Basics on Joining up into the RAAF

jenne141

There are a few things that I have tried asking people but nobody seems to know the answers to any of my questions- or don't make themselves quite clear. So if anyone would like to take a moment to answer some of my questions it'd be very much appreciated.

Questions:
-I'm finishing up my last year of school and have read on the defence force sites that there is an academy in Sale, Victoria, that takes students straight from school. How do I apply?

-I am studying a science course at school, but was not allowed to study a math course this year because I hadn't completed units 1/2 of math. I heard that there is a general knowledge test that I can it that may be able to give me a pass into the academy. Is this my only option?

-I have a tattoo on my right forearm, and a very small tattoo on my left forearm. Will this affect my chances?

Thanks, Jenne.

Lofty_DBF

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Call ADF recruiting.

They do not mind you calling and asking questions. but if you need to be spoon fed this basic information maybe you are not suitable for the ADF.

A

Aussie Digger

There are a few things that I have tried asking people but nobody seems to know the answers to any of my questions- or don't make themselves quite clear. So if anyone would like to take a moment to answer some of my questions it'd be very much appreciated.

Questions:
-I'm finishing up my last year of school and have read on the defence force sites that there is an academy in Sale, Victoria, that takes students straight from school. How do I apply?
Through the defencejobs website.

Home | Defence Jobs

https://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/apply/default.aspx

-I am studying a science course at school, but was not allowed to study a math course this year because I hadn't completed units 1/2 of math. I heard that there is a general knowledge test that I can it that may be able to give me a pass into the academy. Is this my only option?

-I have a tattoo on my right forearm, and a very small tattoo on my left forearm. Will this affect my chances?

Thanks, Jenne.
All the info needed for those interested in attending ADFA - Australian Defence Force Academy can be found here:

ADFA | Defence Jobs

Regards

AD

t68

Call ADF recruiting.

They do not mind you calling and asking questions. but if you need to be spoon fed this basic information maybe you are not suitable for the ADF.

Geez a bit harsh hey,
At least he’s asking questions and finishing high school not like a lot of young blokes today.
Aussie Digger pointed him in the right direction, good on ya!!!

Lofty_DBF

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Geez a bit harsh hey,
At least he’s asking questions and finishing high school not like a lot of young blokes today.
Aussie Digger pointed him in the right direction, good on ya!!!
A bit harsh I dont think so. I know what it is like to serve with people that want to be spoon fed everything and can not think for themselves.

jenne141

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit harsh I dont think so. I know what it is like to serve with people that want to be spoon fed everything and can not think for themselves.
I don't need to be spoon fed- I'm not just some clueless girl who came out of the blue wanting to fly jets..
I HAVE read all the information on the main defence force sites, I just signed up for this site so I could possibly contact an actual pilot in the RAAF to ask questions- not receive negative comments from some child who tells me that "maybe I am not suitable for the ADF." I'm pretty sure that men and women of the Air Force see my asking of questions as a good thing, and it shows that I am at least willing to ask. I might seem like an idiot for asking something basic, but it is better safe than sorry.
I'm always being told 'It's better to ask if you're not 100% sure about something'.
Besides, you couldn't possibly know everything after learning it only once.

Thank you to the people who gave me the advice to contact the defence sites(even though I have already done this multiple times). I appreciate your effort.

PS. And I do know about which base I already want to apply for, it's in East Sale.

jenne141

Besides, what exactly is it that I have to "Think for myself"? On Tattoos, for example, it says that all tattoos will be assed on being appropriate or not.. so what exactly and I supposed to think for myself about? I'm no mind reader, and I can't possible know what they're going to think about it.

If you only have critism to say, then keep it to yourself or go sook to your pals about it because I am not the least bit interested in what you have to say. It's a little pathetic that you actually wasted your time commenting on this thread in the first place- unless YOU actually wanted to know the basics yourself but would rather pretend that you actually know all the basics and decided to be a smart ass instead. :p:

Kilo 2-3

Besides, what exactly is it that I have to "Think for myself"? On Tattoos, for example, it says that all tattoos will be assed on being appropriate or not.. so what exactly and I supposed to think for myself about? I'm no mind reader, and I can't possible know what they're going to think about it.

If you only have critism to say, then keep it to yourself or go sook to your pals about it because I am not the least bit interested in what you have to say. It's a little pathetic that you actually wasted your time commenting on this thread in the first place- unless YOU actually wanted to know the basics yourself but would rather pretend that you actually know all the basics and decided to be a smart ass instead. :p:
Whoa, there. Calm down just a little bit.

Understanding the basics and the specifics is important as you try to realize your goal of joining the RAAF. The fact that you understand the importance of this and are willing to ask and do your homework is a good thing.

However, you aren't putting your best foot forward by becoming defensive and making personal attacks on Lofty.

A good number of the posters on this forum as a whole are veterans, active duty servicemen, or work in the defense industry. They serve in the armed forces or interact with military personnel on a daily basis and they understand what it takes to wear that uniform far better than you do.

