Navy ships from the United States as well as Greece, Romania and Turkey, and four destroyers from NATO’s maritime immediate reaction force and a US patrol aircraft, were to take part in the exercises, Bulgaria’s defence ministry said.
The drills will continue until July 13.
The manoeuvres are taking place in Bulgarian waters around 250 kilometers (150 miles) from the Crimean peninsula, which was controversially annexed by Moscow in March.
Since then, the United States has regularly deployed troops to eastern European countries for joint drills and sent ships to the Black Sea for exercises with NATO states in the area.
The newest exercises will include crisis response training, the Bulgarian defence ministry said, without elaborating.
Bulgaria joined NATO in 2004.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:black sea military exercise, bulgaria news, Joint NATO-Israel Military Exercises
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen. fighter aircraft F-33
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- ESM device?
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates