Defense Department officials today released a policy statement that explains how the defense strategic guidance announced in January will shape U.S. military engagement in the Western Hemisphere.
“In the Western Hemisphere, a remarkable transformation has taken place. Countries are doing more than ever before to advance peace and security both within and beyond their borders,” Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said in a written statement. “Their efforts and vision provide the United States with a historic opportunity to renew and strengthen our defense partnerships in the region.”
The statement also describes DOD defense policy goals of promoting mature, professional national defense institutions; fostering integration and interoperability among partners; and promoting hemispheric defense institutions, officials said.
At a news conference today, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little noted that Panetta leaves tomorrow for a weeklong trip that will include visits to Peru and Uruguay and participation in the Defense Ministerial of the Americas.
“Given that schedule, it is fitting and timely that today the department is releasing a Western Hemisphere defense policy statement,” Little said.
DoD: Western Hemisphere Defense Policy Statement (386 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Potential of Gripen M, the naval variant...
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Scottish Independence
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- British Army News and Discussion
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Scottish Navy
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates