Sweden’s Defense Minister Karin Enstrom says the military should get a total of 70 new JAS Gripen combat aircraft, ten more than Parliament had earlier decided.
Those flights and the ongoing insecurity in Ukraine has alarmed Swedish officials.
“Russia’s actions in and around Ukraine has led to uncertainty in Europe. What happened in the past has made it really necessary to strengthen Sweden’s defense,” Enstrom told the Swedish daily newspaper, Dagens Nyheter.
Parliament had already agreed to purchase 60 Jas Gripen’s, which are made and designed by Saab AB, but Enstrom believes that 10 more should be bought.
Any purchase would be preceded by proper procurement and pricing protocols to ensure fairness and transparency, she said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:youtube jas -39 gripen
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- ESM device?
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates