Maritime and Coastal Security Africa will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, from 26 to 28 October 2011. For the first time DCNS and KND specialists will exhibit together and present the OPV Gowind as a response to piracy and other maritime crime challenges. DCNS and KND will be official Platinum sponsors of the symposium.
DCNS and KND decided to exhibit together at MCSA following the signature of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the promotion, construction and sale of offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) in South Africa.
The booth showcases the innovative OPV Gowind L’Adroit. The ship has a length of 87 metres, an at-sea endurance of 3 weeks and a range of 8,000 nautical miles. The top speed is 21 knots. The vessel has a flight deck that can accommodate a helicopter or UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) for air operations. It is designed for reduced crewing with a complement of 30 and space for 30 passengers. The ship features a number of major innovations for navies, commandos and coastguards: 360° panoramic visibility from the bridge, a single integrated mast for 360° radar coverage, covert deployment of fast commando boats in less than 5 minutes and provision for UAVs and USVs (unmanned surface vehicles).
The Gowind OPV L’Adroit was officially made available to the French Navy on 21 October, less than two years after construction began.
Speakers from the French Navy, DCNS and KND will present papers on the Gowind OPV L’Adroit which is DCNS’ response to piracy and other maritime crime challenges.
This close cooperation serves to illustrate the long-term partnership between DCNS and KND in order to meet the requirements of African Navies.
KND currently operates industrial facilities at the Simon’s Town Naval Dockyard near Cape Town. The company has full proficiency in the production methods associated with the OPV Gowind and is currently building several fast patrol boats for a West African country. KND is in the process of re-branding and will in the near future trade under the name NAUTIC AFRICA.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed
- Your kettle may be spying on you.
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Stealth Aircraft Operation
- British Army News and Discussion
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Kapooka Pics
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'