Bulgaria to Purchase Western Warplanes: Army Commander

The Watcher

Anyone from Bulgaria?

---------------------------------------------------------

SOFIA (bnn)- Bulgaria, which has recently joined NATO, is looking to buy western type of warplanes for its airforce, the country’s top military commander said Friday.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Nikola Kolev said the military were already reviewing orders but would not elaborate about them.

Press reports have quoted military as saying Bulgaria would be most probably choosing among U.S.-made F-16 Falcon, F-18 Hornet and British-Swedish JAS-39 Grippen. Germany has suggested it could give Bulgaria Tornado interceptors, which it would cut from its air force. There have been word even of purchasing the world’s top-of the-line Eurofighters.

Kolev said the Ministry of Defense has abandoned a plan to modernize its 20 Soviet-made MiG-29 jet fighters along NATO standards.

Russian manufacturer of the aircraft RSK MiG has delayed a contract about the modernization for about one-year.

The whole fleet has been grounded for lack of spare parts. The Russians have so far repaired six fighters. Bulgaria is seeking to bring the rest back into service and maintain its airforce adequate till it’s able to purchase western-made aircraft.

/bnn/

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
it's gonna be hard to operate the russian planes and western planes at the same time. takes a heavy toll on grounds support.

A

Aussie Digger

I think they are planning on completely replacing their Russian made fighters with Western fighters. I bet they choose second hand F-16's. I know they were having a look at Super Hornets the other week, but I doubt if they could afford a new fleet of Super Hornets. I'd be betting on refurbished F-16 MLU's.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
even if they plan to replace all russian jets wif western ones it won't be happening in a short period of time. bulgaria's defence budget simply can't afford that. it's gonna be at least another decade or more b4 they can completely replace those russian jets.

A

Aussie Digger

I've read articles on the Bulgarian Air Force in "Airforces Monthly" magazine. As I recall (though I may be incorrect) Bulgaria only operates around 48 combat aircraft in total (comprising Mig -29 and Mig 21 fighters). It would cost a lot to replace these fighters in one hit, but they may work out some kind of lease arrangement where they lease the fighters for x number of years prior to actually acquiring them. This would tend to favour an aircraft such as the F-16 or those German Tornado's. These surplus aircraft could be very quickly overhauled and brought into service with Bulgaria.

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
I've read articles on the Bulgarian Air Force in "Airforces Monthly" magazine. As I recall (though I may be incorrect) Bulgaria only operates around 48 combat aircraft in total (comprising Mig -29 and Mig 21 fighters). It would cost a lot to replace these fighters in one hit, but they may work out some kind of lease arrangement where they lease the fighters for x number of years prior to actually acquiring them. This would tend to favour an aircraft such as the F-16 or those German Tornado's. These surplus aircraft could be very quickly overhauled and brought into service with Bulgaria.
Does lease make the cost of the AC cheaper compared to new or second hand purchased AC

A

Aussie Digger

It doesn't make them any cheaper as far as I know, but it DOES tend to spread the cost out over a longer period. A very important point to politicians (who authorise the funding) and who generally have a short term focus...