The contract, valued at approximately USD 215 million, provides for the updating of electronic warfare systems, command and control systems, electronic countermeasures and air surveillance radar.
Atech, a Embraer Defense and Security company, participates in the development of the command and control system. The contract also comprises six mission planning and analysis stations that will be employed in the training and improvement of crews.
Built on the platform of the successful ERJ 145 regional jet, with more than 1,100 units delivered and 19 million flight hours, the E-99 operated by FAB is able to detect, track and identify targets in their patrol area and transmit this information to allied forces. The aircraft can perform airspace management, fighter positioning and interception control, signals intelligence and surveillance missions. It will also be used to provide security for major sporting events that will take place in Brazil in the coming years.
“This upgrade will allow the Brazilian Air Force to continue operating with excellence an important part of national air defense system,” said Luiz Carlos Aguiar, President of Embraer Defense and Security. “The E-99 plays a strategic role within the FAB in the control of airspace and the surveillance of our borders.”
“Over the last decade, the Air Force confirmed the high value of these Early Warning and Control aircraft in the accomplishment of its mission,” said Brigadier Carlos de Almeida Baptista Junior, President of Copac – Aircraft Program Coordinating Committee Battle for the Brazilian Air Force. “Keeping them updated and expanding its operational capacity will ensure that they will continue to contribute significantly to the efficiency of the Brazilian Air Force.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russia might make ICBM submersible
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Go Bag - contents and rationale
- Air Power Australia and Low-Observability
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- The Indonesian Army
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion