Sweden’s Defense Minister Karin Enstrom says the military should get a total of 70 new JAS Gripen combat aircraft, ten more than Parliament had earlier decided.
Those flights and the ongoing insecurity in Ukraine has alarmed Swedish officials.
“Russia’s actions in and around Ukraine has led to uncertainty in Europe. What happened in the past has made it really necessary to strengthen Sweden’s defense,” Enstrom told the Swedish daily newspaper, Dagens Nyheter.
Parliament had already agreed to purchase 60 Jas Gripen’s, which are made and designed by Saab AB, but Enstrom believes that 10 more should be bought.
Any purchase would be preceded by proper procurement and pricing protocols to ensure fairness and transparency, she said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:youtube jas -39 gripen
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Made in Singapore Equipment
- Fire-control protocol - the Buk-M1 air defense complex
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Help identifying an NASA plane from 1966
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates