alternative comparative analysis: LCA vs JF-17 / FC-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit

An alternative comparative analysis: LCA vs FC-1

The aim of this essay is to explore the relative merits of the two essentially equivalent designs on a “single-system†basis. In doing so we must bear in mind that an aircraft is deployed as part of a wider warfighting system and therefore aircraft/weapons data, although a factor, is not in itself a sound basis for assessing combat capability. However, comparing aircraft performance, capabilities and suchlike, remains of great interest to the airpower enthusiast and amateur strategist.

One problem with this type of analysis surrounds the validity of the data, mostly gleamed from the web. Patriots embellish capabilities, estimations are optimistic and most data is presented out of context. But by browsing widely and trying to home in on more credible sources, we hope not be too far off.

It is also useful to compare them with equivalent aircraft worldwide, particularl Taiwan’s Ching Kuo fighter, South Korea’s proposed F-50 Golden Eagle (dedicated fighter variant of T-50/A-50) and Sweden’s superb Gripen aircraft. The latter is perhaps the benchmark, and as our analysis will show, is generally superior to either design.

Executive overview
Neither fighter is likely to be particularly outstanding. Whilst the LCA is generally credited with having superior performance and weapons systems, the FC-1 carries the price advantage. Neither fighter is likely reduce their respective airforce’s dependency on foreign systems for key combat capabilities as much as would have been hoped at their inception. In the case of both India and Pakistan, better solutions could have been obtained “off the selfâ€, and indeed this is happening.

BVR capability
Both aircraft will have an up-to-date beyond visual range capability. Whilst nothing new for the IAF, it represents a quantum leap for Pakistan who currently makes do with Sparrows, it’s Mirage and Chinese fighter’s having no BVR capability whatsoever.

Whilst we know that Pakistani FC-1s will probably be equipped with the SD-10 missile (even if it is not up to PAF standards, there seems little choice), more uncertainty surrounds the LCA’s fit. It is generally supposed that it will employ the Astra BVR missile currently in development. This is despite India already buying AA-10 Alamo, AA-12 Adder, Derby and MICA systems. Whilst the Astra is generally claimed to posess Adder like capabilities, it would be a great surprise if it actually lives up to such expectations. It will certainly be bigger and heavier, and probably less ‘deadly’ than either the Derby or MICA. This begs the question: why not simply switch to either Derby or MICA? It would probably be quicker and cheaper to use these highly credible foreign designs, and have less impact on aircraft performance.

Having just assassinated the Astra, let me turn to the SD-10. In common with its India counterpart, it is notionally an advanced BVR missile. It probably features much Adder technology including the seeker, although speculation of anti-radiation seekers persists. It reportedly has a lock-on jam capability which is a good feature, although unremarkable today. Again it is bigger, heavier and almost certainly less ‘deadly’ than the likes of AMRAAM, Derby and MICA. Pakistan now has access to AMRAAM (albeit export models), so the SD-10 will not be all that even in PAF service.

So what we have is lightweight fighters equipped with comparatively bulky BVR missiles…

Both countries (Pakistan and India) ought to have learnt from Taiwan’s IDF (“Ching Kuoâ€) program. Similarly motivated by the effect of sanctions, the Taiwanese sought to develop an indigenous fighter and equip it with indigenous missiles analogous with AMRAAM. The Taiwanese missile is called the Skysword II. Although few specific performance details have been released, presumably because they are embarrassing, it is almost certainly less effective than AMRAAM. Like Pakistan and India, sanctions faded and Taiwan was able to purchase Western fighters/missiles (Pakistan buying F-16Cs with AMRAAM, India buying Mirage 2000-5s with MICA….). Taiwan jumped at the opportunity, cutting Ching Kuo production (greatly increasing effective unit cost) and brought both F16s with AMRAAM and Mirage 2000-5s with MICA. What is more, it wasn’t until several years after the introduction of the Ching Kuo that the Skysword II could be described as an operational reality.

The only solace for the Ching Kuo progam is that at least the Skysword IIs are carried semi-recessed, thus reducing performance deterioration, something neither the FC-1 nor LCA has employed. Given the Ching Kuo’s somewhat lackluster performance to start with, it’s hardly worth partying about.

By comparison, other lightweight fighters are way ahead; the F-50 will almost certainly carry AMRAAM and the Gripen can carry AMRAAM, MICA and R-Darter (South African BVR missile believed to borrow from Derby), not to mention the Meteor when it enters service. The ramjet powered Meteor is a further quantum leap of missile capability.

Both the LCA and FC-1 are likely to be equipped with credible X-band pulse Doppler multi-mode radars. The LCA’s is indigenous, which may cause delays and cost overruns (what system doesn’t these days??? But crucially, the radar is still in development). Like the Astra program, India’s indigenous radar is generally reported optimistically, yet the end result seems questionable. The FC-1 has at least an off-the-shelf radar fit, presumed to be the Italian FIAR Grifo S-7 in PAF service. This series of radar is already produced in Pakistan for the J-7M aircraft. It was conceived as an upgrade replacement for baseline APG-67 which equips most export F-16s, so we can safely assume that it outperforms most models of APG-67. However, it is said to lack multi-target tracking/engagement capability, which obviously detracts from basic air-defense efficiency.

Both radar systems are a generation behind the leading European, Russian and American systems now entering service. By comparison, the Gripen, notionally a lightweight fighter, is complimented for its network-centric avionics and represents a major capability step-up compared to either the LCA or FC-1.

Dogfight capability
The traditional strongpoint of the lightweight fighter was good old-fashioned WVR engagement. Both the LCA and FC-1 represent a performance improvement over the F-5E, Mig-21 and even F-16A generation of lightweight fighters. The FC-1 is credited with an +8.5g limit which is a shade behind the LCA’s +9g, implying that the LCA is probably more agile.

The FC-1 in PAF service is likely to be equipped with AIM-9P Sidewinder and/or Chinese PL-9 missiles. The AIM-9P in particular is not particularly good by today’s standards, lacking many of the features considered standard for current generation fighters, such as helmet mounted sighting and high off-boresight capability. Idle speculation that the FC-1 will now be equipped with AIM-9X advanced WVR missiles now that the US has lifted sanctions seems unlikely in the initial operations of the FC-1 in PAF service. If AIM-9X is deployed, priority will surly go to the F-16Cs expected to enter service. The PL-9 is on paper a step above the AIM-9P with a high off-boresight capability, high agility, compatibility with helmet mounted sighting and suchlike. However, it does not appear to be a runaway success, since China’s flagship J-10 fighter is consistently seen carrying PL-8 missiles and Janes Defense Review has expressed the opinion that it is very short ranged.

The LCA will probably be equipped with AA-11 Archer WVR missiles. Whilst not as cutting edge as they were when they first entered service, but nonetheless features helmet mounted sighting, high off-boresight lock-on and carries a distinct performance advantage over the AIM-9P and likely PL-9. If Israel sells the incredibly lethal Python 4 or 5 missiles to India, the LCA could well jump further ahead.

Getting back to the AIM-9P issue, it is worth noting that most Gripens also carry similar Sidewinder models, whilst South Africa apparently deploys the promising A-Dartar. But Swedish Gripen’s a slated to get the next generation IRIS-T missile which is likely far more capable than either AIM-9P or PL-9. The F-50 looks set to get AIM-9X, though the Ching Kuo is stuck with the modest Skysword I Sidewinder copy.

Both aircraft are equipped with the reliable but unremarkable twin GSh-23mm cannon.

Weapons load
On paper the LCA appears to have a marginally greater weapons load than the FC-1 although the round figure of 4000kg appears an estimate.

Perhaps a better indicator is the thrust to weight ratio. The higher the figure, the greater the margin for bolting on various bits of kit, such as missiles, with (simplistically) less effect on performance. To calculate the thrust to weight ratio I’ve used the maximum thrust with afterburner and the normal take-off weight. Both come out with a 0.91 ratio. That’s not bad, but a far cry from the >1 (i.e. more thrust than weight) claimed by the F-15 and Su-27 families of aircraft. So, no prospect of impressive “cobra maneuvers†at airshows from these two.

