Navy ships from the United States as well as Greece, Romania and Turkey, and four destroyers from NATO’s maritime immediate reaction force and a US patrol aircraft, were to take part in the exercises, Bulgaria’s defence ministry said.
The drills will continue until July 13.
The manoeuvres are taking place in Bulgarian waters around 250 kilometers (150 miles) from the Crimean peninsula, which was controversially annexed by Moscow in March.
Since then, the United States has regularly deployed troops to eastern European countries for joint drills and sent ships to the Black Sea for exercises with NATO states in the area.
The newest exercises will include crisis response training, the Bulgarian defence ministry said, without elaborating.
Bulgaria joined NATO in 2004.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- The Indonesian Army
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Author Research - Exercises
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates