“We are developing large transport aircraft on our own to improve the capability of air transport,” spokesman Yang Yujun said at a monthly news briefing held days after photos of a Y-20 appeared online.
The advanced long-range carrier is being developed to serve the military modernization drive, as well as to meet demands in disaster relief work and humanitarian aid in emergency situations, he added.
The spokesman did not say when the Y-20s will be fitted out in force, only saying “the research and development of the large transport aircraft is going forward as planned.”
There will be a series of steps before the carriers are fitted out, “as the technology is complicated,” he added.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- British Army News and Discussion
- Scottish Independence
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Scottish Navy
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Ukranian Crisis
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Assad's strategic options