A key factor in translating on-paper thrust to weight ratios to actual combat performance is the likely weapons fit. If we assume that both aircraft will be deployed with two BVR missiles and 2 WVR missiles, we can calculate the weight of the typical in-combat fit (keeping the fuel load factor in the back of our minds):
FC-1 = 2 x AIM-9P and 2 x SD-10 = 520kg
LCA = 2 x AA-11 and 2 x Astra = 518kg
Even-Stevens, although if the FC-1 carries the heavier PL-9 in place of the AIM-9P, the weight goes up noticeably to 590kg. By comparison, weapon loads of four Derby missiles weighs 484kg and four MICAs just 360kg.

It should be noted that I used the GE F404-F2J3 turbofan rated at 18,097 lbst in my calculations for the LCA. The as yet unproven Kavari engine will supposedly develop 20,000 lbst. That would increase the thrust to weight ratio to close to that of the Gripen. However, 20,000 lbst is only an estimate, and without credence, I discounted it from my calculations.

Cost
Indigenous fighter programs are on the face of it expensive. Taiwan’s Ching Kuo was supposed to have a fly-away cost of $24m (US) in 1994. But with the limited production run (intended 420 down to 130), it is likely far higher than that. The LCA is often quoted at about $26m (US) but that seems grossly optimistic, as its detractors constantly remind us. The FC-1 apparently carries a $15m (US) price tag which again seems optimistic. However, Chinese fighters are generally quite cheap, so the FC-1 will almost certainly be significantly cheaper than the LCA. If China does purchase the FC-1 (as the JF-17), as now seems likely, then costs alt to be reduced, although whether Pakistan will benefit from this economy of scale is uncertain.

However, the LCA as a potential export market, provided the Kavari engine materializes. The FC-1 could be exported by China, thus reducing unit cost, but its prospects are limited due to its Russian engine; Russia apparently attaching the condition that the FC-1 is not marketed against the similarly engined Mig-29 Fulcrum.

But for about $30m (US) you can get Gripen (whether the Swedes would sell to either India or Pakistan now is open to debate).

Conclusion
Neither aircraft is as impressive as many of the patriots would like us to believe. In the quest for increased self-sufficiency in arms, both Pakistan and India are paying the price attached to indigenous development of fighter aircraft; a trend mirrored in Taiwan’s Ching Kuo and Japan’s F-2 programs. South Korea’s Golden Eagle program proves that such projects are possible, but in many respects the Golden Eagle is unadventurous. And the rewards are correspondingly modest.

The real weakness of both aircraft is likely to be th missile systems. Whilst notionally “currentâ€, they are unlikely to outperform off the shelf systems widely available.

tphuang

Super Moderator
I agree that both planes are trash, but I have to correct you on a few things:
1. Where did you form your low opinion of SD-10 from? Do you have any proof that it's less deadly than Mica and Derby? Also, SD-10 is not that much bigger than AA-12, so it's not huge for an AAM. I guess we will see in the future whether or not Pakistan chooses more AMRAAM or SD-10 misisles.

2. Grifo S-7 has multi-targetting and engagement capability. And so does the Chinese version of FC-1, so please check your sources.

3. Kaveri is pretty much a failed project imo, the Indians seem to have settled on GE-404. As for the Chinese engine, I think WS-13A is coming out in 2006/7 (before entering service), so I don't think it will be that big of a problem.

Hussain

tphuang said:
1. Where did you form your low opinion of SD-10 from? Do you have any proof that it's less deadly than Mica and Derby? Also, SD-10 is not that much bigger than AA-12, so it's not huge for an AAM. I guess we will see in the future whether or not Pakistan chooses more AMRAAM or SD-10 misisles.

2. Grifo S-7 has multi-targetting and engagement capability. And so does the Chinese version of FC-1, so please check your sources.

3. Kaveri is pretty much a failed project imo, the Indians seem to have settled on GE-404. As for the Chinese engine, I think WS-13A is coming out in 2006/7 (before entering service), so I don't think it will be that big of a problem.
Good point. I think Brit is trying to compare two completely different planes. I already did post a reply but somehow it vanished into thin air.

I think the FC1 will accomplish its goal as mid performance fighter if it is nearly as capable as Pakistan's fleet of Mirage III's . I think the Chinese and Pakistani's can keep the costs down on the fighter as at this moment of time most of the plane (except engines) are soley manufactured in China.

Hussain

Would it be reasonable to state that the develoment costs for LCA engine are greater than the FC1 project?

As of yet it is not entirely clear whether or not the final production engine has been chosen. This will ultimately increase the costs of the LCA project.

Brit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
tphuang said:
My opinion is my opinion, but the main data source is Sinodefence.com for SD-10. Is there any proof to suggest that the SD-10 is more capable than the MICA or Derby? As for AA-12, that too is a comparatively bulky missile for a light fighter.

tphuang said:
I'll look further into it. Do you have any credible sources I can use for this specific point?

tphuang said:
Similar opinion of Kavari was why I used the GE engine in my analysis. Call me a doubting Thomas but I can't imagine PAF FC-1s using Chinese engines any time soon.

Hussain said:
I think the FC1 will accomplish its goal as mid performance fighter if it is nearly as capable as Pakistan's fleet of Mirage III's . I think the Chinese and Pakistani's can keep the costs down on the fighter as at this moment of time most of the plane (except engines) are soley manufactured in China.
So the PAF are aiming low, lol. Nearly as capable as Mirage IIIs... that's a sound strategy.

Mind you, I agree re the cost implications of the Kavari engine. Maybe it'll be awesome and a run-away export success, but I doubt it. A strong parallel with Taiwan's Ching Kuo project again; they developed an indigenous engine which turned out to be expensive and under-powered, arguably the Achilles heel of the Ching Kuo.

Hussain

[ Admin Edit: Hussain, are you awake? Go have some Mountain Dew or something. This is about JF-17 and LCA comparative discussions and NOT about PAF Mirages or ROSE 3 upgrades. Every single topic is not there for you so you can bs. Stick to the topic, if you can't do that, don't reply and take the topic into something totally different. ]

[ Sorry folks, Hussain has been in the "off topic" land for sometime now. I just had to get it out of my system. Please continue. ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Brit

{Last minute edit} I’d prepared a response re the Mirage comments trying to put them into perspective. Lol.

Hussain said:
It should be noted that the development of the FC1 came at a time when there were strict sanctions imposed upon Pakistan by the US and many European nations. Now Pakistan is able to receive sensitive technology from Western European nations I am quite certain that Pakistan would be able to develop newer generations of radar sytems possibly through further technology transfers via FIAR.
Yes, like Taiwan’s Ching Kuo; as soon as diplomatic relations with the west were healthy again, Taiwan tried its best to ditch the expensive and under-performing Ching Kuo for imported fighters (F-16 & Mirage 2000-5), but was stuck with a political commitment to a limited production run of 130 airframes and all the inherent costs of introducing new types with unsupported new engines and missile systems (because they are indigenous). So perhaps the FC-1 is a success measured against yesterday’s terms… a ball and shackle in tomorrow’s world. Much the same for LCA of course.

Hussain said:
So, I think that the Pakistani's and Chinese did set their goals high with the FC1 and appear to have been successful in producing a fighter that can hold its own against Western European fighters of the late 80's and mid 90's.
I’m sure that’ll be a real comfort to the pilots who face the prospect of going against India’s fighters.

Hussain, what you are saying makes sense, but this is 2005 and the FC-1 isn’t even operational yet. If we look at it in objective terms, the FC-1 is not the optimum solution to PAF’s needs today in today’s circumstances.

kilo_4que

Hi Brit, whilst I like most of the post you have since it is your own opinions as you put it. I think you are rather vague in certain areas. Yes your personal opinions would be justified but following some references would help.

Consequently, the ironic thing is you are building a comparative analysis between two fighters that are in different phases in production and furthermore one project starting many years before its counter part.

The LCA was a flawed project in its early years however due to vast spendings on Indias point of view, they couldn't afford to scrap it hence the reason the project is still crippling forward today. Nevertheless, the JF-17 is an infant compared to the LCA and i would say more successful in that the short time compared to the LCA it has achieved much more and we have seen more test flights of the JF-17 than the number of photos of the LCA (of course that is a little sarcastic ;) )

Furthermore, the LCA has had so much time to improve on its previous designs and developments that today it could have been a regular bird in the sky for India however, a lone player trying to run before it can walk this was not possible.

