NATO if it becomes urgent. (Open Sky issue)