A successful test flight of the Y-20, a long-range heavy transport jet, took place on Saturday in the northwest of the country, the People’s Daily newspaper reported on its website.
The plane was developed in China to transport military combat and support vehicles and can carry up to 66 tons, the report said, making it China’s biggest home-grown military transport plane to date.
The Y-20 would be a “huge boost to the intercontinental strategic projection abilities of China’s air force”, the Beijing News cited an army expert as saying.
China has invested heavily in upgrading its military in recent years, rattling its neighbours in Asia. It insists its army spending is relatively low as a proportion of GDP and is not aimed at any other country.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:new military aircraft, chinese military aviation, chinese military latest, latest military aircraft, latest military tests
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Indonesian Army
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Naval Exercises
- Where are the Russian weapons in Syria?
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- RMAF Future; need opinions
- [ List of "Active" Military Aircraft ] All Nations
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion