Canada’s Dash 8-300 not Saab2000 to be inducted in PIA’s fleet

fieldmarshal

Canada’s Dash 8-300 aircraft to be inducted in PIA’s fleet
By our correspondent

Link:http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/

KARACHI: The Board of Directors of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has approved the induction of seven Canadian Dash 8-300 aircraft into PIA’s fleet.
The Board that met on Thursday at the PIA head office, first considered the options of Dash 8-300, ATR42 and SAAB2000 and later on, decided to select seven new Dash 8-3000 aircraft fitted with Pratt and Whitney engines for its induction in the PIA fleet to replace its old F-27 fleet, a PIA press release said.
PIA’s Director Marketing, Kamran Hassan while talking to the News said that the PIA would spend around $100 million for the induction of these new planes.
With the induction of these new aircraft, the national carrier will be able to provide better services to its passengers on socio-economic routes, he said.

The PIA is operating its fleet at concessional rates to and from the northern areas - thus facing huge losses on these routes.

The PIA has approached the federal government for compensation worth Rs550 million per annum. Unless the government provides the compensation, the PIA has to absorb these losses, Kamran said.

It is only the PIA that is operating on these routes just to provide facilities to the citizens living in the remote areas, he added. In principle, the federal government has accepted the PIA demand, he said.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They're a good solid intercommuter. Although they shake your teeth out on take off. (compared to a jet anyway)

Flown in many a Dash 8 (but more hours in a F-27 in my early guvvie days)

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
maybe this signifies the fact that the PAF will choose an other plane on which to place the ericson awacs sys, that is if they are gettin it or for that matter if they are interusted in the sys.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
fieldmarshal said:
maybe this signifies the fact that the PAF will choose an other plane on which to place the ericson awacs sys, that is if they are gettin it or for that matter if they are interusted in the sys.
I'd find it hard to believe that PAF would put sensitive air warfare systems into a platform that has known noise and vibration issues.

IMHO a Dash 8 is not a suitable AWACs legacy platform.

fieldmarshal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf my post was regarding the remoured inducton of saab 2000 into the PAF, so i was mairly stating the fact that may be PAF will choose some other platform for the ericson ( if at all), this does not mean that now PAF will select dash 8 for the particular role.
any way its all guess work n speculations.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
fieldmarshal said:
gf my post was regarding the remoured inducton of saab 2000 into the PAF, so i was mairly stating the fact that may be PAF will choose some other platform for the ericson ( if at all), this does not mean that now PAF will select dash 8 for the particular role.
any way its all guess work n speculations.
Yes, I understood that was what you were leading to. I was just clarifying the notion that the Dash 8 would not be suitable for an air warfare management role. The SAAB would be much smoother through various flight cycles. That is of course IMHO.