“We are developing large transport aircraft on our own to improve the capability of air transport,” spokesman Yang Yujun said at a monthly news briefing held days after photos of a Y-20 appeared online.
The advanced long-range carrier is being developed to serve the military modernization drive, as well as to meet demands in disaster relief work and humanitarian aid in emergency situations, he added.
The spokesman did not say when the Y-20s will be fitted out in force, only saying “the research and development of the large transport aircraft is going forward as planned.”
There will be a series of steps before the carriers are fitted out, “as the technology is complicated,” he added.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Can China develop large aircraft?
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates