The US Congress approved $225 million for Israel’s Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, credited with destroying missiles fired by Hamas before they could reach their targets.
House of Representatives approved the funding by 395-8 in a late Friday vote. The Senate earlier approved the measure unanimously before the start of its five week summer recess.
The measure now awaits President Barack Obama’s signature.
The emergency spending funds, which adds to the US deficit, will restock Israel’s Iron Dome system with interceptor missiles.
The funding is part of the administration’s request of $3.1 billion for military assistance to Israel, the world’s largest beneficiary of US foreign aid.
Congress appropriated $235 million to Iron Dome last year.
The White House had originally requested about $176 million for the system for 2015, but lawmakers increased the amount. Congress often increases funding for Israeli security projects sought by the president.
Related Topic Tags
- aid, budget, congress, funding, Iron Dome, israel, middle east, military aid, missile defense, Rocket Defense
Keywords:MissileDefense|DefenceTalk|Defense&MilitaryNews-Forums-Pictures-Weapons, Congress\ Iron Dome supplamental arms to Israel
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Remote Weapon Station Project ( project mentor needed)
- Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread
- Alternative sub propulsion tech?