Pakistan on the other hand have seen more fruitful outcomes. Reason being, they never went alone in trying to build an indegneous aircraft which admitedly so is no duck work. They chose to have a joint venture between a country that has already experienced building fighters for some time now and also a nation that would accept pakistan as a partner with open arms. Likewise, the JF-17 has taken to the skies with little to worry about apart from the conflict between russia in marketing the JF-17 with their engines.

So apart from the statistics you are giving, the only comparison which makes sense is that the two nations in question are big time rivals.

However the blatant reason why it is difficult to compare the two projects is, one has been around longer than the other. We have seen more of the latter in its test flights with successful outcomes yes they have time to modify before a final design even though reports suggest that the fighters are already roling out. Even if so, the project would be an allround success as it has beaten its arch rival in unveiling itself first whilst beginning a long time after.

Another reason to add is, that the predominate reasons youve given to compare the two and make one more successful than the other which in most case the winner was LCA, they are all presumptions. They are claimed to be technologies that the fighters will possess yet the reality is unknown.

How do you know that say the Pakistanis arent unveiling the true beast that hides behind a concept shown to the public in order to decieve. Im not saying that is thecase, but it is a possiblility.

Also how do you not know that India is just sexing up its claims in order to influence the pakistanis mentally due to its failure in its own project.

To summarise, I think on indias behalf it is a concern in that the project seems to have put a financial dent in their budgets as money has been wasted on a merely failed project.

For pakistan however, this has been a great learning curve and there are very high expectations of the JF-17 being inducted in the PAF regardless of how comparable it is to the like of F-16s, Mig 29s and Su-27s. Also for pakistan it isnt as easy as "off the shelf" purchases as due to sanctions, even countries like Sweden wouldnt sell. Pakistan was on its high horses in aquiring a couple sqadrons of the Gripen, however due to Boengs involvement in the project which of course is from the US, Sweden was reluctant to sell. Yes of course other options were available, but Pakistan doesn't have strong spending power and cannot afford the likes of 75 millions a piece for the Rafale and neither does it have any chances of acquiring american fighters. It took so long to finalise a deal for F-16s which america owed PAF a long time ago anyway, so what makes you think its so simple for PAF to buy off the shelf fighters. Even Russia wouldnt sell due to warm relations with India.

So who is it out there that would sell off the shelf fighters, it turns out, Pakistan had no alternative but fend for itself. And I think they have done this remarkably, well done to them

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
Brit said:
My opinion is my opinion, but the main data source is Sinodefence.com for SD-10. Is there any proof to suggest that the SD-10 is more capable than the MICA or Derby? As for AA-12, that too is a comparatively bulky missile for a light fighter.
I have no proof either way, but I do have the stats on SD-10 if you want to check it out:
range: 70 KM measured at two planes going head on toward each other at mach1.2 at altitude of 10KM.
speed: mach4
manuverability: 38g
no escape zone for F-16s: 35-40KM

<Kanwa News Sept 10, 2003> China put on display the full-size SD10 AMRAAM model and disclosed more details about this weapon system. SD10 AMRAAM has a length of 3850mm, diameter 203mm, wing span 674mm weight 180kg, whiles for R77, these measurements are 3600mm, 200mm and 175kg respectively. Its operation altitude is 0-25km (0.02-30km for R77), maximum launching range 70km (50km for R77, some other documents say it is 70km), maximum speed M4 (M3 for R77) maneuverability 38g.

A source claims the design of the seeker was completed in cooperation with Russia. R77 adopts J band seeker. The overall designs of R77 and SD10 are significantly different. As far as the pneumatic shape of the missiles is concerned, SD10 is closer to AIM120A, suggesting that the production of SD10 started in later years of 1980s. It was after that that Russia and China started to cooperate in the areas of seeker technologies. SD10 uses radio command guidance plus strap-down inertial and active radar guidance. CATIC says SD10 is capable of attacking 4 targets simultaneously, while R77 can attack two air targets simultaneously. With reference to the diameter of SD10 AAM, its radar diameter is very likely larger than that of R77.

CATIC's technological experts told Kanwa that they are still upgrading SD10. Up to the present, SD10 with two and four rounds surface-to-air attack version has already been developed and related experiments have also been completed.

