Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Nellis_14_T-birds_1543-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1441-1.JPG

Nellis_14_T-birds_1491-1.JPG

Nellis_14_GR4_0963-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Belgian Air Force Alpha Jet pilots

This is a discussion on Belgian Air Force Alpha Jet pilots within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hi All, My first post here. I hope to make contact with pilots of the Belgian Air Force who were ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old February 3rd, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Belgian Air Force Alpha Jet pilots

Hi All,

My first post here. I hope to make contact with pilots of the Belgian Air Force who were trained in the Alpha Jet by 9 and 1 Wings of the Belgian Air Force at Brustem and Beauvechain. I am particularly interested in the training syllabus and any comment they might have on the capabilites of the Alpha Jet as well as any tales of exciting moments and near misses experienced whilst flying the type.

Last edited by tomdocherty72; February 3rd, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
tomdocherty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Military of Vietnam Yonkers Army & Security Forces 116 April 25th, 2013 09:15 PM
Air Force To Shink Its F-15 Fleet F-15 Eagle Air Force & Aviation 15 January 13th, 2008 06:59 PM
Iran Adds New Fighter Jet To Air Force Kobus_NL Air Force & Aviation 54 September 11th, 2006 04:53 PM
Turkish Air Force - Türk Hava Kuvvetleri musti Air Force & Aviation 0 May 26th, 2005 03:05 PM
Quotes about PAF ullu Air Force & Aviation 2 December 29th, 2003 12:22 PM

Old February 8th, 2013   #2
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Exchange pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdocherty72 View Post
Hi All,

My first post here. I hope to make contact with pilots of the Belgian Air Force who were trained in the Alpha Jet by 9 and 1 Wings of the Belgian Air Force at Brustem and Beauvechain. I am particularly interested in the training syllabus and any comment they might have on the capabilites of the Alpha Jet as well as any tales of exciting moments and near misses experienced whilst flying the type.
No response from anyone in the BAF yet. Is there anyone out there from the RAF who flew the type as an exchange pilot with the Belgians or at Boscombe Down with the few operated there?
Old February 8th, 2013   #3
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
There aren't many pilots in general that frequent these forums mate. You might be better off seeking alternative methods of communication more specific to those units or individuals you're seeking out. Do feel free to stick around here for the conversation, though. : )
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013   #4
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdocherty72 View Post
No response from anyone in the BAF yet. Is there anyone out there from the RAF who flew the type as an exchange pilot with the Belgians or at Boscombe Down with the few operated there?
FYI, the type has been operated from French soil near Cazaux for some time now and the machines are jointly maintained with other training assets, like the SF260.

As for the more hair-raising situations, I can only attest, from the ground, to seeing many a BAF two-ship flying their low-level runs over the country side when these were still permissible. During the cold war, BAF units were some of the only ones in NATO to train with 'no minimum'. This contributed to a very high accident rate among the Mirage V fleet (and crews) and initially with the F16s. The policy changed dramatically when some midairs were experienced with small civilian aircraft in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Gunnery training was then concentrated in Sardinia and much navigation training was conducted on early instrumented ranges in SW France and separately in Corsica.

One fun situation in 1990 was seeing a pair of F4s (non BAF and therefore illegally operating so low --my guess would be USN or USMC because of the apparent F4N and carrier color scheme) between the arches of the bridge on Brussels to Paris highway not five miles from SHAPE headquarters near Mons. It happened around 2:00AM and I can tell you that while the bridge was lit and there was a near full moon, as I was only 200 yards from crossing the bridge the planes got my FULL attention. As a pilot, I can appreciate the airmanship but the move was just 'ill-advised' to say the least.
FirstSpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013   #5
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Alpha Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSpear View Post
As for the more hair-raising situations, I can only attest, from the ground, to seeing many a BAF two-ship flying their low-level runs over the country side when these were still permissible. During the cold war, BAF units were some of the only ones in NATO to train with 'no minimum'. This contributed to a very high accident rate among the Mirage V fleet (and crews) and initially with the F16s. The policy changed dramatically when some midairs were experienced with small civilian aircraft in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Gunnery training was then concentrated in Sardinia and much navigation training was conducted on early instrumented ranges in SW France and separately in Corsica.
Hi FirstSpear,

Thanks for you feedback on the Alpha Jet. I note that your perspective was from the ground. Were you directly involved with the Alpha Jet as a pilot, ground crew or other support staff?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: