A successful test flight of the Y-20, a long-range heavy transport jet, took place on Saturday in the northwest of the country, the People’s Daily newspaper reported on its website.
The plane was developed in China to transport military combat and support vehicles and can carry up to 66 tons, the report said, making it China’s biggest home-grown military transport plane to date.
The Y-20 would be a “huge boost to the intercontinental strategic projection abilities of China’s air force”, the Beijing News cited an army expert as saying.
China has invested heavily in upgrading its military in recent years, rattling its neighbours in Asia. It insists its army spending is relatively low as a proportion of GDP and is not aimed at any other country.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:new military aircraft, Chinatestsnewmilitarytransportplane|Aviation&AirForceNewsatDefenceTalk, chinese military aviation, chinese military latest, latest military aircraft
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015
- F-35 - International Participation
- ASEAN (and ADMM Plus) Military Exercises
- Assad's strategic options
- Indonesian Aero News