I'll look further into it. Do you have any credible sources I can use for this specific point?
As for Grifo-s7: I personally kind of suspect this is not true. It's been said that Grifo-s7 has yet to achieve this mentionned spec. It has yet to meet PAF's requirement, which is multiple engagements of BVR targets, but KLJ-7/10 has.

NEW FIRE CONTROL RADAR FOR FC-1

http://www.kanwa.com/defr/ - 2004 - 06 - 07

The competition for the airborne radar system used on FC1/JF17 FC1 has entered a very critical stage.” Last summer, the company fitted a GRIFO-S7 multi-purpose radar on Sabliner aircraft for testing and invited Pakistani representatives to observe the testing process. Galileo Avionica indicated that if China wants to obtain this type of radar system for further testing, the company would be willing to provide the radar to China.
On August 25, 2003, FC1/JF17 had the first trial flight. Currently, Galileo Avionica is using GRIFO-S7 to compete with the Russian Phazotron Company’s KOPYO F radar. Galileo Avionica demonstrated to Kanwa more details of GRIFO-S7. The radar’s transmitter output power has been increased to 500W, and it uses two types of antenna, with diameters of 600mm and 800mm respectively. The 600mm antennae’s detect range is 80km, while the search range of the 800mm antennae is more than 100km. What is being promoted to Pakistan is the 600mm antenna whose weight is 110kg. Galileo Avionica has conducted a very in-depth study of FC1. Galileo Avionica claims that they can provide 800mm GRIFO-S7 radar for FC1, but this may mean the location of the radar on board will have to be moved 400mm backward. And as a consequence, the whole electronic system will also have to be moved 400mm backwards. Galileo Avionica is capable of conducting such upgrading, and yet the total cost will increase. The GRIFO-S7 fitted with these two types of antenna is capable of tracking 16 targets in the air and attack 6 of them simultaneously. It adopts two-channel receiver data processing system. The MTBF for GRIFO-S7 is 220 hours. Galileo Avionica stresses that GRIFO-S7 is compatible with the SD10 active radar guided AAM weapon control software. GRIFO-S7 has 25 different air-to-air and air-to-surface operation modes.
Kanwa was informed that the French THALES had stepped up their effort to bid for the radar system used on FC1. THALES introduced RC400 to the parties involved and had also invited Pakistan to conduct air test of the system on Falcon 20 this year. RC400 has a weight of 120kg, output power 400W. It adopts mechanical scanning. THALES says the radar is capable of tracking as many as 32 targets in the air simultaneously. the third prototype of FC1 (JF17) fighter would have flying test in March 2004. The prototype FC1 is expected to conduct flying control experiments.

The fourth FC1 prototype will be fitted with domestic making KLJ10 fire control radar. Thus, whether the Chinese Air Force is going to order FC1 or not will very likely be determined after the flying tests of the fourth FC1 fighter are completed. It is not yet known the history of KLJ10 development. In 1999, China imported four sets of Kapyo radar systems from Russian Phazptron. Pakistan plans to have flying tests of the first batch 12 JF17 fighters from 2006. According to the memorandum signed by the two sides, Pakistan is expected to start the production of FC1 in January 2006. However, Kanwa has doubt about this production schedule, which will very likely be put off till later.

I personally think the specs set by FIAR is total bs, I don't think it can achieve the specs it mentionned. But if you look at KLJ-7/10, it actually beat out Kopyo-F for the Chinese version of JF-17 due to its performance. So, you can guess it's performance from there. Do you want the specs for Kopyo-F?

Similar opinion of Kavari was why I used the GE engine in my analysis. Call me a doubting Thomas but I can't imagine PAF FC-1s using Chinese engines any time soon.

So the PAF are aiming low, lol. Nearly as capable as Mirage IIIs... that's a sound strategy.

Mind you, I agree re the cost implications of the Kavari engine. Maybe it'll be awesome and a run-away export success, but I doubt it. A strong parallel with Taiwan's Ching Kuo project again; they developed an indigenous engine which turned out to be expensive and under-powered, arguably the Achilles heel of the Ching Kuo.
Well, considering that WS-10A has completed all tests and is to be certified by the end of this year. This is no more than 1 year behind the originally schedule. TVC WS-10A and WS-13A is scheduled to complete by 2006, so I would think they should be finished.

