ITT Exelis has been awarded a contract valued at more than $125 million by Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, Md., to deliver the latest variant of the AN/ALQ-214 airborne jammer.
The AN/ALQ-214 is a subsystem of the Integrated Defensive Electronic Countermeasures (IDECM) suite. Under this contract, Exelis will engage in the second full-rate production lot of the new AN/ALQ-214 (V)4/5 system.
The AN/ALQ-214(V)4/5 combines sensitive digital receivers and active countermeasures to protect aircraft from radio frequency (RF) threats such as air defense radars and guided missiles. The new variant of the ALQ-214 system will be used on both the Department of the Navy F/A-18 C/D Hornet and F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet aircraft. The previous variant is utilized on the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet aircraft only.
“The enhanced ALQ-214 ensures warfighters are equipped with the most advanced electronic self-protection system,” said Joe Rambala, vice president and general manager of the Exelis integrated electronic warfare systems business. “Our new system is not only designed to address current and future RF threats, but it also extends this level of protection to additional platforms, allowing more pilots to complete their missions safely.”
Deployed with the U.S. Navy and Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet, existing legacy AN/ALQ-214 IDECM systems will continue to provide detect-and-defeat protection against RF threats well into the future. Exelis will produce the AN/ALQ-214(V)4/5 at its facility in Clifton, N.J., with system deliveries under this contract planned through 2015.
Exelis is a diversified, top-tier global aerospace, defense, information and technical services company that leverages a 50-year legacy of deep customer knowledge and technical expertise to deliver affordable, mission-critical solutions for global customers. Headquartered in McLean, Va., the company employs about 19,900 people and generated 2012 sales of $5.5 billion.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:US military first electronic counter measures aircraft, US navy air force
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012