China in Talks with Russia on IL-76 Purchase Deal

P.A.F

http://www.sinodefence.com/news/2005/news05-08-28.asp

RIA, Novosti reported on 25 August that China and Russia are in talks on a possible deal to sell as many as 30 IL-76 Candid transport planes and an unknown number of IL-78 Midas tanker to the People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF).

According to the report, a source in the Russian defence industry said: "The Russian-Chinese commission for military and technical cooperation will discuss China's purchase of some 30 IL-76 planes from Russia and the possibility of buying IL-78 planes at a September session."

The source confirmed that prices would be set at the session and then a contract signed. The source also suggested that these aircraft were involved in the Peace Mission 2005 Russian-Chinese military exercises, and China was very interested in acquiring them.

Looks like china has shown some interest in russian hardware. maybe more is to come. well its sure paid off for russia.

anyway looks like those old H-6 tankers china has are going to be replaced very soon and maybe some of those transport aircraft would become AWAC platforms.

Elite Brain

What the Chinese need to do is develop or co-produce a Heavy lift aircraft like the Airbus 400M or a C-17. The IL-76 has been around for quite some time now.

aaaditya

i thought they were already building a regional jet known as the asian express with taiwan ,japan and singapore(airbus is the technical consultant) last heard there were some disputes between china and japan over the distribution of work ,dont know the curent staus of work.this aircraft is capable of carrying 80-120 passengers and is likely to be powered with br715 or the cfm56-tech56 engines and is to be a twin engined aircraft iam sure a tanker/transport variant of this aircraft can be developed.:coffee

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
China to buy 38 Russian Military planes in 1.5 bln usd deal - report
AFP / AFX
Thu, 8 Sep 2005, 09:30

MOSCOW: China's military will sign a contract for the purchase of 38 Russian military transport aircraft in a deal valued at over 1.5 bln usd, the business daily Vedomosti reported, quoting sources close to the negotiations.

The contract for Ilyushin-76 transport and Ilyushin-78 tanker planes was to be signed in Russia's Black Sea coastal city of Sochi.

The two countries had already initialed agreements for China to buy Russian military planes.

Confirmation of the deal came a day after Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov and his Chinese counterpart, Cao Gangchuan, had met President Vladimir Putin in Sochi to discuss military cooperation.

Putin was quoted after the meeting by ITAR-TASS news agency as saying that 'today the Russian-Chinese relationship has achieved the highest level in the history of the countries' cooperation.'

Last month, Russia and China held their first large-scale joint military exercises, drills that were watched warily by the US and Taiwan in particular. Both Moscow and Beijing said the exercises were not intended to send a message to any particular country.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003328.php

China is making advancements in all fields of defence here the tankers and the AWACS platforms

turin

@Elite-Brain:

The A400M is more of a medium lift aircraft and nowhere near the C-17. So the Il-76 would still be the better choice although obviously its a rather dated AC. I recall reading about talks between Russia and China over purchase and/or licensed production of An-124 AC which would be the better choice (although they require pretty long runways AFAIK).

@aaaditya:

There really is some fundamental difference between an airliner and a military heavy lift aircraft. You cant just convert the former to the latter. They may be good for transporting troops and maybe light equipment, but are of no use as transport AC for heavy stuff like vehicles etc. Also you need a ramp for loading, unloading and paratroopers and that isnt something you can do by simply modifying the airliner.

aaaditya

turin said:
@Elite-Brain:

The A400M is more of a medium lift aircraft and nowhere near the C-17. So the Il-76 would still be the better choice although obviously its a rather dated AC. I recall reading about talks between Russia and China over purchase and/or licensed production of An-124 AC which would be the better choice (although they require pretty long runways AFAIK).

@aaaditya:

There really is some fundamental difference between an airliner and a military heavy lift aircraft. You cant just convert the former to the latter. They may be good for transporting troops and maybe light equipment, but are of no use as transport AC for heavy stuff like vehicles etc. Also you need a ramp for loading, unloading and paratroopers and that isnt something you can do by simply modifying the airliner.
well they may not be exactly best choices for transports,but for other roles civilian transport planes are being used,for tanker,bomber and awacs roles b767,b707,a320 b737 etc.
the b747 i believe was initially developed as a millitary transporter was rejected and became famous as a civilian transporter,a variant of it ,i believe is the c-5 galaxy.:coffee

turin

@aaaditya:

Concerning the B747:
Its correct that Boeing initially conceived an aircraft to compete in the request for a heavy lift AC for the USAF in the 60s. This contract was won by Lockheed with their C-5-proposal (which on a side note is in no way related to the B747). After this loss Boeing used some of the knowledge for their transport AC in R&D for the 747. However still the B747 is quite a different AC.

See airliners.net and globalsecurity.org for respective information (somehow I cant past text in this forum using Firefox :confused: ).

aaaditya

turin said:
@aaaditya:

Concerning the B747:
Its correct that Boeing initially conceived an aircraft to compete in the request for a heavy lift AC for the USAF in the 60s. This contract was won by Lockheed with their C-5-proposal (which on a side note is in no way related to the B747). After this loss Boeing used some of the knowledge for their transport AC in R&D for the 747. However still the B747 is quite a different AC.

See airliners.net and globalsecurity.org for respective information (somehow I cant past text in this forum using Firefox :confused: ).
well thanks for clearing that up but what about the c141(i think it is called starlifter)isnt it a boeing project.

turin

Same with the C-141. Lockheed won that contract as well. Since the C-17 has been developed by McDonnell-Douglas, Boeing didnt seem to have much luck in the heavy-lift bussiness (MDD now belongs to Boeing though).

Firehorse

Banned Member
It may be because the Chinese have encountered major problems in their efforts to import Il-76 transport aircraft from Russia that the PLA Air Force has decided to use the Boeing 737 as a platform for its aerial command aircraft.
http://www.upi.com/International_Se...analysis_china_fits_737_to_military_use/1180/
Well, I'm not surprised at this news. As for IL-76s, I wonder why Russia hadn't offered them 2nd hand airlifters on lease (or "to own")from their AF until new ones are delivered?