Just found the source of multiple engagement:
http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.48/pub_detail.asp
Currently the program advancing in two areas: flight testing and avionics integration. The later has entailed a considerable competition between several radar manufacturers. Since early in this program it was assumed that Pakistan and China would pursue different radar options, with the Italian Griffo being tipped as Pakistan’s likely choice, following on its selection for its Chengdu J-7PG fighters. However, Pakistani officials now disclose that a Chinese radar and avionics package will equip the first 50 JF-17s. China has taken a multi-mode radar developed for the Chengdu J-10 fighter and developed a smaller version, which a Pakistani official says, "have met our requirements—we have not lowered out requirements." These officials note that JF-17 fire control system will only need to support two simultaneous beyond-visual-range (BVR) target engagements. China success in selling its radar/avionics system to Pakistan is a sure indication of China’s rapid advance in mastering advanced fighter radar technologies. It also bodes well for the FC-1’s entry into the Chinese Air Force, which is expected by Pakistani officials.

Last edited:

Brit

Tphuang,

Re the SD-10, yep that's all in line with what I'd found on it. Of note, the range isn't all that given it's size IMO and the 38g capability is hardly remarkable; probably less than the Derby and MICA. MICA is quite short ranged for a MRAAM but Derby is quted, by Rafael, as having a 93km range from ground launch (i.e. as a SAM!). That seems a bit optimistic to me but gives an indication of the Derby option.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Brit said:
Tphuang,

Re the SD-10, yep that's all in line with what I'd found on it. Of note, the range isn't all that given it's size IMO and the 38g capability is hardly remarkable; probably less than the Derby and MICA. MICA is quite short ranged for a MRAAM but Derby is quted, by Rafael, as having a 93km range from ground launch (i.e. as a SAM!). That seems a bit optimistic to me but gives an indication of the Derby option.
as far as I know, MICA has similar g numbers to SD-10, but less range.

I'm not sure about Derby, do you have the numbers on that?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Brit said:
If we look at it in objective terms, the FC-1 is not the optimum solution to PAF’s needs today in today’s circumstances.
I wont quite agree with u here. It fits right in even in todays terms. In the begining when we say PT-1(01),PT-2(02) & PT-3(03) our impression was a low level 3rd generation aircraft just superior to F-4, F-5, Mirage-3/5 & specialy J-7/F-7/MiG-21 Fishbed/Bison. But after the PT-4(04) it was quite clear that FC-1/JF-17 is actualy planned to come up to the level of F-16A & specialy MiG-29. Today after viewing PT-4(04) many experts believe that JF-17/FC-1 is more in a competetion with MiG-29 only it being a single engine & since IAF the only threat to Pakistan/PAF has large number of MiG-29s the JF-17 would fit right in the PAF. Since it is viewed definitly superior to MiG-21s which IAF has in bulk & can be seen in almost every action taken by IAF (unless it is a large scale war), JF-17s can provide a greater defence against them aswell as take on MiG-27, Jaguars etc (excluding Su-30MKI & may be Mirage2000H aswell).

NOTE: By no means at this moment I am claiming that FC-1/JF-17 Thunder is superior to MiG-29 (specialy the late models & the one IAF has) but it still reduces the threat level & provides more support to PAF F-16s against any combinition of IAF fighters (again excluding Su-30MKI in various scenerios).

Many PAF/PAC officials have said (although not publicaly) that the available informations on JF-17/FC-1 project are limited, speculative & wrong in some departments e.g: In engine & Radar. They say that Griffo S-7 & Griffo-M would be installed on earlier versions of PAF JF-17s & regular export versions produced at PAC Kamra, as for the later advance versions of PAF JF-17s different & more advanced radar would be opted. Similarly various European specialy French avionics would be opted aswell (it is said that dessault & SEGAM have had a good look of the aircraft & Musharaf in his visit to France a year or so back did ask for assisstance).

In the weapons department officials have said that JF-17 would be fitted with range of weapons including European (mostly French), Chinese & Pakistani (e.g: H-2, H-4 etc) aswell. No mention of U.S weapons have been made publicaly yet but may be side winders get their way in, may be. Since its going to be a combinition of weapons we will see MICA aswell SD-10 both on FC-1/JF-17 Thunder.

