Ottawa announced the move after the US House Intelligence Committee on Monday warned in Washington that equipment supplied by two Chinese firms, Huawei Technologies and ZTE Inc., could be used for spying.
“The government is going to be choosing carefully in the building of this network and it has invoked a national security exception,” said Andrew MacDougall, spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Ottawa invoked its “national security exception” to trade agreements in the building of its massive data and telecommunications network.
Huawei is already providing high-speed networks for private Canadian firms Bell Canada, Telus, SaskTel and Wind Mobile.
But Canadian authorities remain wary about the role it might play as the country rebuilds networks damaged by cyber attacks in 2010.
Huawei has rejected the US congressional report as “an exercise in China-bashing. But a former top intelligence official with Canada’s spy agency, Ray Boisvert said in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that he agrees with the risks outlined by Washington.
Shared Services Canada — the ministry tasked with building the government’s new network — also issued a statement saying it “takes cyber security seriously and operates on the advice of security experts.”
“Our government has put in place a cyber security strategy designed to defend against electronic threats, hacking and cyber espionage,” the ministry said.
The move affects the procurement of consolidated email, telecommunications and data centre infrastructure, systems and services for the government.
Related Topic Tags
- canada, communications, cyber warfare, cybersecurity, Huawei, network security, networking, security, war
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Т-35A Up and Running
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Singapore Navy
- F-35 - International Participation
- US Navy News and updates
- China invasion of Johnson Reef of Vietnam on March 14th 1988
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions
- Singapore Army Pictures