“We are developing large transport aircraft on our own to improve the capability of air transport,” spokesman Yang Yujun said at a monthly news briefing held days after photos of a Y-20 appeared online.
The advanced long-range carrier is being developed to serve the military modernization drive, as well as to meet demands in disaster relief work and humanitarian aid in emergency situations, he added.
The spokesman did not say when the Y-20s will be fitted out in force, only saying “the research and development of the large transport aircraft is going forward as planned.”
There will be a series of steps before the carriers are fitted out, “as the technology is complicated,” he added.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Т-35A Up and Running
- Singapore Navy
- F-35 - International Participation
- China invasion of Johnson Reef of Vietnam on March 14th 1988
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions