Aeronautic start-ups

BDRebel

Hi there everyone,

I've recently been looking up some of today's major aerospace companies and they all seem to have started off with entirely designing and manufacturing a certain aircraft, whether it be commercial or military.

Relatively simple technology back in those days made it possible to design an aircraft from scratch and manufacture it with low capital equipment. In modern days however, aircraft are much more sophisticated and expensive, and it seems start-ups these days are only capable of manufacturing a certain aircraft part on behalf of other major players.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi there everyone,

I've recently been looking up some of today's major aerospace companies and they all seem to have started off with entirely designing and manufacturing a certain aircraft, whether it be commercial or military.

Relatively simple technology back in those days made it possible to design an aircraft from scratch and manufacture it with low capital equipment. In modern days however, aircraft are much more sophisticated and expensive, and it seems start-ups these days are only capable of manufacturing a certain aircraft part on behalf of other major players.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That and the manufacturing techniques have become speciallized to the point where much of the aircraft isn't even built by the "manufacturer" anyway. They are practically project managers that perform the final assembly.