That said, I wish you the very best of luck as you move towards your goal of joining the RAAF:)

lopez

it says they will be assessed on an individual basis for obvious reasons.there may be cultural and situational aspects to take into consideration

as long as the tattoos are not overly visible or offensive, you should be fine.
e.g. no swastikas tattoos
I don't need to be spoon fed- I'm not just some clueless girl who came out of the blue wanting to fly jets..
I HAVE read all the information on the main defence force sites, I just signed up for this site so I could possibly contact an actual pilot in the RAAF to ask questions- not receive negative comments from some child who tells me that "maybe I am not suitable for the ADF." I'm pretty sure that men and women of the Air Force see my asking of questions as a good thing, and it shows that I am at least willing to ask. I might seem like an idiot for asking something basic, but it is better safe than sorry.
I'm always being told 'It's better to ask if you're not 100% sure about something'.
Besides, you couldn't possibly know everything after learning it only once.

Thank you to the people who gave me the advice to contact the defence sites(even though I have already done this multiple times). I appreciate your effort.

PS. And I do know about which base I already want to apply for, it's in East Sale.
so you want to be a pilot?

there are 2 ways to do this direct entry and adfa. form your previews posts you seem to have blended the 2.
both have the same initial requirements.if you haven't done maths (at 2unit mathematics level or higher, not general mathematics, this is using NSW course terminology) you would not eligible. however for adfa you also have to meet the requirements for university which means an acceptable ATAR (Australian tertiary Admission Ranking); adfa is very competitive to get into and you would need an ATAR significantly higher than you would need for your course else where.
they may allow you to take an intelligence equivalency assessment for direct entry but i am not sure.

as direct entry does not require you to go uni.
if you are only considering to become a pilot now (a third of the way through your final year) it may be a bit late. they are looking for people that have been planning for this for many years;mainly so you can choose the correct high school based courses so you are eligible.

hope this is some what helpful...

lopez

have you tried calling them?

ps . you don't apply for bases you apply for a job.east sale is where your initial officer training would take place.

my info comes from mates who have tried and failed.

jenne141

it says they will be assessed on an individual basis for obvious reasons.there may be cultural and situational aspects to take into consideration

as long as the tattoos are not overly visible or offensive, you should be fine.
e.g. no swastikas tattoos

so you want to be a pilot?

there are 2 ways to do this direct entry and adfa. form your previews posts you seem to have blended the 2.
both have the same initial requirements.if you haven't done maths (at 2unit mathematics level or higher, not general mathematics, this is using NSW course terminology) you would not eligible. however for adfa you also have to meet the requirements for university which means an acceptable ATAR (Australian tertiary Admission Ranking); adfa is very competitive to get into and you would need an ATAR significantly higher than you would need for your course else where.
they may allow you to take an intelligence equivalency assessment for direct entry but i am not sure.

as direct entry does not require you to go uni.
if you are only considering to become a pilot now (a third of the way through your final year) it may be a bit late. they are looking for people that have been planning for this for many years;mainly so you can choose the correct high school based courses so you are eligible.

hope this is some what helpful...

lopez

have you tried calling them?

ps . you don't apply for bases you apply for a job.east sale is where your initial officer training would take place.

my info comes from mates who have tried and failed.

I've wanted to become a pilot since I was fourteen, but I was stupid enough to not check on the educational requirements until mid last year and so I tried to get into the math courses at my school but they wouldn't let me in because I was too late.

I wasn't meant to lose my cool at that poster, but I took it in as pretty harsh since I had only asked a few questions and got a smart-ass response from someone who I dont know.

Do you think It might be smarter if I just repeated my schooling, or did a math course at tafe/uni so I can meet the requirements, or take my chance at the intelligence equivalency test? which I believe is similar to the VETASSES test..

Thank you for the advise, and yes I have called the defence recruiting line twice, but I cant seem to catch them during the right hours so I will try again with my school careers teacher.

Lofty_DBF

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi

Not once in your original post did you mention that you called DFR for answer to your questions.
Dont bother getting your school careers adviser to ring your a big girl now call DFR they would rather talk to you.
You should be able organise to use the school's phone to call DFR its a free call I am sure they wont mind during school hours.
If only you explained your situation from the start all this attitude wouldn't have been necessary.

But what would I know

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Time to cool down

1. If you already called DFR then what bit was confusing in the response?
  2. Are you in a city or small town? ie can you get to DFR for a face to face?
  3. Did you go to your school counsellor as part of any of your reseearch as well as contacting DFR

south

Read this thread - it has pretty much everything and there are people who are going through the recruitment process right now who may have more information. RAAF Flight Screening Program (Merged) - PPRuNe Forums

having said that, dont accept the fact that you havent been able to contact DFR. Show a little more initiative/dedication/motivation (you will be assessed on these qualities at the OSB for Pilot selection) - write them an email / leave your phone details / leave a voice mail message. Whatever you need to do, just make it happen! I found this link within 15 minutes of lookingRecruitment Centre | Support and Downloads | Defence Jobs

south

There is also a lot of information on the RAAF site on PSA and OSB's, as well as edumacation standards required.

Lofty_DBF

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I wonder how our friend is going with all the helpful advice she has been given.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
lol.

I heard she was spotted doing laps of the Safeway carpark in Sale looking for the RAAF base....

I jest, I jest! :D

Lets hope she got herself all sorted out and is on her way to becoming a valued member of the ADF. :)