Advice for Joining the RAAF?

Bryn

Hi,

I'm 15 at the moment and I am hoping to join the RAAF as a pilot/officer. I was hoping to go to ADFA, but I am not sure if I would be selected seeing how many other people want to join ADFA and go to a selective schools and have pretty impressive grades.

At the moment I only go to a state school and my academic history isn't all that fancy, but I am going to try my best to finish years 11 and 12 with very high marks and attempt at an OP of 1 (only a few people have ever done this at my school).

I did Air Force Cadets on and off for about a year (due to me living with my grandmother and she was usually unable to take me to parade nights every week), and I have kinda quit although I still have a chance of going back.

I am planning to get a job soon, and I am pretty fit so I should be able to join the schools Basketball or Rugby team. I don't mind volunteer work at all either and I usually help out at school clean-ups whenever I can. I read a lot on the RAF, and RAAF in WW1, WW2 and in modern times. Also if Cadets is really worth it I will find a way to make it every parade night.

I would like to become a fighter pilot more than anything else in the Air Force because of how exciting it is to fly the aircraft and live that sort of lifestyle. I just need a little more advice about how I am going at the moment and what else I should do, maybe even what subject electives I should be choosing for years 10, 11 and 12.

Thanks. I know all of that was pretty boring :p: .

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be a fighter pilot I'm pretty sure you have to have very good scores in maths and physics.

You have to have perfect colour vision (no colour blindness) get yourself checked.

While a fighter pilot is the ultimate goal concider other career goals inc fixed and rotory wing piloting.

I teach several students who want to be pilots (C-130 and fighter), many have parents who work in the RAAF. I work in a regular non selective state school, I honestly don't think that is a issue if your grades and fitness are up to the task.

I would stay stick at air cadets, but know its only a small part of getting to the end goal. If you pursue it far enough you will get to fly light aircraft at some stage which will put you at an advantage over other people.

You need the marks. That means relentless study of physics and maths, and reasonable at all other subjects. Practice with some flight simulators.

Bryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To be a fighter pilot I'm pretty sure you have to have very good scores in maths and physics.

You have to have perfect colour vision (no colour blindness) get yourself checked.

While a fighter pilot is the ultimate goal concider other career goals inc fixed and rotory wing piloting.

I teach several students who want to be pilots (C-130 and fighter), many have parents who work in the RAAF. I work in a regular non selective state school, I honestly don't think that is a issue if your grades and fitness are up to the task.

I would stay stick at air cadets, but know its only a small part of getting to the end goal. If you pursue it far enough you will get to fly light aircraft at some stage which will put you at an advantage over other people.

You need the marks. That means relentless study of physics and maths, and reasonable at all other subjects. Practice with some flight simulators.
Okay, awesome. Yeah I have had my eyes checked, back in grade 5 I use to wear glasses just for reading but the Optometrist said my eyes are perfectly fine now. I'll see what I can do about cadets and put my head down for my schooling. Oh, and I play a lot of flight simulators.

Thanks! :)

armygirl

I was wondering how hard is it to get into ADFA?? I am doing Year 12 this year and my subjects are English Studies, Maths Apps, Modern History, Physical Education and Geography which I am going to change to Information Technology. I really want to get into AFDA. It has been a dream of mine. By the way I live in Darwin so the schools are not that great. My parents are in the army and I am doing cadets so will this help me???

cobzz

Hope this isn't against rules... I'd typically ask on a forum like baseops, or airwarriors, but there are no similar websites for Aus. What are the RAAF's pilot requirements regarding vision? And what about LASIK? Yes, the website has been checked, however, it would be nice if it were more in depth...

Arthur Ash

My advice, don't waste any more time on forums where all you get is varying opinions from people that may or may not know what they are talking about.

Get off your bum and walk into a Defence recruiting office and get the right answers to your questions.

barra

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
My advice, don't waste any more time on forums where all you get is varying opinions from people that may or may not know what they are talking about.

Get off your bum and walk into a Defence recruiting office and get the right answers to your questions.
Best advice I have ever seen on this forum, well done that man.

spongify92

Hi, I'm new around here so I didn't know how to start a new forum so I tacked onto this one...hope you don't mind.
I was also considering joining the RAAF as a pilot once I complete my HSC in 2010. This is a new idea, I'v not been wanting to do this since I was a young girl or anything, but I'm really interested in it now.
My name is Bec, I'm 16 and I just started year 11 this year and am studing; Ext 1. Maths, Standard English, Legal, Business, Tourism and Visual Arts. Is this ok to be excepted into the training?
I just wanted to know a few more things;
How long do you have to join for?
How long do you have to train for?
Where do you train?/
How many girls are there usually? Is it really out numbered?
Are there any info days/ recruitting days out at the bases?
Thanks...

south

Hi, I'm new around here so I didn't know how to start a new forum so I tacked onto this one...hope you don't mind.
I was also considering joining the RAAF as a pilot once I complete my HSC in 2010. This is a new idea, I'v not been wanting to do this since I was a young girl or anything, but I'm really interested in it now.
My name is Bec, I'm 16 and I just started year 11 this year and am studing; Ext 1. Maths, Standard English, Legal, Business, Tourism and Visual Arts. Is this ok to be excepted into the training?
I just wanted to know a few more things;
How long do you have to join for?
How long do you have to train for?
Where do you train?/
How many girls are there usually? Is it really out numbered?
Are there any info days/ recruitting days out at the bases?
Thanks...
Most of what you seek can be found at www.defencejobs.gov.au, alternatively call 131901.

WRT chicks, there are generally only one, maybe two girls on a pilots course. As such you will find that girls are very outnumbered, and it is a boys world. There shouldnt be any discrimination however, and everyone gets a fair go.

Roadsy

People who arent doing Physics can just kiss their dreams good bye sorry to say.
I am doing maths 2c/2d yr 11 3a/3b yr 12, Physics 2a/2b yr 11 3a/3b yr 12, geography 2a/2b yr 11 3a/3b yr 12, aviation 2a/2b yr 11 3a/3b yr 12, English 1c/1d yr 11 2a/2b yr 12 (i can graduate :p) EES 2a/2b yr 11 3a/3b yr 12.

I wanted to be a military pilot since i was 3 so i been doing research and alot of right stuff since i was in school.