Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today announced that the final of three Counter Rocket Artillery and Mortar (C-RAM) Giraffe radars has arrived in Australia.
Mr Clare said two radar systems are currently operating in Tarin Kot. This third system will be used to train troops ahead of their deployment to Afghanistan.
“The Giraffe radars provide our troops with early detection of attacks from enemy rockets, artillery and mortars, protecting Australian and ISAF forces,” Mr Clare said.
“The addition of a third Giraffe radar to train our soldiers before they deploy means they will be trained to use the full range of the radar’s capabilities from the time they hit the ground.”
Australia assumed responsibility for early detection against rocket, artillery and mortar attacks at Tarin Kot from 28 December 2010.
The new Giraffe radars have replaced leased radars and were manufactured in Sweden by SAAB AB under an $86.2 million contract, which includes support services.
Australia’s C-RAM Sense and Warn capability consists of Giraffe radars, a number of lightweight counter mortar radars, and Command and Control, and warning equipment.
The new radars are the latest in a range of force protection initiatives that over the past few years has delivered $1 billion in equipment to protect our troops in Afghanistan including:
- Up-armouring the Bushmasters;
- New combat body armour;
- Heavier calibre weapons; and
- New ground-penetrating radar trucks to clear roads of IEDs before troops travel on them.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Indonesian Army
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russia might make ICBM submersible
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Go Bag - contents and rationale
- Air Power Australia and Low-Observability
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates