The legislation increases Social Security withholding taxes to 6.2 percent. For the past two years during the “tax holiday” the rate was 4.2 percent.
The increase in Social Security withholding taxes affects both military and civilian paychecks, officials said.
For civilian employees, officials said, this will mean a 2 percent reduction in net pay.
For military personnel, changes to net pay are affected by a variety of additional factors such as increases in basic allowances for housing, subsistence, longevity basic pay raises and promotions. Service members could see an increase in net pay, no change or a decrease, military personnel and readiness officials said.
For military members, Social Security withholding is located on their leave and earnings statement in the blocks marked “FICA taxes” — for Federal Insurance Contributions Act.
Defense Department civilians will see the change on their leave and earnings statement under “OASDI” — for old age, survivors, and disability insurance.
Reserve component members will be the first to see potential changes in their net pay as a result of the law, DFAS officials said. Changes will be reflected in their January paychecks.
Active-duty military personnel will see pay adjustments in their January mid-month paycheck and will be reflected on the January leave and earnings statement.
DOD civilians will see social security withholding changes reflected in paychecks based on the pay period ending Dec. 29, 2012, for pay dates beginning in January.
DFAS stresses that all personnel should review pay statements carefully.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- NZDF General discussion thread
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Singapore Army Pictures
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates