“We are developing large transport aircraft on our own to improve the capability of air transport,” spokesman Yang Yujun said at a monthly news briefing held days after photos of a Y-20 appeared online.
The advanced long-range carrier is being developed to serve the military modernization drive, as well as to meet demands in disaster relief work and humanitarian aid in emergency situations, he added.
The spokesman did not say when the Y-20s will be fitted out in force, only saying “the research and development of the large transport aircraft is going forward as planned.”
There will be a series of steps before the carriers are fitted out, “as the technology is complicated,” he added.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Stealth Aircraft Operation
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Brazilian A-1 Modernization
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35 - International Participation
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Movies with good Jet Air Combat?
- Role of rifle fire/heavier small arms/other weapons
- M16 vs AK-47?
- Should the 5.56 be replaced?
- Skunk Works unveil SR-72 concept