Base line is that PAF/PAC & CAC want to make JF-17 an advance 3rd generation fighter which could take on Fighters like MiG-29 & at the same time replace J-7/F-7/MiG-21, F-4, F-5 & Mirage-3/5 series.

On the economic basis JF-17 has already been marketed to various countries & many countries like Bangladesh have already said that they are willing to buy FC-1/JF-17. In the begining it seemed like it is a aircraft for poor countries which can not either afford to purchase or maintain fighters like F-16, Mirage2000 & MiG-29 aswell but gradualy various middle eastern countries like Egypt have also shown interest & the PAF ACM has also marketed it to Saudis.

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
With what I have said in the previous post I am attaching these few computer generated pics which now seem to prove that what PAF/PAC & CAC said about the change in avionic, radar, engine etc is mostly true.

The pics may be of either PT-4(04) or may be of the last prototype PT-5(05).

Pay more attention to inlets, tail, wings & the nose. You'll see extended nose possibly to adjust a better radar.

tphuang

Super Moderator
apparently, there were 6 improvements made to prototype 4, I only noticed DSI. meh, to me, this is just another project to help CAC improve its development abilities, so it can get used to RD-93 (and wait for WS-13A) and learn how to put DSI on a plane. In terms of actual combat, it's purely developed to help out PAF.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
SABRE said:
With what I have said in the previous post I am attaching these few computer generated pics which now seem to prove that what PAF/PAC & CAC said about the change in avionic, radar, engine etc is mostly true.

The pics may be of either PT-4(04) or may be of the last prototype PT-5(05).

Pay more attention to inlets, tail, wings & the nose. You'll see extended nose possibly to adjust a better radar.
which one is which? Is the nose chined modified aircraft the newest derivative?

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Is there any posibility of adding 2 more hardpoints same like which Rafale have this would enhance its ability against opponets and in this way it would take out 6-8 ACs.Do not add bombs on it this duty can be adjusted in the other aircrafts like the F-16s and in the third fighter.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
kashifshahzad said:
Is there any posibility of adding 2 more hardpoints same like which Rafale have this would enhance its ability against opponets and in this way it would take out 6-8 ACs.Do not add bombs on it this duty can be adjusted in the other aircrafts like the F-16s and in the third fighter.
You just can't keep on adding rails and thus increasing loadouts as a solution to punching up an aircraft. Extra rails means more harnessing changes, changes in handling dynamics, changes in RCS, changes in range, changes in performance (speed to certain altitudes etc...)...

P.A.F

kashifshahzad said:
Chillout man kashif. Relax. Give the JF-17 some time to evolve. its a new born baby. it will get bigger and stronger as time goes on. and i'm sure pakistan would look to upgrade the avionics and subsystems on it as time goes on i.e. we will get better missiles and weapons to lach on to it. And PAF may even have JF-17 MK 1,2,3 and so on. So just relax and let time tell.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
tphuang said:
apparently, there were 6 improvements made to prototype 4, I only noticed DSI. meh, to me, this is just another project to help CAC improve its development abilities, so it can get used to RD-93 (and wait for WS-13A) and learn how to put DSI on a plane. In terms of actual combat, it's purely developed to help out PAF.
Yeah I guess we can say that its a good test bed for CAC & in the experiments & tests they have evolved the aircraft to a pretty good machine taking it from low level 3rd generation fighter to almost medium level (PT-4) & I guess it does suit PAF more than PLAAF but still PLAAF is going to purchase about 200 of them so I guess it suits them in various department aswell.

gf0012-aust said:
which one is which? Is the nose chined modified aircraft the newest derivative?
You mean which pic is of PT-4 & which is of PT-5. Well I am not too sure (as I have said before) but i guess the all 3 are same aircrafts in different colors. The nose modifications is seen in all 3 pics. Look closely at the black one (compare with the gray one).

Last edited:

P.A.F

SABRE,
I thought that there are only 4 prototypes. so where has PT-5 come into the equation. Also we all that seen pics of PT-1, PT-2 and PT-3. We have not seen pictures of the real life PT-4 which has undergone testing or is still being tested. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.