1 Us Cag & Raaf

Big-E

Banned Member
At present would 1 fully loaded US CAG match the RAAF in total strike and AA missions? Would 48 US Super Hornets match the current capabilities of RAAFs Hornets that are operational. Are six E-2 Hawkeyes a match for RAAF AWACs capabilities? Considering advantages of Super Bugs over older models would RAAF be able to match the EW required to protect her Hornets as the fewer needed to protect the stealthier E/F models in strike packages? Could the RAAF outside of operational range of bases have enough tanker support to equal sortie rates of 1 US CAG? Can the RAAF outperform US CAG Vikings and SeaHawks in ASW?

A

Aussie Digger

It's an interesting question, I guess. RAAF has a maximum of 57 "HUG Bugs" operational at any one time. More could be pressed into service in an absolute necessity with 2 Operational Conversion Unit being made operation with it's 10 or so bugs.

The 6x Wedgetails RAAF is getting should be far superior to E-2C Hawkeye in capability, as Hawkeye 2000 was one of the options looked at for the RAAF AWACS capability, and rejected as not being sufficiently capable.

With the 5x A330 tankers, our A2A refuelling capacity will be the best it's ever been, however that's not saying much, it'll still be "thin" at best. Another 3-5 would be necessary to ensure a really robust capability.

Our 19x AP-3C Orions are significantly more capable in the MPA and ASW roles than the Viking I should think and vastly outnumber that carred by a single carrier, and there's no reason our SeaHawk, would be any less capable than the US's.

In A2A roles, we operate the latest model AMRAAM missiles and the RAAF rates the AIM-132 ASRAAM as superior to the AIM-9X when they evaluated these for their new WVR missile requirement. However I don't think AIM-9X is operational in the USN (still using AIM-9M I believe), whereas ASRAAM has been operational in the RAAF since 2004. ASRAAM is most definitely superior to AIM-9M, so RAAF has a slight edge there.

RAAF is to operate JASSM, which it rated as superior to SLAM-ER, plus JDAM which is operated by the USN. RAAF does not operate a dedicated SEAD capability or a dedicated EA capability, so is quite a bit behind there.

I'd say, considering ALL the available assets, the entire RAAF could muster just a bit more capability than a single US carrier, but not by much.

Pretty ordinary really, in that light...

Supe

Aussie Digger said:
I'd say, considering ALL the available assets, the entire RAAF could muster just a bit more capability than a single US carrier, but not by much.

Pretty ordinary really, in that light...
lol...amazing to think the U.S operates 12 carriers, each with a capability approximating RAAF strike assets.

Is there a 'use by date' for the RAAF to exercise options on picking up more Wedgetails?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
Can the RAAF outperform US CAG Vikings and SeaHawks in ASW?
AFAIK all the Vikings are withdrawn and none are geared for ASW anyway. Their role changed to mission tasking some years ago.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012-aust said:
AFAIK all the Vikings are withdrawn and none are geared for ASW anyway.Their role changed to mission tasking some years ago.
I am well aware of AFC 284, but these things take time so to say the are all gone is un-true. The VS squadrons will officially be gone on Sept. 30th. I am going to see a shipmate of mine at a Sea Control VS-41 squadron decom in 3 months. Here's the contact info he gave me.

http://www.vs41.navy.mil/

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
I am well aware of AFC 284, but these things take time so to say the are all gone is un-true. The VS squadrons will officially be gone on Sept. 30th. I am going to see a shipmate of mine at a Sea Control VS-41 squadron decom in 3 months. Here's the contact info he gave me.

http://www.vs41.navy.mil/
damn shame about seeing them go. are any left doing an ASW role though? I was under the clear impression from Proceedings etc that the anti-sub role was basically gone and they were consigned to utility roles.